Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGeez Avatar
MGeez Frank Bice
Yukon, OK, USA   USA
I've seen this topic addressed before, with different solutions offered. I don't recall having seen this one. These slide latches are less than $5 each at Home Depot. Mine are solid brass, in Satin Nickel Finish (Chrome finish may be available, I didn't research that). They install in less than ten minutes per door, requiring the drilling of two holes in the chrome plated brass latch cover. I used the screws that came in the package. I plan to install a brass buffer plate where the closed latch interfaces with the upholstery trim around the inside of the door opening. Other than that, these are readily available, very inexpensive, and drop-dead simple to install. I'm not familiar with all T-Series doors, but they should apply to most T-series cars.

Cheers,
Frank
TF 1891.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_4532.jpg    44.8 KB
IMG_4532.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg    47.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_4535.jpg    46.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Thank you Franck,
I did not know this lock.
It is discreet and does not force to pierce the door trim.
I'll have to look for it here in Europe.
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche

markl Mark L
Buffalo Creek, CO, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
You might want to be careful when closing your door. The slide could extend and hit your paintwork.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGeez Avatar
MGeez Frank Bice
Yukon, OK, USA   USA
The slide does not move freely. While I appreciate the comment, I don’t see that as an issue.
Frank

MGeez Avatar
MGeez Frank Bice
Yukon, OK, USA   USA
Thierry
If you cannot find them, I can probably ship a pair to you. You’d have to pay my cost plus shipping.
Frank

MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Frank, thank you for your proposal.
For now, it's not in my preoccupations.
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche

Charles94 Avatar
Charles94 Chip L
Matthews, NC, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Little T"
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Little Red"
Frank, thanks for the timely post. Took my TF on 200 mile trip last week and driver door flew open twice. Going to check these out

MGeez Avatar
MGeez Frank Bice
Yukon, OK, USA   USA
Wow.....no damage, I hope!

I’ve had my MGA driver door pop open, no problem there. Adjusted the latch, all is well.

I’ve had the Cherokee door pop open in flight......gotta reduce airspeed, crab so the starboard side is in vacuum to be able to push the door open far enough to get the latch fully engaged.....whew! Never had my TF door pop, but have read about others .....thus my action.
Frank

Charles94 Avatar
Charles94 Chip L
Matthews, NC, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Little T"
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Little Red"
FYI. in Nickel. Great simple solution. Thanks!

Attachments:
5A54804C-525E-4BAF-8CAE-680A7FB5637C.jpeg    14.6 KB
5A54804C-525E-4BAF-8CAE-680A7FB5637C.jpeg

Horst LEV Avatar
Horst LEV Horst Wendling
Leverkusen, NRW, Germany   DEU
An other simple solution.
Cheap, no metall, easy to handle and works fine. Selfmade within a strap of seat belt material, outside leather in the car colour.
Horst

Attachments:
IMG_20170910_123544.jpg    31.7 KB
IMG_20170910_123544.jpg

TX, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1958 MG MGA 1500
As usual I am a day late and a dollar short. I bought the $55. door latches From The Frame Up. It doesn't work because my TD doors while they close securely do not fit perfectly with the frame and the mismatch is too much for this device to latch Talked to the maker/seller and he said fix the doors. I said that would cost more than your device. He said tough. I said good bye.

Attachments:
IMG_2549.JPG    48 KB
IMG_2549.JPG

WMSDP Silver Member Steven Papamarcos
Williamsburg, VA, USA   USA
Great idea! Thanks.

TX, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1958 MG MGA 1500
It wouldn't be beautiful, but a simple hook and eye should hold the door. Also easy to install. Hook should probably be forward and eye screwed into the door.

Robert H Gold Member Robert Harvey
Wichita, KS, USA   USA
1951 MG TD "Millicent Grace (Millie)"
I have latches similar to the ones shown in this thread, except in black. I mounted them below the latches on the door. I think it took a thin shim to get it to the right height off the surface of the door. My interior is black, so they kind of disappear. The only drawback of this arrangement is that you have to be careful that they don't get extended while the door is open and then the door closed--paint damage. But not as much as if the door flew open at 50 mph. My door latches were not adjusted correctly when I got the car, and the doors were warped a bit. I installed some cables and turnbuckles under the door panel in place of the steel bar and straightened them up (takes very little tension in the cable to move it). I then spent quite a bit of time getting the latches mounted correctly so they would line up right. After doing this, I can't see why the door would ever come open while under way, but, I have read enough stories about it happening that I decided to go ahead and add the backup latches.

doxendine Donnie Oxendine
Huntingburg, IN, USA   USA
I too installed the turnbuckle adjuster on the doors and got them to fit pretty well. My latches have never operated correctly. Only latches on the safety catch. That's why I'm using a leather for my safety catch.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 MG MGA

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links