Starter Motors

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

austin7 Roy D
Leeds, England, UK   GBR
Does anyone know whether there is available in the UK a" pre -engaged starter motor to fit a TC.Many thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
Not in the UK but this website might help with alternatives. They show a shared application with MGA and early MGB.

http://tsimportedautomotive.com/gearreductionstarters.html

Not sure what kind of clearance you have between the foot well and the starter, but, I successfully used a GR starter from a 88 Isuzu Trooper with a 2.6 engine on my Morris Minor. If you have the room it may be worth considering. It would have worked on my Magnette. For Midgets and early MGB there is foot well clearance issues. Otherwise it bolts right up.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 01:21 PM by geezer.

Paul Jolliffe Avatar
Craven Arms, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1947 MG TC "Biggles"
2015 Land Rover Defender 110 "Digby"
Have a look at Powerlite Starters in the UK - http://www.powerlite-units.com/products/rac302/

This is a geared starter, and uses a pre-engaged pinion. Lots of other advantages (high torque, lower power consumption, light weight) make it attractive to the racing community, but it might be what you need. However, they usually retail around £200 ....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
Hi Roy, curious why you need one. The TC starter is a very strong component and rarely goes bad. And they are easily rebuilt if you do manage to wear one out. We have probably 50 or so TCs in our club and I'm not aware of any with an aftermarket starter except possibly for one race car.

plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
TC starters are also damnably heavy, and the modern starters, usually based on Japanese designs and/or parts, weigh but a few pounds. TC starters are pretty long, and difficult to remove; my guess is that the newer starters are shorter, and would come out and go back in easier, as in without needing to remove the head pipe....

Does one need a solenoid for the newer starters, since the TC used a starter pull cable forcing two contacts together?

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
Tom,

With the modern starter you can retain the original starter pull feature. All that is required is a simple jumper between the bat terminal on the starter to the sol terminal

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

Attachments:
Jumper.JPG    31.8 KB
Jumper.JPG

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
The modern starters will turn a High compression engine much easier and spin the engine over faster as well. Lighter easier to R&R as the head pipe doesn’t require removal. Can be used with or without the starter pull.

I run one in TD-4834 and I am very pleased with its performance.

Bill Chasser

Steve S Avatar
Abingdon West, Southern California, USA   USA
The TC starter switch is a mechanical device mounted directly to the rear of the starter. It is not just a switch, it's also the second half of the starter contacts. Therefore you cannot use it with a modern starter. TD is very different.

The way to get around this issue in a TC is to use a TD / MGA switch hidden somewhere, attached to the pull cable. You can also use this method in combination with a TD starter, if smaller and lighter but still somewhat authentic is what you're after. But yes, the modern starters are lighter, smaller and more powerful than the TC starter. It's a very modern component so they do look quite out of place in the engine bay, if that matters to you. They also sound very different than original. I have to run a gear reduction starter on one of my cars because of the high compression and large engine. It works great but it sounds like a Chevy when it's cranking, and as it turns out that's what I hate most about the entire car!

While the TC starter is large and heavy, it's a durable and great-looking period piece that shows off the pre-war era of the early T-Types. After the TC, things got more modern but pretty much all pre-war cars (which technically includes the TC) had certain things about them that set them apart from their post-war counterparts that to me are iconic. Solid axles, tall narrow tires and large electrical devices definitely fit into that category. If you do decide to swap, you will be able to sell the original starter quite easily. I'd be in line to buy it myself. But my advice would be to keep it with the car for the next owner.

Drolli Carl Drolshagen
Soerup, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany   DEU

austin7 Roy D
Leeds, England, UK   GBR
MG TC
Thanks every one for your replies. The reason I was thinking of changing is that the TC starter is not operating correctly. It appears to be stuck in mesh with the flywheel..
My understanding is that a pre-engaged starter would not have this problem. Is there enough space to fit a pre-engaged starter?
Finally which way is the best to remove the starter. Would it be better taking it out from the top or bottom and what actually needs moving?
Thanks for your help so far with this TC
Roy

plus4moggie Tom Lange
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
Roy - any electric shop experienced with older cars can completely rebuild your TC starter, so that it functions perfectly. I have a great fondness for the original starters, as does Steve S. There is very little to go wrong; you probably have a sticky pinion on the\ starter, which a rebulder would easily fix; parts are readily available.

I had to remove the headpipe on the last TC that needed starter work. I ended up replacing the entire exhaust!

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

austin7 Roy D
Leeds, England, UK   GBR
Thanks for the reply Tom - I've just got the starter out this afternoon. Now I need to test it - any ideas?
Thanks Roy

ddubois Avatar
ddubois Gold Member Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   USA
Tom -
Quote: any electric shop experienced with older cars can completely rebuild your TC starter

The only problem with that, is trying to find any kind of
Quote: any electric shop experienced with older cars
. We used to have close to a dozen or more such shops in the Puget Sound area up until 12 - 15 years. Now I have not been able to find one anywhere.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster