TD air cleaner

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ssu954 Brian Belton
Macclesfield, cheshire, UK   GBR
My 1950 TD wil not pull properly with the mesh air cleaner fitted [black smoke] just will not rev, its OK without cleaner, anybody got any ideas why.
Cheers Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
Quite often the air filter housing has been over tightened and the bottom tabs have been crushed and almost no air is allowed to pass through. I'd check that first. I have also seen cases where to much oil was placed in the base and again almost no air was passing though the filter.

ssu954 Brian Belton
Macclesfield, cheshire, UK   GBR
I am sure that the cleaners tabs are standing high enough to give clearance for air. I will check the oil level.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AZTD Avatar
AZTD Silver Member Mike Grogan
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
He is talking about the "Mickey Mouse" wing nut being tightened too much. Crushing the crown at the top of the cleaner. This will lessen the volume of air getting to the carbs at higher RPMs.

Some have said I have ruined my cleaner, but have cut out the wire mesh and replaced it with a K&N filter. Unless you remove the top, you would never know. AND I do not worry about how much oil in in there anymore.

1953 MG TD TD23816

Attachments:
AirFilter.JPG    15.8 KB
AirFilter.JPG

airfilter1.JPG    11.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MrBill.jpg    17.4 KB
AZTD Avatar
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
If it runs without then LaVeren is right. Its getting oil thru the carbs with a very rich load. This is the black smoke.

1953 MG TD TD23816

Tim66 Avatar
Tim66 Silver Member Tim Burchfield
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
In reply to # 3716029 by AZTD ...Some have said I have ruined my cleaner, but have cut out the wire mesh and replaced it with a K&N filter. Unless you remove the top, you would never know. AND I do not worry about how much oil in in there anymore.

Mike, I'm getting ready to modify my air filter for the K&N filter element. I'm a little nervous since a new filter from Moss costs $445. How much of the top did you cut off (or how much did you leave)?

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
I look at a situation like this, if it ran for 60 plus years from the factory with no problems and now problems are occurring, find out what's wrong now before modifying anything and correct it.. Once it's chopped up, there's no turning back and originality is gone. JMHO. PJ

AZTD Avatar
Glendale, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
Where I marked it - if over time you turn the "Mickey Mouse" nut, it will push down. Now look at the other side - How much space is left for air to get to the carbs.

If you change out to a modern filter, you lessen the chance to suck up oil and will have a cleaner burn for more power.

Over time improvements to anything is bound to be a better choice.
the way I added the K&N filter, you can not tell I made the change, so who is to say its not better.

Saw an article by Steve Maas. These are his pictures. I did not take any pics ( just got into it and forgot ).

1953 MG TD TD23816

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 08:04 AM by AZTD.

Attachments:
SmashedTOP.jpg    16.2 KB
SmashedTOP.jpg

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
In reply to # 3717724 by Tim66
In reply to # 3716029 by AZTD ...Some have said I have ruined my cleaner, but have cut out the wire mesh and replaced it with a K&N filter. Unless you remove the top, you would never know. AND I do not worry about how much oil in in there anymore.

Mike, I'm getting ready to modify my air filter for the K&N filter element. I'm a little nervous since a new filter from Moss costs $445. How much of the top did you cut off (or how much did you leave)?

Tim

Although you are not likely to find one, a good candidate for the K & N conversion would be to use the housing from an early car as I have here. It would not require any cutting for the filter

Attachments:
IMG_4617 (2).JPG    66 KB
IMG_4617 (2).JPG

IMG_4611 (2).JPG    56 KB
ermits Ermit Starnes
REDMOND, WA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGC
I agree with Mike, you have a restricted air flow problem. With the filter in hand and assembled turned upside down, check the air gap between the cover and center tube of the lower housing. The gap should be at least 3/16" or more. Over tightening the wing nut can distort the crown and cut off the air supply. The fix is malle-tize it. Support the outer ring of the cover and raise the crown by smacking the inside center of the crown with a mallet. Been there done that, many many, years ago. I have owned MGs going on 45 years and know them well.

Tim66 Avatar
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
LaVerne, does the wire mesh come out of the filter housing? I don't see how the K&N filter would fit in otherwise. The one I'm going to use is 2.5 inches tall.

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

TX, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1958 MG MGA 1500
Is originality compromised if I switch to pancakes? Is air intake better or worse? Risk?

Tim66 Avatar
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Davis, I think the fact that main stream automobile manufactures today don't use oil bath filters would indicate the technology is outdated. As far as originality is concerned, pancake filters were not installed at the factory. So yes, you would lose points for originality. I guess it depends what you want to do with your car. If you attend a GOF you'll see cars with the original filter and pancakes. If you want to show your car go with the original filter. But you can have the best of both worlds with this modification http://www.nonlintec.com/mgtd/external/#airfilter

Regards

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
In reply to # 3717932 by Tim66 LaVerne, does the wire mesh come out of the filter housing? I don't see how the K&N filter would fit in otherwise. The one I'm going to use is 2.5 inches tall.

Tim

You would just leave the mesh assembly out. The later filters had the lid crimped onto the mesh assembly....something I would guess you have?..... where as this one is three seperate pieces...so you would just use the lid and the outer housing.

Tim66 Avatar
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Thanks LaVerne. That would be ideal. I imagine that the earlier filter housing is hard to come by. the modification I'm looking at requires that you cut off all but about 3/4' of the top (newer style filter) and remove the mesh and the segmented piece in the top. The advantage of the method is that the sidies of the top extend far enough down that you can't see the dry filter.

Regards

Tim

1951 MG TD TD26711
1953 MG TD TD12524
1980 Corvette

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 MG MGB MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links