Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
I recently purchased several mechanical Jaeger accessory Oil Temp gauges. They did not come with the necessary adapters to fit the drain plug hole. I’m now in need of the adapter fitting X2. My internet searches have had no joy. Does anyone know a source for these fittings?

Bill Chasser
TD/c-8151

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tlempicke Silver Member Thomas Lempicke
Greenwood, SC, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "OLD Green Car"
1978 MG MGB "Green Car"
Usually these don't go into the oil pan. There should be a port on the block.
In any case try Nissonger Instrument. They are one of the few places that can repair the tube when it goes bad. They will also be able to direct you to the fittings you need.

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Thanks for your suggestion. As installed on XPAGs they were installed at the oil drain hole. Or a separate hole was made at a thinner spot on the pan. I don’t want to modify my pan so I am looking specifically for the drain plug hole adapter.

Bill Chasser
TD/c-8151

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB777 Avatar
MGB777 Tim Smith
Oregon, IL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "The "Abbey"
1960 Triumph TR3A "Patch's"
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Little Bro"
1977 MG MGB "Big Brother"    & more
Bill ,,,,,,,,, this is what was in my oil pan ,,,,,,,,,, if this is what your looking for you can have it ,,,,,, just PM me with your mailing address and I''' send it out

Attachments:
sumpplug.JPG    46 KB
sumpplug.JPG

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
I had received a gauge from Ed McCord that had an adaptor with it. I just compared it to a oilpan and the thread is correct. The suggestion was made that the radiator adapters might work. I then went out to my stack of radiators and the adapters to the top tank are smaller male thread so the radiator adaptors won’t work. Pictured is what I’m looking for though I cannot identify the oilpan size and thread count.

Tim. Hold onto that thought for a bit. I may take you up on your offer if I don’t find the proper fitting.

Bill Chasser
TD/c-8151

The adapter is 1/2”-14 BSP to the oil pan side and what ever the bourden tube fitting is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 10:45 PM by TD4834.

Attachments:
E9FB9D66-1BF5-4260-81E2-4331D7656DE2.jpeg    33 KB
E9FB9D66-1BF5-4260-81E2-4331D7656DE2.jpeg

MGB777 Avatar
MGB777 Tim Smith
Oregon, IL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "The "Abbey"
I'll measure mine and report back ........ I removed it from my 52' oil pan and bought a regular new drain plug

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Thanks Tim.

The adapter I need is a double male. According to Chris Couper’s site the pan plug is 1/2”-14 BSP. It’s the straight thread size I need that holds the bourden tube in place. No info provided in the fastener section, sub section (radiator).

Also, checked Moss catalog hoping the thread was identified for their adapters for the water temp sensor but there was no thread size indicated for either male-male or male - female adapters.

Will look at AS catalog next and see if they identify the thread sIzes

Bill Chasser
TD/c-8151

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
In UK parlance it looks like a Male to Male BSP reducing nipple (1/2" x 1/4" )- easy to find over here.
Dave H

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-14 03:23 AM by Buckdendave.

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Yes Dave but I need to know what the thread is for the bourden tube end of the adapter. It is a straight thread. I’ve got the 1/2”-14BSP side figured out. There are various thread sizes available for the opposite end.

I have found 1/2”-14 BSP brass adapters on US eBay but none in steel. The example I have shown in the pic is steel and steel is what I’d prefer to have. Once I can determine the opposite end’s thread size I can narrow the search further

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Easy enough, just measure it and count the tpi. 1/4" BSPP is 19tpi and 0.5180" major diameter / 0.4506" minor diameter
Dave H

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-14 09:12 AM by Buckdendave.

MGB777 Avatar
MGB777 Tim Smith
Oregon, IL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "The "Abbey"
Bill ,,,,,,,, I've looked all over in my small stash of TD parts and I can't find that drain plug adapter ,,, I have to apologize for thinking out loud without checking first. I may have pitched it when it got replaced.

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Thanks Tim.

Dave, explain to me BSPP vs BSPT.

Bill Chasser
TD/c-8151

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
BSPP - British Standard Pipe Parallel
BSPT - British Standard Pipe Taper
Cheers

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Thank you Dave! I learn something new everyday.

I’m not having any joy locating a
1/2”-14BSPP x 3/8”BSPP (?) double male. The one adapter I have is 1/2”-14 BSPT. Although it’ll work I am hesitant on using it on my pan should I decide later to go back to a standard oil drain plug

I’ve checked eBay USA and U.K. is Jaeger still in business? I’m wondering if I can contact them directly for assistance ?

Bill Chasser
TD/c-8151

Declan Burns Avatar
Duesseldorf, NRW, Germany   DEU
Bill,
To add to the confusion. I translated this from a German Standard website.

At the beginning of the 20th century pipes were sized according to the inner diameter. A 1” pipe had an internal diameter of 1” (25.4mm). Due to the quality of the steel used at the time, this resulted in a pipe outer diameter of ~33mm. The tooling was set up for this diameter. As the quality of steel improved, the wall thickness of the piping could be reduced. The tooling and the fittings were already existing but designed according to the external diameter. The inner diameter of the piping was therefore increased. Modern fittings are defined by the standard DIN EN ISO 228-1 which is metric! For this reason, a pipe with an outer diameter of 33mm is defined as a 1” pipe. The internal pipe diameter is no longer defined by this standard. BSP is now metric. That is why the fittings when measured do to tally.

Regards
Declan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster