Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

michaelo Silver Member Michael Ohalloran
Dayton, md., USA   USA
what would the cost be to have a mg td/tf trans. rebuilt thanks Michael

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hurst280 Avatar
hurst280 Gold Member Sean D
Plano, TX, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "The MG"
What kind of problems are you having with it? ...to get some idea which internals may be needed.

"the pursuit is the thing, not the reward, not the gain."

TX, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1958 MG MGA 1500
Mine was nearly out of fluid. Topping off solved 70% of problem.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hurst280 Avatar
hurst280 Gold Member Sean D
Plano, TX, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "The MG"
I rebuilt mine. Internals had some wear, which I updated, but I think that adding bushings and replacing remote control rod solved most of the issues which made caused me to undertake the rebuild task.

"the pursuit is the thing, not the reward, not the gain."

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
You can’t concievably expect an estimate until it’s apart. Is the trans noisy, pop out of gear, difficult to shift? Why do you think it requires a rebuild? More likely than not the layshaft, 1st and reverse will be badly pitted. Do you bite the bullet and buy replacements? Second, you can not buy synchronizers individually. Do you then bite the bullet and buy complete slider assemblies? Then there’s the usual bearings, small parts and gaskets. Are you doing the work or a shop?

In reality to truly bring an original transmission back to its “as new” performance requires an amount that nears the cost to convert to a fully synchronized 5 spd conversion from HiGear. The plus side it the gear ratios are nearly the same in the first four gears plus the benefit of an over drive to make it more Hwy friendly. The the downside is it’s not original if that is a greater concern for your needs.

rowinghuge Avatar
rowinghuge Silver Member Hugh Pite
Sidney, BC, Canada   CAN
I have a rebuilt TD/TF gearbox for $800 USD. Send a PM if interested.
Cheers, Hugh

Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
Michael,
That's an excellent price for a rebuilt TD/TF gearbox by any standards. My advice would be to jump at it!

Regards
Declan

Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
I just had my TF gearbox rebuilt for AU$ 1200. It had been off the road for 40 years. I don’t have a list of parts with me, nor has it been run yet so I don’t know how good it will be. I do know the builder is perfectionist and he threatened not to finish the rebuild if I didn’t get the gear lever rechromed!
Chris

Robert H Gold Member Robert Harvey
Wichita, KS, USA   USA
1951 MG TD "Millicent Grace (Millie)"
I rebuilt mine about a year ago. If I needed another, I would buy the one from Hugh for $800. I've done business with Hugh--he is a straight shooter.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 MG MGB V8 Conversion

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links