MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

Where can I find dimensions and thickness of wood panels for a TD?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SalB Silver Member Salvatore Buccieri
Boxford, MA, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "Almosta Car"
I'm certain it is on the MG EXP site somewhere however, I haven't found it. I am referring to the wood panels that comprise the deck behind the seats and the 2 upright panels behind the gas tank. I need to know the dimensions and the thickness. Should I use marine plywood here?
Thanks, Sal

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cigarboy50 Dave Walters
TRAVERSE CITY, MI, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
I found this info out by calling Moss Tech Support and ask for Blaine Graham 805-679-7237 !

Good Luck !

Jim Mitchell Jim M
Birmingham, AL, USA   USA
If you have woodworking tools, you might consider making you wood parts out of Trex deck boards. I think it is available in 1" and 1.5". The material works just like real wood, but does not have grain, knots, etc so it does not expand, warp, rot, etc. I had several windows in my house with rotted parts so I built new ones out of Trex (There are several competitors with same or similar products) That was several years ago and they look like they were done yesterday.
I am negotiating for a TD and that's what I plan to use.
Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Trex you describe is way too thick for floors or back panels

Jim Mitchell Jim M
Birmingham, AL, USA   USA
Sorry about that. I thought you were talking about the small pieces like under the car. For the floor, etc, I suggest pressure treated plywood, but if you need to paint it, I suggest bleaching it first. the chemicals in the pressure treatment, make it a problem to keep paint on.
Jim

Mikelead Mike Leadbeater
York, Yorks, UK   GBR
Hi, since I am in the process of rebuilding my TD, replacing all the wood rear of the front scuttle pillars, I can give you the dimensions of the remains of the rear deck, and rear panel, behind the tank, although I am confused by your reference to two tank panels, as there is only one panel on my car..

Dimensions as follows:

Rear deck, overall 36 1/4" long, divided into three pieces (to enable removal of the centre piece) of 9 3/8", 12 1/2", and
14 3/8", width 18", in plywood of 7/16" thickness. I will just make as on piece.

Tank panel, one piece, 36 1/2" x 13 1/4", plywood 3/8" thick.

As the panel behind the tank will get wet by rain running off the rear of the hood during rainfall, this should be well painted, I shall use black gloss enamel paint.

Hope this helps,

Mike

SalB Silver Member Salvatore Buccieri
Boxford, MA, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "Almosta Car"
Mike, thanks for the measurements. Those will get me going again.
Regards, Sal

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
BEG BORROW or STEAL some POR-15. to paint on the wood. After it dries, it is like a piece of steel. and waterproof. smileys with beer

Member Services:
Mikelead Mike Leadbeater
York, Yorks, UK   GBR
Sal,
You're welcome.

Got some POR, never thought to use on wood, will give it a try.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I think that was me. ??? YUP, makes wood hard as stone.

I also use it on the rear deck in the MGBGT's which are wood, and sometimes warp. Another good thing to use with POR is FIBERGLASS. No Resin Needed. Paint on a coat of POR, lay down the Glass Mat, paint some more POR on top to saturate the glass mat. DONE. When the POR hardens,>>STONE. Cheers smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 12:33 PM by oleanderjoe.

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster