AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MG "T" Horn Restoration
  This topic is about my 1955 MG TF 1500
55-60MG4KM Avatar
55-60MG4KM Silver Member Keith Meyer
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
I'm disassembling, cleaning and restoring my previously fully operational MGTF horns. A few questions for the group.

1. One of my horn caps has been crushed. Although I pushed the dent out does anyone know of a source for a good replacement? I bought one from a used parts supplier that was a rusted out (holes) piece of junk, I sent it back.
2. Although i'm being careful trying to remove the gaskets from the horn body it appears they are glued in place. I may damage one. Does anyone know where I can buy replacements?
3. Based on the residue surrounds the pin that oscillates in the horn coil it appears that it was lubricated. Does anyone know if it was and if so what lubricant was used?

Any other suggestions on the resto?

Thanks, Keith

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Cap.JPG    47.9 KB
Cap.JPG

Gasket.JPG    56 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Pin 1.JPG    29.3 KB
Pin 2.JPG    30 KB
reinstein Avatar
reinstein RT G
Staples, ON, Canada   CAN
2009 Porsche Cayman S "Color Me Gone"
I recently replaced the Lucas Windtone horns on my 54TF with a better used set.
Adjusted them and now they sound great.
Somewhere along the line, the ones on the car were installed upside down.confused smiley
I can sell you these for parts if you might be interested
$50 plus shipping

Attachments:
Lucas windtone horns 003.jpg    46.8 KB
Lucas windtone horns 003.jpg

Lucas windtone horns 002.jpg    41.4 KB
MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
I cleaned them completely, and despite different settings, I can not make them work properly.
I bought some new ones from Moss.
Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_7908.JPG    56 KB
IMG_7908.JPG

Klaxons horns1-2.pdf    854 KB
MGB777 Avatar
MGB777 Tim Smith
Oregon, IL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "The "Abbey"
1960 Triumph TR3A "Patch's"
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Little Bro"
1977 MG MGB "Big Brother"    & more
The new ones from Moss are a different shape and size from the originals ..... I had planned on swapping the new inside parts into my old horn but nothing would fit... the re-pops are smaller and the horn part is a different shape.

39speedtwin Avatar
39speedtwin Dudley Woods
Billericay, Essex, UK   GBR
Bought my pair from UK eBay last year for £90 buy it now, good condition and perfect working order.

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
If the horns were on the car upside down for any length of time, the domes will fill up with water and ruin the works inside. I threw 2 horns in the trash because they had internal water damage. I bought a good set of originals, refurbished and tuned them. thumbs up PJ

55-60MG4KM Avatar
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
Did a bit of research this AM and found this excellent article posted on the MG-Net about maintenance and adjustment of the horns. This article will answer just about any question you have about the horns. I'm passing it on but you'll have to copy and paste the address as I couldnt link it here. Also, can anyone tell me if my horns were mounted correctly? Enclosed are a couple of pictures of them before disassembly of the car for restoration. Enjoy and Thanks, Keith

http://www.vintagemg.com/ArticlePDFs/THorns1-2.pdf

Attachments:
59000004.JPG    30.3 KB
59000004.JPG

59000026.JPG    36.4 KB
Keith, these are the items I put in # 3

55-60MG4KM Avatar
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
I picked up my horns parts from the powder coater yesterday. I wanted to warn everybody - DO NOT HAVE YOUR HORN BODIES POWDER COATED! Although the guy who does my powder coating warned me it might happen I said go ahead and give it a try. I should have listened to him and painted them instead. Apparently the aluminum horn bodies "off gas" when they undergo the powder coat baking process creating the effect you see in the enclosed photo. This doesnt always happen, they do powder coat a lot of aluminum, but it did happen to my horn bodies. I asked if he could sand blast the powder coating off and was told there might not be any horn body left afterwards. Now i'm looking for some new used horn bodies as I do want the original horns on the car. Keith

Attachments:
Powder Coated Horn Body.jpg    57 KB
Powder Coated Horn Body.jpg

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
I’m uncertain as to why you don’t want to use them, assuming they are for a TF and out of sight under the front valance. Unless you are creating a concours vehicle, of course.
Dave H

55-60MG4KM Avatar
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
Dave: Yes, I agree however, the inside surface where the "metal diaphram" and gasket rest is just as "crinkled" making seating of the diaphram impossible. Keith

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Try soda blasting. Unsure if it will work on powdercoating, but worth a try. Other abrasives, like walnut husk might be worth trying.

Bruce E. Cunha

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Try aircraft paint stripper

How did you do to fix them. Even after a good cleaning, and following
Klaxons horns1-2 # 3 recommendations I did not get to do them more than moan ...
I came to buy the one from Moss. Pity.

Attachments:
IMG_8229.JPG    45.2 KB
IMG_8229.JPG

55-60MG4KM Avatar
Corvallis, OR, USA   USA
After two coats of "Aircraft Quality" Rustoleum paint stripper, a lot of time with hand held wire brushes,more time geeting into the small spots with dremel tool wire brushes and finally a good dosing of carb cleaner I have successfully cleaned the powder coating off the origninal horn bodies. Thanks to Bill Chaser for the paint stripper idea and others for there input. Now for some paint. Keith

Attachments:
Clean.jpg    51.9 KB
Clean.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 MG MGA Twin Cam

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links