MGExp

MGC Forum

New starter for Percival? Nope. Repaired.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

stolizino Avatar
stolizino Silver Member Gary Kinslow
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB MkII "HRH Camille Of Marmite"
1969 MG MGC GT "Percival Snickersnacker"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Grover"
2006 BMW M Roadster "Manfred"    & more
Looking for recommendations for the purchase of a gear reduction starter for the MGC. I'm not into original equipment when newer, more reliable technology is available. Newer Interstate battery is charged, fuel pump pumps, 90A alternator alternates, cable connections are sound but no crank, no click. This has been coming on for awhile. Sometimes the starter would be sluggish as if the battery wasn't fully charged, then the next second it would spring to life and start the engine, but those occasions became more infrequent as time passed. Now it's just nonresponsive. Remote starter cable leads attached to the solenoid terminals yields no results.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-15 03:10 PM by stolizino.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC GT "The Truck"
1968 MG MGC GT "The Truck"
Gary,

The possible problem is simple to fix. In the starter solenoid is a copper bar that contacts 2 copper studs, over the decades this bar becomes badly pitted and there is not enough current passed to operate the solenoid so no starter.

I had to dismantle the solenoid end to get at this bar and then clean up the surface and the studs then the starter operated as when new. This is a common problem with all LUCAS starters that are very old or starters that have had a lot of use.

Once the contacts are cleaned the starter should run for a few more decades.

Bruce.

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
90% of all Lucas issues are on the earth side. Extremely important all terminals having to do with starting be periodically cleaned/greased to prevent corrosion interference.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
stolizino Avatar
Thanks for the advice, Bruce and Robert. I'm considering the Gustafson (Nippondenso) gear reduction starter sold under the British Starters brand by classiccarperformance.com for $189.99 delivered, simply to put less stress on the battery when starting. If this doesn’t seem like a sound idea pls let me know!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 11:02 AM by stolizino.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Swamperca Avatar
Swamperca Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"
1971 MG MGB "Rubee"
1974 MG MGB "Groovy B"
Have your starter rebuilt and a new solenoid, less headaches.

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
Everything you describe indicates to me a fouling of the connections NOT a specific problem with the starter. Until or unless you rule out the base issues a new starter is NOT going to solve the problem of bad connections. As Swamerino suggests possibly a bad solenoid and nothing more. I do not suggest you don't have an issue with the starter, easily and mostly free to check at any corner parts store, but the issue as described isn't typical of just a bad starter. Reasonable cost and likely a Nippon Denso unit . I suggest it is a universal unit and NOT MGC specific. Good luck! smileys with beer

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match most retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
jsrivard Avatar
jsrivard Silver Member Joel Rivard
Ramstein, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany   DEU
1968 MG MGC GT "Maggie"
I'd definitely check the starter first before just replacing it to rule out bad wiring upstream of the solenoid as Mr. Kirk suggests. You can short the starter solenoid to 12v and if it starts then your problem is not the solenoid or starter.

One of these is a handy tool to have in the garage:
http://a.co/1K5YG6l

Cheers,
Joel

MGC Life Blog: https://mgc.is-great.net/
MGC "how-to's" available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDMf5tRcUOG0ueyizruhv5w/

stolizino Avatar
Thanks for the comments, folks. I am getting power to the solenoid, but no response. Can I disassemble the solenoid without first removing the entire starter assembly? Also, I have Evapo-Rust liquid and gel that I had bought to remove rust from the engine nuts and bolts prior to repainting. Would it be beneficial to apply some Evapo-Rust to the solenoid contacts before pulling it?

Swamperca Avatar
Swamperca Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"
1971 MG MGB "Rubee"
1974 MG MGB "Groovy B"
Gary: Pull the starter and replace the solenoid with a new one, they are cheap. The starter is easy to pull from the bottom.

stolizino Avatar
Woo hoo! Success! As I disconnected the leads from the solenoid in preparation for pulling the starter I decided, just for kicks, to spray a bit of PB Blaster onto the solenoid-battery cable stud and the solenoid-ignition wire clip. Went from dull grey to shiny copper. Reconnected and turned the key. Started cranking, but slowly, then nothing. F**k! But I was onto something. Had overlooked the lower solenoid stud for the cable that sends the juice directly into the starter motor. Caked with rust. PB Blaster again, turn the key again and the starter cranks faster than at any time since I met Percy. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Like a new starter.

I may be a slow learner, but I usually get there. Now to tackle the backup lights and brake lights. I happen to have spare switches for both, but maybe a PB spritz will do the trick. I'm on a roll.

Thanks to all for your coments.

stolizino Avatar
Joel, great minds think alike. I have one of those and it saves many footsteps.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster