AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Thurlowb Avatar
Thurlowb Silver Member Brad Thurlow
Coquitlam, BC, Canada   CAN
Rats!

I'm just fitting a set of Caldwell adjustable dampers on the rear and discovered a problem. They won't work easily with the stock RBB ASB.

As the rear suspension compresses, the ASB is going to pivot upward. In doing so, it is going to hit the copper/brass hydraulic line on the adjustable damper. (see photo) I assume that would destroy the damper.

Unless someone out there sees a brilliant solution to this it looks like I'm going to have to remove (or modify the shape) of the rear ASB.

Oh well....one more thing to think about as I try to find the right setup between the front and rear suspensions...

Brad

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
100_1521 labelled.jpg    48.8 KB
100_1521 labelled.jpg

late 64 Terry O
Milton, Ont, Canada   CAN
run a new longer line on the outside of the damper, looks clear there, just have to turn the fittings the other way around to do so......thumbs up

Thurlowb Avatar
I think the fitting that is going into the damper body (partly hidden on the picture) is the main problem. Maybe could reroute the lines, but that fitting would just need to be lower profile somehow.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Would a shorter sway bar link help?smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 02:25 PM by fast-MG.com.

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
twentyover Avatar
twentyover Greg Fast
Lives in SoCal, Resides in the Burbs of Detroit MI, USA   USA
Put a drop link (OK, an uplink) on the lever ends of the bar that goes to the body mount, lowering the lever arms? Granted, i'm probably using absolutey the rrong word here to describe

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
Why wouldn't you contact me?????

We can plumb these with flexible lines, and do that for some other cars..... I haven't dealt with anyone using a rear ASB....

Perhaps you should call me?

Peter c

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
Thurlowb Avatar
Just to clarify... I purchased the dampers from one of our members here. Peter didn’t make them incorrectly or anything like that. Had I asked, I’m sure he would have told me they might interfere with a rear ASB.

I posted just to see if anyone had some ideas, including Peter.

Given the 1” lowering blocks, I don’t think the ASB is that important. I’m going to take the bar out. I will have to take it out anyway even if only to modify it and put it back in.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3660661 by Thurlowb

Given the 1” lowering blocks, I don’t think the ASB is that important.

The rear sway bar importance may differ depending upon your choice of front bar size & your driving style.

fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
A FAB-TEK rear bar is adjustable and won't foul your fancy shocks.smoking smiley

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
Thurlowb Avatar
In reply to # 3661033 by fast-MG.com A FAB-TEK rear bar is adjustable and won't foul your fancy shocks.smoking smiley

Yes, your back end stuff interests me a lot... This off season was really about the front end. Autocross runs April - October so the plan is to learn a lot about the rear end, then make a plan...

Brad

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links