Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
I often see posts where folks are not able to work on their cars due to cold weather. There is a fix.

In 2005 my wife and I demolished a 1924 3 car "auto barn" (as the original building permit called it) and replaced it with a carriage house over a 3 car garage with additional storage space. The "auto barn" had suffered the ravages of time and a dead tree falling on it ended it's life.

I had always intended that it be heated and probably should have gone with radiant heat in the floor but the floor was poured very early in the process and I had left it too late. The walls are 2x6 and insulated and drywalled, doors are insulated so heating was an option.

I did some research and discovered the use of infrared heat, Roberts Gordon was a UK company building these products and I discovered that they have opened in the USA and had chosen Buffalo, NY as their base so I paid them a visit. To cut a long story short I went with their product, mounted on the ceiling between 2 car spaces. It is controlled by a thermostat located some 15-18 feet away from the heater and normally maintains a te,temperature of 50-55 deg F. When I intend to work in the garage I bump it up a little to the very low 60s.

Since it heats the objects and those objects then radiate that heat to the air, the air temperature is lower than that of the object. Side effect, no condensation on the object (cars) so no rust. Also opening the door to take a car out does not allow a large amount of air to escape, usually the door has to be open 5 minutes before the heater starts. When we go out there in the morning the cars are dry, all the snow/ice have melted and gone down the floor drains.

The air intake/exhaust is by concentric pipe, center pipe is the exhaust cooled by the incoming air surrounding it.

You can see more here, http://www.robertsgordon.com/infrared-heating, I have no interest in the company. In 2005 I only paid around $1700 for the unit, it runs on natural gas.

Unit is visible in upper left of the photo.

A balmy 26 deg F out there, off to the garage I go.

Peter

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2889.JPG    57.1 KB
IMG_2889.JPG

shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, AL, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior" ~ For Sale ! ~
1954 MG TF
A friend of my dad's, a brilliant engineer who turned an obsolete tire tube company into a hugely profitable floor tile company (NAFCO), equipped all of his new factories with natural gas ceiling radiant heaters and they worked perfectly and kept the factories toasty warm.

peter14222 Avatar
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3695186 by shoalsgary A friend of my dad's, a brilliant engineer who turned an obsolete tire tube company into a hugely profitable floor tile company (NAFCO), equipped all of his new factories with natural gas ceiling radiant heaters and they worked perfectly and kept the factories toasty warm.

I went to a collision shop and they had a large installation of them, they were opening and closing doors a lot without losing all the heat.

Peter

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
The infra red lamps in the paint shop facilitate paint curing though I imagine they were electric and not gas fired due to the risk of explosion from VOCs. I have portable electric Infrareds on pedestals for the same purpose use for paint curing in temps below 80°

Bill Chasser
TD/c-8151

Savannah dog Gold Member Julian Carter
Lincolnton, GA, USA   USA
I've got my Garage buried. It's got a 9 foot ceiling and it buried 8 foot deep. Ground Temp is at 67 degrees. I do loose a lot of heat thru the door. Yet it's nice during the Summer.

peter14222 Avatar
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3695242 by TD4834 The infra red lamps in the paint shop facilitate paint curing though I imagine they were electric and not gas fired due to the risk of explosion from VOCs. I have portable electric Infrareds on pedestals for the same purpose use for paint curing in temps below 80°

Bill Chasser
TD/c-8151

In my case the source of air is from outside and the exhaust goes outside. Concentric pipe.

In the collision shop painting was done in a booth with electric heating, the main workshop was heated by gas fired units with independent concentric exhaust/inlet pipes.

The only noise from mine is the fan.

Peter

Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
I have a very cheap and reasonably reliable source of infra red heating for my shed but I haven’t been able to access its thermostat to excercise any degree of control over its heat output as it is located some 93 million miles away. I just have to rely on a natural cyclical effect, a layer of reflective ceiling insulation and the cooling effect of a cross breeze when the door and window are open. If it gets below 10oC I put on a pullover. Above 15oC and I am in shorts till around 30oC when the T shirt comes off.
Chris

peter14222 Avatar
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3695469 by Ctwidle I have a very cheap and reasonably reliable source of infra red heating for my shed but I haven’t been able to access its thermostat to excercise any degree of control over its heat output as it is located some 93 million miles away. I just have to rely on a natural cyclical effect, a layer of reflective ceiling insulation and the cooling effect of a cross breeze when the door and window are open. If it gets below 10oC I put on a pullover. Above 15oC and I am in shorts till around 30oC when the T shirt comes off.
Chris

Unfortunately being further away from the sun, we need assistance, but then we need less air conditioning also.

And shipping on parts is cheaper too.
Y

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Well. Here in central CA, temperatures vary but not by extreme,s My shop is not insulated, and when it is in the 30,s I can turn on my Electric GreenHouse 220Vheater and in 1/2 hour it will be 60 degree,s out there. The element never gets RED, IT IS JUST fan driven warm air. Thermostatically controlled. I compared it to my clothes dryer and it uses about 2/3 less electricity.Works for me. It the red box on the stand / left hand corner.

Member Services:

Attachments:
266B6756-3711-441E-A595-6ACE21606F97.jpeg    44 KB
266B6756-3711-441E-A595-6ACE21606F97.jpeg

Robert H Gold Member Robert Harvey
Wichita, KS, USA   USA
1951 MG TD "Millicent Grace (Millie)"
I use a couple of inexpensive electric heaters that do the job well most of the time. If it gets really cold, I have a "jet engine" style kerosene heater that will warm the place up in no time, and then the electrics can maintain.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster