AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGTF Body Number Plate
  This topic is about my 1955 MG TF 1500
55-60MG4KM Avatar
55-60MG4KM Silver Member Keith Meyer
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
I've been looking for a reproduction body number plate for my 1955 MGTF but I cannot find any in the configuration that is on my car. My plate is brass with a black border and letters. See enlcosed picture. All the reproduction plates are painted black with brass letters. Does anyone have a lead on the correct type for my TF? Failing that can anyone reccomend soneone who can restore my orginal identification plates? Thanks, Keith

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Aftermarket Body Number Plate.jpg    10.3 KB
Aftermarket Body Number Plate.jpg

Original Body Number Plate.jpg    41.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Frank C MGTF Avatar
Frank C MGTF Frank C
Chelmsford, MA, USA   USA
1953 MG TF "Ashleigh"
Why don't you keep the one you have now? Your original plate is fine. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Or restore it. Polish the brass and fill in the black lettering yourself.

Frank Cronin
TF 1414

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
+1
Keep the old one.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
Here's my original, cleaned up a bit but looks fine. Like the others said, if you have the original, keep it! PJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 08:51 AM by Paul J.

Attachments:
TF # plate.jpg    43.6 KB
TF # plate.jpg

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
My TF did not have one when I bought it. Infact no holes in the lid for it and I suspect the lid came from a TD. Anyway I bought a plate which looks just like the factory job and stamped a random body number on it and used pop rivots to put it on top of the lid....ya I know thats not right. I don't recall now if it came from Moss or not. It may well have come from a fellow off of ebay who was selling the correctly made guarantee plates and not the WTF warranty plates Moss was pushing. Three sources I'd check with in the States... Moss...which shows the incorrect plate you posted on their site. Abingdon Spares....I didn't see it on their site. From The Frame up. I call each and discuss what you are after. I see Brown and Gammons also shows the incorrect body plate and the wacko warranty plate.

Moss UK shows the correct plate in a drawing....whether that is actually what they have I can't say but you might send them a note and see.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/mg/t-type/body-chassis/body-fittings-brightwork/exterior-body-fittings-chrome-trim-tf.html

55-60MG4KM Avatar
55-60MG4KM Silver Member Keith Meyer
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
Its looking like I will be restoring my Body ID Plate. The Moss UK catalogue shows the correct plate in the catalogue picture but when you click on the site link for the part the picture that comes up is the same incorrect (for me) plate as the US. In fact if found out that they get there plate from the US - thats why they carry the same part number and not a UK style part number. So, if your shopping the UK site the parts are the same as the US site if the numbers are XXX-XXX digits. I learned something there! I have another lead at the MG Owners Club to check out but i'm not a member so i'm struggling a bit trying to hook up with someone. All the US suppliers mentioned and that I am of aware carry the black background plate. Still looking but....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster