AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

galotis Avatar
galotis George Van Horn
Collegeville,, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Ms. Blue"
I am restarting an 3 year old project for a friend, this is a 4.0 rover, it will have EFI, my first problem to solve is the front cover, what the best to use, and if I keep the reverse flow water pump is there a kit to mount the AC and alt? Also on second photo you can see I really don't have much clearance for oil take off, any suggestions on this? As I stated left off this 3 years ago, so am trying to remember what I did.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180603_145731.jpg    58 KB
20180603_145731.jpg

20180603_145646.jpg    37.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Restoman Avatar
Restoman Platinum Member Dana R
amston, CT, USA   USA
Hi George, I was in the same situation, and finally bought a front cover that had proper oil pump for that motor,
but converted back to V-belt c/w rotation. A bit pricey, but very fine craftsmanship.

http://www.johnealesroverv8.co.uk/3.html

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
George I can't help but will note you'll get better/more responses on the Swaps forum - this is a 1798 performance forum.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3749987 by MGB567 George I can't help but will note you'll get better/more responses on the Swaps forum - this is a 1798 performance forum.

Not exactly, Barrie.

Performance upgrades and modifications discussion for MGB, MGA, Midget and all other MG models

I do agree, he would be better off asking on the swaps forum, since this one is primarily for performance of original MG engines (1798,1500, 1275, 1250, etc). IMO, it is also for tweaking performance in all categories, not just engines.

galotis Avatar
galotis George Van Horn
Collegeville,, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Ms. Blue"
Thanks for the input, am moving to British V8 forums. who ever has control can remove this post

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
George that engine is almost the same as mine in the GT, Its a 1995 3.9L a little earlier than yours. Mine has a conventional oil pump where yours would probably have the crank driven pump. I fitted the early 3.5 front on mine timing cover W/pump etc and fiddled with a couple of different crank pulley. you can do the same and the early pump will drive off the distributor drive. You then need a new lid for the oil pump for clearance of the oil pipes to the remote filter. Here is a pic of my setup. There are some on the British V8 sight that have used your setup and kept the multi groove belt , crank oil pump etc. Mine works well but I think the crank driven pump is better.

Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine "3.9L Rover" early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits, plus a T5 ford trans. Started on the body late 2016 and complete late 2017, Did all the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Now has a nice 3.07 LSD.

Attachments:
IMG_1438.JPG    53 KB
IMG_1438.JPG

joron Avatar
joron Silver Member Michel Joron
Roxboro, QC, Canada   CAN
1977 MG MGB "Victoria"
Denis, it is very nice engine.

1977 MGB Red 'Victoria'
All Classics:
Married, 2 children, 2 dogs, MG MGB May to December.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster