Registry: 1979 MG MGB MkIII
Paul Kenny's 1979 MG MGB MkIII – “Lydia”
to vote for this car or add your vehicles
The original setup for 1979 1800 cc was a single SU carb. This engine has been modified with a dual SU intake from the early 70’s for better performance.
After reverting the intake to the early 70’s there is a manual choke installed. Also the exhaust manifold precludes emissions for 1979 and is a performance enhancement,. This is not the original engine, although it comes from another 1979 has only about 60,000 miles on it. The distributer is not electronic and still has points, said to be more reliable than the early electronic systems. PO (previous owner) did not restore the car, done by his PO. The restoration was complete, although the car was originally white, the British racing green seems to be a applied a little thick making paint very easily chipped.
I have had some trouble with signal lights fuse blowing and traced to emergency hazard switch which was replaced, not sure if this totally fixed the problem, so if you have similar issues, start there. Also the connections to the electric fuel pump on the floor of the trunk should be replaced as the connectors seem to come off easily and once disconnected will starve the engine of fuel causing stall and making starting difficult.
I still have the original 1800 block as well as a transmission, starter and alternator, and the single carb with intake/exhaust.
I found a British car enthusiast in Oromocto who set the points, timing and balanced the dual carburetors. He suggested that an SU rebuild kit in the future.
Good luck and have a fun summer.
|Owner:||Paul Kenny [pjkenny]|
|Location:||Hammonds Plains, NS, Canada|
|Current Colour:||Brooklands Green|
|Body Code:||GU23T 968435P|
|Engine Type:||1.8L 4 Cyl|
|Last Updated:||2017-04-27 07:19:17|
|Magic VIN Decoder|
Factory: Abingdon, England
Engine: B-Series (1.2-2.4L) 4cyl
Body Type: 2 Seat Roadster
Series: MGB MkIII (1970-1979)
Market: USA, Left Drive
Model Year: 1979
Car Number: 482966
Engine Size: 1798cc
Engine Type: Vertical (inline)
Engine Code: Unknown!
These are "best guesses" based only on the VIN, completeness & accuracy are not guaranteed. Information entered by the owner should take precedence.
Leave a Comment
This vehicle's information was last updated on 2017-04-27 07:19:17
- Changes from 2017-04-27 07:19:17 to previous 2017-04-09 06:59:10
- Engine Code 18V883AEL036645 → 18V883AEL436645
- Changes from 2017-04-09 06:38:40 to previous 2017-04-09 06:38:06
- Engine Code 18V883AEL36645 → 18V883AEL036645
- Changes from 2017-04-09 06:38:06 to previous 2017-04-09 06:23:37
- Engine Code 18V883AEL036645 → 18V883AEL36645
- Changes from 2017-04-09 06:23:37 to previous 2017-03-20 16:03:27
- Mileage 99,999 → 60,000
- Changes from 2017-03-20 16:03:27 to previous 2017-02-13 09:07:49
- Engine Type added 1.8L 4 Cyl
- Trans Type added 4 Speed
- Nickname added Lydia
- Changes from 2017-02-13 09:07:49 to previous 2016-12-08 12:29:28
- Body Code GU231 968435P → GU23T 968435P
- Engine Code 18V88SAEL036645 → 18V883AEL036645
- Changes from 2016-12-08 12:29:28 to previous 2016-12-07 10:05:33
- Engine Code added 18V88SAEL036645
- Changes from 2016-12-07 10:05:33 to previous 2016-12-03 10:14:46
- Colour Green → Brooklands Green
- Changes from 2016-12-03 10:14:46 to previous 2016-12-03 07:43:33
- Body Code added GU231 968435P
- Changes from 2016-12-03 07:43:33 to previous 2016-12-03 06:24:18
- Vin WILLADDSOON → GHN5UL482966G
|Dec 2, 2016||Paul Kenny||Added to Registry (ID 36401)|
If this vehicle has been sold and you are the new owner, sign up to become a member (or if you're already a member, make sure you are signed in) and ask the current owner to click the "Transfer Vehicle" button from this car's page. If you have any difficulty with the process, please contact the webmaster.