AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JMA Avatar
JMA John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Gary,

I wouldn't bother applying it to your exhaust, there are ceramic exhaust paints available and I'm told they're a waste of time and money.

The same people who coat your headers can do the rest of your exhaust if you felt that way inclined, I know some hot rodders have their whole exhaust systems coated but more for appearance than anything as practical as keeping your cabin cool. When I had my headers done I was also quoted to have the whole system coated, there have been times when I wondered if should've had it done.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-17 12:49 AM by JMA.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC GT "The Truck"
John & Gary,

When my Downton mild steel headers arrived in 1970 I had the outside metal sprayed with reflective aluminum. This was done mostly for appearance. Rusting mild steel looks awful in an engine bay. I was pleased to note that the area around the inlet manifold and SU's was actually cooler with the metal sprayed aluminium.

I now have 16 gauge stainless steel headers copied exactly from the first set of Downton ones. SS transfers much less heat than does mild steel. Later I had the SS headers ceramic coated inside and out and also the outside only of the mild steel inlet manifolds.

This has made a difference. i added a sheet of that alloy/ceramic/alloy heat shielding between the two 22 guage [spaced 10 mm apart] aliminium heat shields for the SU's. So a 3 layer shield with air gaps, this works.

With all my work on reducing transferred heat my GGL idles between 600 & 700 rpm everywhere very smooth and constant now. The distributor mapping has NO advance below 1,000 rpm so my engine idles more like a Jaguar 6 than the up & down wandering MGC engine did as delivered. No more engine stalling in traffic.

I think spraying the exhaust system with any paint would not work, I fitted the heat shielding as per the attached photos and that does work but looks awful. I do not waste my time with Show & Shines or Concours competitions.

I have just returned from a 9 mile test run checking the car for an overnight 2 day Mid-Week run tomorrow. The ambient temperature was 29 C and I had the AC on low fan with a minimum temperature setting. The car was very comfortable, cool and quiet just as I expect it to be and totally unlike a normal C-GT.

I recommend all C-GT owners pay attention to reducing heat transfer into the cabin and fit AC to their cars. I used 3M 35 % Black Chrome window tint film on the side and rear glass, The windscreen is a tinted ( legal 25%) and banded screen.

Bruce.

Attachments:
Master Copy of CD Photos JAN 2010 179.jpg    53.7 KB
Master Copy of CD Photos JAN 2010 179.jpg

Master Copy of CD Photos JAN 2010 198.jpg    45.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Master Copy of CD Photos JAN 2010 201.jpg    67.6 KB
Master Copy of CD Photos JAN 2010 208.jpg    38.8 KB
tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Mark,

Here is the listing for the product. It is not cheap but the quality is very good. It is "peel & stick". My car was blasted to bare metal and then epoxy primered so I had a nice clean surface to attach it. They also make a seam tape to finish the installation and make a clean professional look...

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/hp-sticky-shield

I chose ThermoTech for the inside covering. It is another peel & stick product that works very well. DynaMat is stupid expensive.... Your expense is for the name rather than the product.

Just my 2 cents.

https://www.thermotec.com/products

In reply to # 3718422 by MSBsMGB Paul, I've been thinking about doing something like this. How did you install it?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
Ceramic coated exhaust ducts cut heat by about 100 degrees F. AH used asbestos attached to galvanized over the silencer as did Jag E type. Those car makers also used similar as carb shieds. All I have found with properties of asbestos are woven and a PIA to cut without fraying. The body of heat comes from the engine bay and flows through the tunnel which is what I would try to insulate keeping in mind that trapped moisture actually protected by insulation/undercoating will eat a car body faster. I believe insulating the tunnel inside and over the silencers to be the key to heat transfer, sealing the firewall with fresh grommets and insulation is a good idea as well.

What I chose in lieu of insulated galvanized is mirror polished stainless. While the properties are not insulatory, the reflective/radiant factor are slim easily attached and with a couple of galvanized washers effective in promoting air flow beneath the car and putting heat behind the car. It is part of the reason I chose the material to create NA spec carb heat shields of which I have had no complaints.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017
cell 563 940 1864

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match any retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3718522 by tahoe36c ...expense is for the name rather than the product.

Just my 2 cents.

x2 thumbs up

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017
cell 563 940 1864

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match any retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
Tuko43 Avatar
Tuko43 Frank Kingston
Merritt Island, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1969 MG MGC GT
I used both and I am not overwhelmed. It's still gets hot but I think the noise is toned down.

Like John says.........if it's hot outside, it's going to be hot in the car.

Do something with the wheel wells.....the tire noise is the worst.

Attachments:
P2130045.jpg    55.3 KB
P2130045.jpg

P2220042.jpg    33.2 KB
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
Frank,

My car is NOT hot inside with the AC operating, the chrome ring around the gear stick is barely warm with ambient temperature of 27 C. There is NO tyre noise with the Michelin Energy MX1+ tyres I am using on the car.

The 'C' does show up tyre noise and I found some tyre brands (tread pattern) were terrible for noise, so tyre selection is important as regards cabin noise.

On both my MGB with hardtop & the C-GT the Pirelli Cinturato tread pattern was very noisy.

My car is not noisy on corrugated gravel roads inside the car. The MGC-GT benefits from both acoustic and heat insulation as I have achieved in my car.

Bruce.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster