Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Robert H Gold Member Robert Harvey
Wichita, KS, USA   USA
1951 MG TD "Millicent Grace (Millie)"
I have an oil filter that moss supplied a few years ago that looks somewhat like the original TC-early-TD filter, but has a plug that screws into the bottom and a replaceable cartridge inside. (Moss 435-385) They don't make this anymore, but still supply the filter, although it is getting kind of pricey ($19). I am thinking about converting to a spin-on adapter, and thought I would ask the group for opinions on who makes the best one, mostly from the standpoint of functionality and fit (I would like to keep the original style hard lines, but not hard-over on this).

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ragtc Avatar
ragtc Bob Grunau
Mississauga, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Robert, I supply the spin-adapter for your MG. Uses original oil lines, banjo bolts and block mounting. Spin-on filters are available from any corner garage. Filter thread is 3/4"- 16 tpi so many filters fit. For reference, Fram PH3600 or 3614 work well. Cross reference to your favourite brand oil filter.
Adapter and PH3600 filter installed on a TC, same as a early TD.
I also supply the late TD/TF oil filter adapter for a modern spin-on filter.
For parts list and prices email me at grunau.garage@sympatico.ca or call 905-274-4136
Bob, Canada
TC8654EXU and more.

Attachments:
100_1333.jpg    71 KB
100_1333.jpg

mgyowner Roland Taras
Hemet, CA, USA   USA
Hello Robert. I also manufacture both the early and late style oil filter adapters. If you are interested contact me off site at mgyowner@yahoo.com

Butch

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
early oil filter 4.jpg    50.5 KB
early oil filter 4.jpg

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
I know you have heard from 2 manufacturers. I have one that looks like Roland's and it has worked great. I am in the process of restoring my TD and am going to go with the new can that looks just like the original, but hides a screw on filter under a cover. Best price is through From the Frame Up. About 1/2 what Moss is asking.

Bruce E. Cunha

Attachments:
435-375_1.jpg    3.4 KB
435-375_1.jpg

shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, AL, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior" ~ For Sale ! ~
1954 MG TF
Which is simplest and cheapest for a TF 1250?

mgyowner Roland Taras
Hemet, CA, USA   USA
Hello Gary. A TF should have the late style pump with the filter can attached to the pump body. For that you would need the late style adapter, see the picture. If you are interested contact me off site at mgyowner@yahoo.com

Attachments:
late oil filter adapter 03.JPG    21.2 KB
late oil filter adapter 03.JPG

shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, AL, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior" ~ For Sale ! ~
1954 MG TF
I'm interested. I like the simplicity of it. But I've got to see some sign of ever getting my car back from the painter first!

JohnR007 John Rapson
West Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
[For a TF your adapter should look like the one in Roland's post, and for my money the best filter is the K&N,I believe #HP2009, available at pretty well any parts store.

ragtc Avatar
ragtc Bob Grunau
Mississauga, ON, Canada   CAN
As I said earlier, " I also supply the late TD/TF oil filter adapter for a modern spin-on filter.
For parts list and prices email me at
" grunau.garage@sympatico.ca " or call 905-274-4136 .

Also available new TC/TF alfin brake drums, TC tapered axle shafts and new wire wheel hubs etc etc.

I agree Fram may not be the best oil filter, but I reference it as it is a popular, and inexpensive brand to cross reference to your favourite brand. Yes, K&N is a good filter, HP2009

Bob, Canada

Rod782 Avatar
Rod782 Silver Member Rod Jones
Port Charlotte, Ex Pat now in Florida, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
I put the spin on Filter for My TD (same as for the TF I believe) and stopped another leak right there cool smiley
Would highly recommend it, who's ever you go with .
I get the long filters form Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9TD2K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rod

Attachments:
Oil Filter.jpg    50.3 KB
Oil Filter.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster