MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

How much did you pay for chrome plating?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tim66 Avatar
Tim66 Silver Member Tim Burchfield
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Rich, did you have the work done in Ohio or CA?

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ping45 Silver Member Rich G
Highland, CA, USA   USA
Tim, Surprisingly,I had all of above chrome work done out here in Ca. I received a quote of $1200 for the 12 grill slates, which I surely could not afford, even if I wanted. I ask about a chrome supplier from a golf buddy who lived here his whole life and he gave me this guys name. When he quoted $280.00 for the slats I could not get them to him fast enough. Delivery was was only a couple weeks. As he finished each item, I took the next item to him. He also quoted me something like $50 to 60.00 on overriders, and if I remember correctly, $200.00 per bumper.( I could not remember the overall condition of my bumpers, they're back in Ohio, so I had asked him what his charge would be.) Meanwhile, I spotted a company here in L.A. that had an old stash of bumpers that had been stored in their warehouse for over 25 or 30 years. I spoke with the owner and he had a very,very low price of less than $100.00 each, so I bought a front and back. He had them Ebay listed, but I don't know if he has disposed of all of them.
Side Note: I asked him if he would ship to Ohio and he said yes, obviously he will ship else ware.

Tim66 Avatar
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Rich, would you care to share the guys name and contact information?

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Highland, CA, USA   USA
Tim, I'm gone till later today and I don't have that address nor ph.# with me. When I return I will contact him and make certain he would handle more work. As far as I can see, he's a one man operation and I have no idea how busy he wants to be although I'm guessing he would do so.
Talk to you later.
Rich

Tim66 Avatar
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Thanks Rich.

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

wom Bill M
Vestavia, AL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
The guy that did my chrome work said the plating is the easy part. The real work is the prep-that is straightening, removing dents, welding, brazing, grinding, polishing etc, etc.
I had made the decision to use as many original parts as possible and for the most part that worked out well. I paid more for restoring the original bumpers than repos. The same with hubcaps. Everything else turned out to be reasonable. There was just a lot of it. Here are some examples:
Grill shell $750 straightening, removing dents, re-soldering studs for slats
False nose $30
F&R bumpers $700 total
Windshield frame - 4 pieces- $260
WS side supports (w/ studs) $60
WS cowl brackets $150
Front parking lamp shells $60
Radiator cap $25
Plus lots more.
Here is a before and after:

Attachments:
IMG_6136m.jpg    24.3 KB
IMG_6136m.jpg

IMG_9276m.jpg    74.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Highland, CA, USA   USA
Tim...PM comming

MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Bill,
Have you added the seal against the lens?
And if so, do you know its dimensions?
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche

In reply to # 3715547 by wom The guy that did my chrome work said the plating is the easy part. The real work is the prep-that is straightening, removing dents, welding, brazing, grinding, polishing etc, etc.
I had made the decision to use as many original parts as possible and for the most part that worked out well. I paid more for restoring the original bumpers than repos. The same with hubcaps. Everything else turned out to be reasonable. There was just a lot of it. Here are some examples:
Grill shell $750 straightening, removing dents, re-soldering studs for slats
False nose $30
F&R bumpers $700 total
Windshield frame - 4 pieces- $260
WS side supports (w/ studs) $60
WS cowl brackets $150
Front parking lamp shells $60
Radiator cap $25
Plus lots more.
Here is a before and after:

39speedtwin Avatar
39speedtwin Dudley Woods
Billericay, Essex, UK   GBR
Even here in the U.K. it is hard to find platers who will re-chrome used parts. I have used RCJ in Hoddeston for a number of years, mainly for motorcycle parts, I will be taking some TF parts this coming Winter.
If you watch Wheeler Dealers you may have seen Mike Brewer taking bumpers etc for plating, also being shown the process, the man showing him is John Mayhew the owner, who has several MG’s and Motorcycles.
Google RCJ and details come up, whether he will receive from overseas I don’t know.

wom Bill M
Vestavia, AL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
The seals for the lenses are available from Moss. The set (281-088) is only $1.99 and includes the two seals. I do not know the dimensions.

MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Thank you Bill

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster