AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Patina
TX, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1958 MG MGA 1500
In more and more ads I look at the seller describes the exterior paint as having a great "patina". What does that mean? And why does it have (implied) value?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AZTD Avatar
AZTD Silver Member Mike Grogan
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
That's the craze now days.
Rusted - scratched - and then clear coat. Started on old pickup trucks.
now everyone seems to like it.
As long as it is only surface rust..
implies a barn find.

1953 MG TD TD23816

TX, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1958 MG MGA 1500
One just came up at BaT. A rust bucket in good shape mechanically. Everything is mismatched. It is getting fond attention. Almost seems someone planned it that way. I think we are reliving the '60s. Dress (down) for success.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
Patina just means something that shows wear from age. Fake patina is where you artificially age something to give it an older, worn out look. The term is grossly overused today as a sales tool. Basically if something is heavily worn, they call it patina to make it seem more valuable instead of less valuable.

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Exactly. Real patina is worth something, fake patina isn't.
Dave H

Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
On furniture, age and wear add ‘patina’. The careful application of chains, cigarette butts, stains and the odd carved initial can appear to add ‘patina’ but all they really add are bruises, burns, stains and graffiti!
Chris

Buckdendave David Hill
1954 MG TF
Yes, but they lend authenticity. We know its original and genuine because of the patina. Fake patina adds nothing to authenticity, if anything it makes the item look false. Some people want the brand new look, but even more want the patina that displays originality (but not so much that it looks tired and worn out).
Dave H

ragtc Avatar
ragtc Bob Grunau
Mississauga, ON, Canada   CAN
OK, does this TC I've owned since March 1965, last licensed in 1963, have "patina " , now being restored by my nephew.
Bob, Canada

Attachments:
IMG_4492.JPG    72.5 KB
IMG_4492.JPG

IMG_4494.JPG    36.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Buckdendave David Hill
1954 MG TF
Of course, though the temptation to "restore" it will no doubt hold sway!
Dave H

AZTD Avatar
AZTD Silver Member Mike Grogan
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Just went to check out the one on BAT.
What is with that rear bumper?
Also what is this canister next to the starter?
MGB fan. Insides does not match.
Several things wrong. But who am I to say anything about some else car?
Imported by a Army doctor? it "is" a England export, LHD.

1953 MG TD TD23816

Attachments:
online.JPG    43 KB
online.JPG

plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
I have a lot of barn find and rescued TC and Mark II TD cars, and appreciate genuine patina. Of all the cars I have, only one is what I would call restored, and I rarely drive it - it is simply too nice. (if anyone is interested in a VERY nice and completely restored $30,000 Mark II TD, please let me know - forged crank and rods, Crane cam, etc. etc. etc.).

I feel that body and interior work are so personal - and can make or break a sale - that I am happy to rebuild a drivetrain, happy to repair instruments and bushings, happy to make a car strong and reliable on the road - but I prefer to leave the interior and outside alone. And so I come in defense of the BAT black TD, which has clearly been off the road for a long time, and has been brought back to driving condition by someone with enough money to do that, but enough smarts to leave the outside alone. Yes, it's got a spin-off filter, an MGB fan, and various other sensible upgrades, but what it needs is obvious - repair of the rotten wood, repair of the dents and surface rust, a new interior, chrome and paint.

I drive a TD with terribly checked green paint, a tonneau with holes, and rusty chrome, but it's a car I would drive from Maine to New York tomorrow (after an oil change) without any fear. I drive a TC you can put fingers through the metal and wood behind the doors, faded and oxydized paint, doors held shut with hooks and eyes. But it goes like fury, drives straight and true, has a bronze master and wheel cylinders, new wiring, wheels and tires, stainless exhaust, and a supercharger. Ditto for New York above.

I'm working on another TC with similar problems - sitting since the 70's, poor paint flaking off, home-made wiring and fuse panel, but a nice runner with new brakes, runs and stops nicely. I'll let someone else deal with the paint.

So there is a lot to be said for an old car, with old surface. The black car has been mildly customized in the 50's (see Speed Age magazine's cover), and I have a similar Mark II - bobbed fenders, the same bullet lights, etc. It will make a fun car for someone who prefers to drive it rather than show it, fully gone over mechanically, but with an old surface patina. Sure, you can fake a patina, but for myself, I would prefer a genuine old car to a fully restored TD

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

PS the bottle is a top oiler - perhaps an Ampco. There was an MG Exp. thread a few years ago started by the troll who has (rightly) been kicked off the board a number of times.

plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
IMHO, this '55 has TONS of original patina, but actually scares me - it must have sat within feet of the ocean for many years, to have that much corrosion and rust. I would be frightened to have to bring that car back from the dead, without a full restoration.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183267853139?rmvSB=true&rmvSB=true

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
Don't you gust love it when they say, IT RAN WHEN PARKED!! grinning smiley . Wonder how crazy the reserve is? eye rolling smiley

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
Patina in my mind is something that time has created.

I live in a 118 year old brick home and the brick has changed color over the years. I had a quote to clean it, the $45K price tag made me appreciate the patina a lot more.

I turn 70 next week and I am sure I have accrued some patina.

Peter

Attachments:
IMG_2227.JPG    71.7 KB
IMG_2227.JPG

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Wouldn't "original patina" be a contradiction, since originally there was none? devil smiley

Matthew.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 MG MGB Limited Edition LE

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links