Website undergoing maintenance, connection may be intermittent
MGExp

MGC Forum

Preparing the Block & Head before painting the GGL.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC GT "The Truck"
If you have your GGL out of the car for major servicing it is a good time to get to the rough castings of the Block & Head before commencing the painting.

I went over my engine with my angle grinder [a couple of days work] to remove and smooth off all the rough surfaces before painting.

This not only makes the GGL look better but it is much easier to clean the great lump of "Best British Cast Iron".

Bruce.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
BILD0901.JPG    61.5 KB
BILD0901.JPG

BILD0903.JPG    30.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
BILD0906.JPG    50.8 KB
BILD0989.JPG    54.1 KB
Ken Plumstead Avatar
Smithers, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 MG MGB
1968 MG MGC GT
Hi Bruce,

I must say, that was pretty ambitious of you. How long did it take you to do all that smoothing? I'm just about to start re-assembly of my engine (as soon as I get the head and rods back from Hap). After spending days underneath the body shell scraping off years of road grime, undercoating and POR 15 paint I don't know if I'm up to that kind of effort on the block although it really does make it look much better.

Ken

MG: Transforming gasoline into Fun!!!

m.s.macrae Murray MacRae
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand   NZL
1968 MG MGC
1994 Subaru Impreza WRX
2000 Subaru Outback "A Bit Of A Dog"
2008 Mazda 6
Bruce i would like to ask a question on your thread about the painting of the inside.
I know this was factory with some cars in BMC but first is was this standard with Cs and also does anyone have a feeling for the suitability of doing this with an engine today? Glyptal was the name of the original stuff but what about today what should we use if anything?

Murray

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JMA Avatar
JMA John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Bruce,

Good idea!
Something I should do.

Murray,

Glyptal is still being used today and is good for sealing the block and improves oil drain back. But you really need to make sure the bare surface is really clean, if it peels off and starts blocking the oil pick up....
I have used it before and scrubbed the inside of the block and then used an electrical contact cleaner that doesn't leave any residue before applying the Glyptal. If you're going to reuse it don't do the head, I've previously made that mistake, as the heat tends to make it peel. I'm in two minds whether to use it on my engine as my block doesn't have it.

John

PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Ken,Murray & John,

The grinding off of all the surface roughness, in particular around the front of the head, my Downton head is from an Austin 3 Litre, to get a smooth easy to clean engine took from memory 2 or 3 days. Angle grinders are ideal for this.

The factory engine has a red/orange paint internally as in the attached photos, it is all still there after all these years [I carefully instructed the machine shop who bored my block not to tank the block, the cam bearings have never been removed] so the internal paint is intact.

My factory head is under the stairs and has been there for decades so I cannot see what the outside finish was like on the MGC head, too bloody heavy & awkward to get it out to look at.

My engine is brush painted in a modern enamel made up to match the rear lifting plate which I removed decades ago as it served no useful purpose without the factory special lifting tool. It looks very close to this plate going by eye. My rocker cover and oil filter cover have been sprayed, by the man who repainted the outside body, in this same paint and look great.

The engine bay is also brushed in Acrylic Lacquer matched to the factory Sandy Beige. Surprisingly I am getting sick of this bloody car now that I can no longer drive it properly and retain my licence.

Bruce.

Attachments:
BILD0855.JPG    39.8 KB
BILD0855.JPG

BILD0856.JPG    43.9 KB
BILD0902.JPG    60.6 KB
BILD0971.JPG    58.2 KB
JMA Avatar
JMA John Anderson
Surprisingly I am getting sick of this bloody car now that I can no longer drive it properly and retain my licence.

Bruce.

And this comes from someone who's other car in an M Series BMW?

Snowberry C Chris A
Havant, Hampshire, UK   GBR
1969 MG MGC
It's satisfying work. Hope you can see these pictures- in due course I hope to transform the rest of the car to a similar standard!

I empathise with you Bruce- in my part of the UK we have an increasing plague of van mounted roadside speed cameras. It's lazy, cynically revenue raising and oppressive policing in my view.

Regards
Chris

Attachments:
27608801558_2f9c9f9ef6_o.jpg    42.1 KB
27608801558_2f9c9f9ef6_o.jpg

33831107276_f6fb7bdb88_o.jpg    62.5 KB
romeo69 Stephen Curtis
, Berkshire, UK   GBR
I was informed that most police officers doing speed traps are on overtime as it has to be funded
Here is my head and Shaun’s just been worked on with our nice tapered valves

Attachments:
8DF7BC89-8980-4321-8F88-0659E9737F90.jpeg    38.8 KB
8DF7BC89-8980-4321-8F88-0659E9737F90.jpeg

ACC3485D-DAB1-43F3-A4EA-0D9E45991FBB.jpeg    60.5 KB
DE9E150A-C6F1-429E-A6D9-86494E50930E.jpeg    49.6 KB
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Chris & Stephen,

Our Police hate being on overtime operating the camera SUV's for the Transport Dept that own the SUV's. The money goes into Consolidated Revenue not back to the Police Dept. The Police know every driver hates them because of this.

One officer showed me the complete operation of the equipment [I was waiting for cars to arrive at the start point for a Mid-Week run] showing the knob to set the speed tolerance which was 11 kph over the set limit in those days. He said he normally rode motorcycles and every time he booked someone the money went to Consolidated Revenue, he said the Police Dept had to pay for the printing of the ticket books and got no money out of the speed limit regulations at all.

That was well over 12 years ago, now the speed limits are lower on most roads and the tolerance is 2 to 3 kph over whatever the posted speed is. The new trick here is mobile trailer cameras. They are just low enough to hide below the grey armco with only the armco matching grey camera/light head sticking up. Drivers get a plain brown envelope [no official markings] in the mail with an enclosed "Happy Snap" of their car or motorcycle plus the demand to pay whatever the penalty is, the ads on TV say it is for our safety. Lookout for the flock of flying pigs overhead. Even the RACQ [equivalent to the RAC] admit it is pure revenue raising after defending these money machines for decades.

Jeremy Clarkson would really love these money traps which are towed around during the night to catch out drivers. The "money rolls in" as it is almost impossible to see these rotten bloody things. On one major Highway we use once a month there are reported to be 14 of them operating.

This is why there is no point in owning a classic developed Sports Car down here these days. Fast Interstate trips using outback highways are now for historic reference only. Bored drivers are all on cell phones paying little attention and the head on crashes on non divides roads are horrible. Road Safety, BULLS**T.

Bruce.

JMA Avatar
JMA John Anderson
I live where they developed this vile tax grab.

The state government sold the speed camera business to a company aligned with Macquarie Bank so the police have nothing to do with it but they do staff the overseeing company called "Civil Compliance", sounds like something out of Soviet Russia.
The speed cameras have legislated protection that allows them to hide behind bushes, in case they are attacked by the public and anyone who attacks them gets auto jail time, also they can now sit at the bottom of hills no matter how large that hill is.

As a consequence drivers spend all their time looking at their speedos. They don't look where they are going, don't use their indicators, don't pass anything slower in case they exceed the speed limit, ignore pedestrian crossings (I've experienced that) and that is all okay as long as they don't speed. The half wit population here has swallowed their saying of "speed kills" without question.

I feel better now.

John

PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
The "Nanny State" Australia was a long time ago a free place to enjoy driving Sports Cars, that disappeared over 25 years ago.

The Speedo error ADR [Australian Design Rules] rules have been changed to sort of make Victoria's [Victoria started this "Tax Cam" racket and got away with it] once illegal speed program legal. In the first years if Victorians could afford the money and time to go to court they were let off as what Victoria was doing was outside the Speedo accuracy legislation at that time. Most drivers simply paid up and the system was established.

Other States saw the $'s that Victoria was ripping off their motorists and so it became a 'Me Too' progression to all the other Stated and finally a new set of Speedo accuracy rules. No car can be sold if the Speedo reads lower than the so called true speed, no account has been considered for tyre pressures, vehicle load, tyre wear etc. Boy how the money rolls in.

Almost a State by State competition to see who can rip off the motorist the best. I simply refer to it a a "Road Tax" I expect in time the points system will be abolished and all motorists will get a quarterly 'Road Tax' account like the Electricity & Gas accounts.

With the best roads we have ever had, the best tyres and the best & safest cars ever this is beyond a Government Joke. Even riding a bicycle up here is a hazard, if pulled up the cyclist is asked for their driving licence, the looney (read greenies) groups are trying to get bicycles to carry registration plates, roller skates anyone.

Bruce.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster