Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
I know there's a gasket between the pump and block.

What's the correct method for sealing the cap as it's joined to the body? There can't be a gasket, it'll open the clearance between the gears and cap.

If it's just a sealant, what holds up to that much pressure?

Thanks.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
TC pump.jpg    72.6 KB
TC pump.jpg

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
No gasket, no sealer. It's a machined surface. If it leaks then you need to have it surface ground flat again. Do yourself a favor and have the pump rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing. It will come back leak-free and with correct clearances set. I recommend Butch Taras in California.

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Designed for no seal.... that said I put the lightest and I mean lightest coating of "The Right Stuff" on the surface of the cap. Ihave done it on more than one including a real Exxon Valdez pump that was here a couple of years ago.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
If there are scores in the plate you can surface it yourself with progressively finer oiled wet and dry paper and a flat plate. Any scores will affect pump pressure so it is best to get them worked out. Check that there isn’t any lateral play in the gears or chewed up teeth and scores in the main body. Check your clearances and put it back together. I’ve not had one leak yet. I also use the copper washers under the bolts with a dab of red RTV on the cover side of the washers and on the threads during assembly

Bill Chasser
TD-4834

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
MITCHELL: I modify ALL MGB oil pumps for greater oil flow, (NOT PRESSURE) like the Factory Competition Manual shows. I either brush on or spray on "Tool Makers Layout Dye:, you can get it where welding supplies are sold. It is a BLUE Liquid, dries very Quick and helps detect "Flatness" of parts. I like the Bruch on type Coat the part and lightly sand the mating surfaces. 800 - 1000 grit, wet or dry type sandpaper, with a few drops of water on a good flat surface. Old picture frame glass works fine. (Not the wedding picture) Sand in a figure (8) pattern. Two or three rotations will tell you if the part is flat or not. The bluing dye, cleans off with a squirt of carb cleaner, Acetone or Lac-thinner.

Member Services:

Attachments:
LA ARM PIT 002.jpg    44.7 KB
LA    ARM PIT 002.jpg

LA ARM PIT 003.jpg    49.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
Even the smallest amount of sealer will open up the clearances. Plus there's no guarantee that the plate will be sitting exactly flat on the pump body. Not that it's the end of the world, but the design calls for it being assembled dry. If sealer actually does anything, then the faces are not flat.

Mitchman2 Avatar
Thanks, I had a feeling that would be the answer. I'll pick up some dye and see how that transfers, the gaps should be evident.

This was an Ebay find, the engine came without one.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Mitchell: One or two strokes and your next words will be WOW. Have Fun

Member Services:
jgood67mgb Avatar
jgood67mgb Jim Goodwin
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
1948 MG TC "Cash Eater"
1952 MG TD "Pick Pocket"
1957 MG MGA 1500
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Old Reliable Healey Killer"    & more
Mitch, I rebuilt my TC engine this winter at a friend's machine shop. My machinist buddy strongly recommends using Grease for sealing most gaskets. He argues that ordinary disc brake Grease has a melting point of over 400 degrees, most of your motor doesn't get hot enough to melt the grease and oil can't get through the grease. He pointed out that all of his big machines in his shop with their many gaskets are all sealed with grease and they don't leak. Another huge benefit is being able to disassemble parts very easily. This came in very handy when I had to take the oil pan back off because I forgot to put the flywheel on first. I was very skeptical but I've got to say grease does work. Any excess grease squeezes out of the joint and doesn't become a problem in your oil system like dried up bits of silicone or other gasket glue might . To answer your specific question, the top of my oil pump is sealed to the pump with a smear of disc brake Grease, the bolts and the little copper washers all have Grease where they make contact, and no leaks. YMMV. Jim

ragtc Avatar
ragtc Bob Grunau
Mississauga, ON, Canada   CAN
Hey Mitch, Guess you know you bought an early TD oil pump, not a TC? Just different oil lines and an extra banjo bolt needed.
Gear end float is 0.0016" to 0.0035" . Aim for 0.002" , you don't want the gears to lengthen when hot and seize ( been there ) . Usually the driving gear from the cam is sucked into the pump body and will have greater end clearance. Pump body may need to be surface ground to reduce the clearance.
Agree, no pump cover gasket, use grease or a very light spray sealant.
Bob Canada .

Mitchman2 Avatar
In reply to # 3737340 by ragtc Hey Mitch, Guess you know you bought an early TD oil pump, not a TC? Just different oil lines and an extra banjo bolt needed.
Gear end float is 0.0016" to 0.0035" . Aim for 0.002" , you don't want the gears to lengthen when hot and seize ( been there ) . Usually the driving gear from the cam is sucked into the pump body and will have greater end clearance. Pump body may need to be surface ground to reduce the clearance.
Agree, no pump cover gasket, use grease or a very light spray sealant.
Bob Canada .

Yea, early TD. #10907. Oval head coolant holes....

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster