This topic is about my 1969 MG MGC GT
stolizino Avatar
stolizino Silver Member Gary Kinslow
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB MkII "HRH Camille Of Marmite"
1969 MG MGC GT "Percival Snickersnacker"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Grover"
2006 BMW M Roadster "Manfred"    & more
So, with summer around the corner in Texas, our Bs and Cs will soon remind us they're best enjoyed in the southern hemisphere this time of year, but we'll continue to drive and sweat. Especially the C with that big cast-iron lump throwing out the heat.

I'm looking at AC options for Percival but before buying a single component I'll have the windows tinted and will be pulling the seats, carpeting and door cards to install insulation in the entire passenger cabin below the window sills and including the rear seat bulkhead.

The Lizardskin spray-on ceramic heat insulation looks like an easily applied option,sprayed or brushed, involving no cutting and fitting. Then it can be topped with another spray coat of Lizardskin sound insulation, which Percival dearly needs. Not cheap, but if it's effective it's worth every penny. Who can share their experiences with Lizardskin products? Would you use them again?

How about your experience with equally expensive Dynamat or Hushmat or other metallic insulation? What about the prospect of topping the Lizardskin coating with the metallic insulation? I want to do this only one time so it needs to be right.

FWIW, since the carpeting will be out I'm considering painting the footwell bulkheads a glossy white to add some ambient reflected light when working under the dash with seats removed and my head and shoulders in the footwell. Has anyone ever found that to be worthwhile?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JMA Avatar
JMA John Anderson
Donvale, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Gary,

I have used Dynamat with Dynaliner laid on top, but not on the MG.

Dynamat isn't strictly speaking a metallic insulation, it's a bitumen type product with a thin layer of aluminium laid over it, and it is very heavy but it dampens the drumming of bare metal very well. Dynaliner is a rubberized foam that's available in 3 thickness's (by memory) that doesn't absorb moisture but will hold it and is generally laid over the Dynamat that combines to provide a quieter and cooler cabin. But it's a right royal pain to cut and fit particularly when the weather heats up and folds on itself as it sticks like poo to a blanket.

It is expensive but whether it's better or worse than other products is probably up to personal preference. Having said that I have heard good things about Lizardskin.

John

stolizino Avatar
John, I noticed your Maniflow exhaust. Is your CGT a triple carb?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JMA Avatar
JMA John Anderson
Gary,

Ahh, not quite.
See the photos from this morning.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-12 12:58 AM by JMA.

Attachments:
P4120322.JPG    49.4 KB
P4120322.JPG

P4120321.JPG    44.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
stolizino Avatar
Looking good, sir!thumbs up Hope you post pics of the final results!

chormy Avatar
chormy Gold Member Shaun Holmes
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1963 MG MGB MkI "3330 PE"
1964 MG MGB MkI
1967 MG MGB GT "BABE"
1967 MG MGC    & more
I still have a pile of original matting weighs a ton and needs plenty of heat to get it to mould. I shan't be using it.

Nice TB's John who makes them, using short inlets as well, long trumpets!!

Member Services:
MGC & B racing, incorporating MGCspares from a good used or rare part to remanufactured items to keep your C as you would like it. NEW Alloy items have arrived UK made see website. MGC and early/late B alloy radiators from stock www.holmesracing.co
JMA Avatar
JMA John Anderson
Shaun,

The manifolds are short but the photos make them look shorter, they're Maniflow. I know a few people are dismissive of them but they're available and I'm happy with the quality.

The throttle bodies are made by EFI Hardware and are tapered from 45mm to 43mm butterflies down to 40mm. I'll be using spacers to an airbox that will have 105mm trumpets inside.

Sorry to go off subject Gary.

John

stolizino Avatar
In reply to # 3715351 by JMA Shaun,

The manifolds are short but the photos make them look shorter, they're Maniflow. I know a few people are dismissive of them but they're available and I'm happy with the quality.

The throttle bodies are made by EFI Hardware and are tapered from 45mm to 43mm butterflies down to 40mm. I'll be using spacers to an airbox that will have 105mm trumpets inside.

Sorry to go off subject Gary.

John

My fault. Easily distracted by functional bling.eye popping smiley

flyingjohn Avatar
flyingjohn John L
Kent, Maidstone, UK   GBR
1969 MG MGC GT "RTE 935G"
If I have one complaint about mine its the noise. Used copious dynamat and have layers of felts in the little ridges in the floor pans and then another overall layer of felt and then the carpets and footmats.

Its still very loud, road noise and wind noise are the most irritating, I dont mind the soothing noises the engine makes. I wonder whether my tyres are wrong perhaps.

John

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
Down side to insulation is trapped moisture...fwiw.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017
cell 563 940 1864

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match any retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
stolizino Avatar
Seems the consensus so far may lean toward the reptile.

https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/lizardskin-complete-spray-on-insulation-kit.html

Noble66 Avatar
Noble66 Gold Member Noble Bradford
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "Black Betty"
1969 MG MGC GT
1974 MG MGB "Whitey"
I’m thinking about doing as much spray on stick on insulation in the C/GT as it gets A LOT less water inside than the 64B. I have the AC kit (Modified Nostalgic 77-80B kit) to install and would like it to be as comfortable as possible.

The 64B will get a non stick on heat shield on the underside of the floors, firewall, tunnel. Maybe some Lizard Skin on the inside.

Keeping as much heat outside of the cabin is my strategy.

stolizino Avatar
Noble, inquiring minds want to know the particulars of your Nostalgic unit and its installation. Please keep us in the loop.

PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC GT "The Truck"
Gary,

I fully agree with your comments about the bloody hot C-GT in Sub Tropical climates, OK when young but just too hot in older age.

I did not know about Dynamat and other insulating materials when I fully insulated my cabin. I used a shredded rubber 75% air 25% sheeting 1/4" (6 mm) thick. This is more designed to reduce vibration and noise than heat alone. It was a true PITA to fit and took a few months of part time work to complete. Over this I fitted multiple layers of creased up then flattened out Alfoil [kitchen aliminium foil] to reduce heat transfer. Recently I added a better heat insulation [aliminium composite material] over this. 10 mm pure wool mats go over the footwell floor then the rubber floor mats.

The heater, firewall and under the tunnel is insulated with the rubber material, tunnel sprayed with a Chrome finish spray paint to reduce heat and prevent moisture penetration. The heater will never win a Concours prize but as the cabin fresh air has to go via the heater box it was important to keep the heater casing as cool as possible.

The on road result is amazing, very little road noise [even on corrugated gravel] and under the left seat is barely warm. The chrome ring around the gearbox is just warm after an all day summer run.

The insulated and air conditioned C-GT is wonderful for drivers in their 60's and up. On a 3 week tour to North Queensland [Tropical] our car was very comfortable every day.

Bruce.

Attachments:
Insulation from side..jpg    73.4 KB
Insulation from side..jpg

Insulation Left top and side..jpg    89.1 KB
Insulation Right side..jpg    75 KB
Insulation, top view..jpg    58.8 KB
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
Gary,

4 more photos of the car as it is now. I think I have added about 20 Kg overall to the car but it is all in the centre and down low. I have more than enough power so it does not matter.

Bruce.

Attachments:
EZ Final Installation 2 SEP 12 015.jpg    73.6 KB
EZ Final Installation 2 SEP 12 015.jpg

Master Copy of CD Photos JAN 2010 058.jpg    64.7 KB
Master Copy of CD Photos JAN 2010 151.jpg    76.5 KB
Master Copy of CD Photos JAN 2010 153.jpg    88.9 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster