AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Air intake for carbs
  This topic is about my 1968 MG MGC GT
321ignition Nick Tobin
Paignton, Devon, UK   GBR
A few questions regarding the recessed panel in the rad. frame, see attached photo.

Why was the recessed section designed into the panel?
Is it easy to remove?
Would it make any difference to the performance of the MGC with the normal carb/air cleaner setup?
Thanks,
Nick.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
S5004238.JPG    30.1 KB
S5004238.JPG

C8407 Avatar
C8407 Silver Member Craig Cummings
Williamsburg, VA, USA   USA
The panel should come out easily with a good hit with a hammer. On the US Spec Cs the hole is there for the carburetor fan hose. Picture is with the hose removed, With the panel removed, the hole should allow more air to the air box.
Craig

Attachments:
100_8014.JPG    41 KB
100_8014.JPG

kirks-auto Platinum Member Robert Kirk
Davenport, IA, USA   USA
I've got that hose Craig if you need it to fill the hole and complete the circuit. Bone on correct repro.

Regards,
Robert Kirk

kirkbrit@yahoo.com
E-mail PLEASE for quote/questions/orders

Business phone 563 323 1017
cell 563 940 1864

http://kirks-auto.com/
Moss distributor/UK importer
Beat or match any retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.

Attachments:
NA spec carb cooling fan hose PN AHC825.JPG    27.2 KB
NA spec carb cooling fan hose PN AHC825.JPG

mgcbrian Brian Hutchison
Hampshire, UK   GBR
1968 MG MGC
1969 MG MGC
Nick.Don't hit it with a hammer not only will it not come out but the hammer is likely to rebound back on you!! US cars had this as an opening to accommodate the carb blower hose. Not specified on UK cars. Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HatchTime Avatar
HatchTime Shaan P
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
1968 MG MGC "Scarlet"
1970 MG MGB
Only US spec cars had a front carb air blower installed, no need on a UK car. This is why the hole is plugged on your car.

C8407 Avatar
C8407 Silver Member Craig Cummings
Williamsburg, VA, USA   USA
When I converted my C from auto to 5 speed, I smacked the blanking plate out on the right side with a hammer............

Attachments:
100_6901.JPG    45 KB
100_6901.JPG

321ignition Nick Tobin
Paignton, Devon, UK   GBR
Thanks Brian, maybe leave it alone.

PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGC GT "The Truck"
The UK RHD cars were very slow to warm up from cold with plug fouling and a lot of choke required.

Motoring Journo's in the UK really panned the car for this unwanted feature.

I expect this is why that hole had a plate tack welded over it for RHD cars. I never knew about the purpose of this hole until I joined this Forum.

Very early on I removed this cool air restriction, simple just use a cold chisel and a hammer to break the 4 low quality tack welds and the plate comes off easily leaving barely a mark in the panel.

With the triple SU conversion all these factory cold starting problems simply go away, start the engine reduce the choke as quickly as possible then drive away. No plug fouling or lack of torque, a huge improvement on the terribly designed RHD inlet manifold.

LHD cars have the much better inlet manifold as the cars could not meet California's clean air regulations with the useless RHD unit with the SU's 2" (50 mm) closer together.

On my GGL pulled down after 16,000 miles [to try to get this rotten bloody engine to perform] we found the piston crowns of 1 & 6 to be almost totally clean with a thin spiral of carbon on them. 2, 3, 4 and 5 looked like MGB pistons. We knew why the gutless thirsty engine would not go as a 3 Litre 6 should.

This was the beginning of my buying the very expensive Stage 3 Conversion from Downton Engineering. What a difference that made, now it was more like a 3 Litre 6 and it used much less fuel as well.

Bruce.

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
Brisbane, QLD, Australia   AUS
1959 MG MGA Twin-Cam Coupe "Basket Case"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
If the opening is closed in the UK cars, wouldn't it reduce the bleed of airflow from the radiator and improve cooling? So a US car without the carby fan should run cooler if the plate is added.

Mark

markmga Avatar
markmga Mark Wellard
Brisbane, QLD, Australia   AUS
1959 MG MGA Twin-Cam Coupe "Basket Case"
1961 MG MGA 1600
1969 MG MGC
To answer my own question - covering the blower hole in a US car that doesn't have the carby blower fitted is helpful in slow traffic. I covered mine and the temp was reduced by at least 5°C today with the temperature in the mid thirties (°C) at slow speeds. Later, at highway speeds with the temp around 40°C the gauge was hovering between 92-97°C so I would say it is not so important because cooling is not relying on the fan efficiency.

Mark

mgdriver Avatar
mgdriver Joern Mueller-Neuhaus
Koenigsbrunn/Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany   DEU
1964 MG MGB
1969 MG MGC GT
Its always a good idea to get cool air to the carbs, and that´s what I used this hole for: I extended the intake of the airfilter with tubing and routed it throught this hole - no more trouble with hot starting or anything like that!

Attachments:
IMG_3297.JPG    63.2 KB
IMG_3297.JPG

PFT-000 Bruce Ibbotson
Brisbane, Australia   AUS
Joern,

That is a very sensible idea which I wish I had of thought of way back in 1968 living in a Sub Tropical climate.

The engine bay in the 'C' really gets hot.

Bruce.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster