AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Twin Turbo MGB Build
Engine Turbo
mgbjag Tom Reynolds
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
I usually lurk these forums but I've been upgrading my MGB for performance (Pertronix, 10mm spark wires, 93 octane, high torque starter, etc) and think I found a very cheap way to boost performance on MGB engines.

Much like a modern sports car (e.g. Tesla), we can use electric motors to help increase the performance on our engines. I found these for a VERY affordable price on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-12V-16-5A-Electric-Turbine-Turbo-Charger-Air-Intake-Turbo-Fan-Bold-Line-Cool/152657232861

I couldn't find any other threads of members using them so here's my plan- I'm going to attach these to the front of both of SU carbs and then wire them in unison to my dash so I can adjust air flow on the fly. They spin up to 35,000rpm each so they will push a considerable amount of air into the engine which should make a lot of extra horsepower. Does anybody know how many PSI's each of these will make? This will be my first turbo engine but it looks really simple. For the cost of a tank of gas, who wouldn't use these?!

I will keep everyone posted on my build on this thread. Input is always appreciated.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MT-B Avatar
MT-B Matt T
City, NY, USA   USA
Hi Tom, welcome to the forums. There are lots of good ideas here about ways to increase the performance of your engine. I think most people believe those electric fans do not add any performance and are more of a snake oil gimmick than a real enhancement and you should probably save your money, but if you are determined to get them let us know how it works out. And be sure to search for some of the other threads on tried and tested ways to increase the performance of your engine, you might find that some of them cost a lot less than you think and make some pretty impressive gains.

In reply to # 3655994 by mgbjag I usually lurk these forums but I've been upgrading my MGB for performance (Pertronix, 10mm spark wires, 93 octane, high torque starter, etc) and think I found a very cheap way to boost performance on MGB engines.

Much like a modern sports car (e.g. Tesla), we can use electric motors to help increase the performance on our engines. I found these for a VERY affordable price on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-12V-16-5A-Electric-Turbine-Turbo-Charger-Air-Intake-Turbo-Fan-Bold-Line-Cool/152657232861

I couldn't find any other threads of members using them so here's my plan- I'm going to attach these to the front of both of SU carbs and then wire them in unison to my dash so I can adjust air flow on the fly. They spin up to 35,000rpm each so they will push a considerable amount of air into the engine which should make a lot of extra horsepower. Does anybody know how many PSI's each of these will make? This will be my first turbo engine but it looks really simple. For the cost of a tank of gas, who wouldn't use these?!

I will keep everyone posted on my build on this thread. Input is always appreciated.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Yeah, what Matt said. FWIW turbos are exhaust driven, superchargers are engine driven and leaf blowers are electric driven.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
There are some interesting YouTube videos fact checking the functionality of the electric turbo gizmos. Some of them seem to put out *less* CFM than a stock engine breathes in, making them less than worthless. That said, for $21, you aren't out a lot if your experiment fails. (And at 16.5 amps per blower, you might want to swap out the stock 43 amp Lucas alternator for a high output alternator if you haven't already.)

I don't know. It's always smoked like that/made that sound/done that.

MG David David Witham
Warwick, UK   GBR
You might want to wire them to a throttle switch so that they click in on wide open throttle only. A bit like NOS. Then you don't need to bother up rating the alternator.

onedobb Brian Voss
Youngstown, OH, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
While this is interesting, they don't rate a CFM. Normally any fan has a CFM rating. Without that, it would be impossible to determine if this would provide more or less air than the car moves on it's own. To have any affect, I would think that this would need to move a significant amount of additional air flow over the engine, and the additional load that would be placed on the electrical system just to break even.

The below video is a Roadkill episode that might be worth a look at with regards to a far fetched "diy Supercharging" concept. Not quite the electric turbocharging you are looking for, but is still entertaining to watch. More importantly, it really puts into perspective how much air flow is required. That alone causes me to doubt the validity of the unit you referenced.

Brian

converse212 Avatar
converse212 Eric Morgan
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA
1970 MG MGB "Daily Driver"
1970 MG MGB GT "Rusty"
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
While the lack of a cfm rating is troubling, the fact is that the compressor shown cannot and will not produce any significant pressure rise.

An axial compressor needs multiple rows of airfoils to build pressure, and needs to taper down in the direction of flow. The fan shown does...neither, as far as I can tell

I can see it having use as a fan to blow cool air on the carburetors to prevent heat soak perhaps...or maybe it could be put in the fresh air duct of an MGA or a Midget to increase airflow?

Daily driving a '71 MGB

Resurrecting a '58 MGA

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3656568 by converse212 While the lack of a cfm rating is troubling, the fact is that the compressor shown cannot and will not produce any significant pressure rise.

An axial compressor needs multiple rows of airfoils to build pressure, and needs to taper down in the direction of flow. The fan shown does...neither, as far as I can tell

I can see it having use as a fan to blow cool air on the carburetors to prevent heat soak perhaps...or maybe it could be put in the fresh air duct of an MGA or a Midget to increase airflow?

Na, mount 'em on the back and use them as thrusters! grinning smiley

RJP Randy Pajer
Loganville, GA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB MkIV "Little Blue B"
I see they are still pushing marine bilge exhaust fans as electric turbos. Check with a marina, might be able to pick up a couple used ones cheap to try out.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Wow.
Surely this isn't a serious discussion? I mean it's got to be totally tongue-in-cheek right? Yet, you guys are so convincing! I... I just don't know what to think. Seriously, your blowing my mind here.

Jim

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3656957 by Jim Blackwood Wow.
Surely this isn't a serious discussion? I mean it's got to be totally tongue-in-cheek right? Yet, you guys are so convincing! I... I just don't know what to think. Seriously, your blowing my mind here.

Jim

No man, NASA even does it. smiling bouncing smiley If you mount two out in front it'll suck the car forward while it pressurizes the motor!

mgbjag Tom Reynolds
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
I can see a lot of you are doubters... This is proven science with a lot of development behind it.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a8965/why-electric-superchargers-make-sense-now/

I didn't read the whole article but it's simple enough that more air = more horsepower. Maybe some of you need to relearn the basics. eye rolling smiley

The two turbines are almost here. I don't have a way to fabricate a metal plate to mount them but will prototype one using 1/4" plywood. If it works well enough on its own I will stain it and topcoat with a polyurethane finish to match my dashboard. Better yet, I may paint it the same color as the exterior (factory grabber blue).

No need to worry about the extra power the fans require. I already have an uprated 100amp lucas alternator I picked up on fleabay. smoking smiley
I will add a heavy duty 60amp fuse for the power draw.

Let's remember to all be friends here. This will be a fun experiment- maybe it will become the most popular modification on this forum! smileys with beer

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Gotta be a joke.
200watts about .26 hp

That isn't a turbocharger, that is zero boost, silly.
Is it April's fools day already?

lost more power than it takes to run those fans when the so-called pertronix upgrade(downgrade) was installed to the car.

After reading your comment I didn't read the whole article but it's simple enough that more air = more horsepower. Maybe some of you need to relearn the basics. eye rolling smiley

You've got a lot of nerve and little or no concept of basics.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-05 09:52 PM by ohlord.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3657121 by mgbjag This will be a fun experiment- maybe it will become the most popular modification on this forum! smileys with beer

Absolutely! I just ordered one; plan to jam it up me bum and fly around like Buzz Lightyear! hot smiley

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
That's what we need more silly comments from Woody

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster