TD fuel tank end cover leak.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Namsutol Kearney Kevin
Cabin John, MD, USA   USA
Presently converting from fuel cell to standard fuel tank. The bolts that hold the tanks end plate covers , one of them goes through to the inside of the tank.

What fuel proof sealant can I use on the threads?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Namsutol Kearney Kevin
Cabin John, MD, USA   USA
I will be using locktite 515

Hawkmonster Avatar
Hawkmonster Joe Policastro
Flagstaff, AZ, USA   USA
To the best of my knowledge those screws do not go into the tank. The tank has a captive nut. I have mine on for years with no leaks and the there is no loosing of the bolt due to vibration. Make sure you have the proper length bolt.

See picture to make sure we are discussing the same bolts.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-14 11:07 AM by Hawkmonster.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    35.6 KB
image.jpeg

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
They side plate bolts should not go through the tank bulkhead

buscar Avatar
buscar Silver Member Carlo Busato
Canberra, ACT, Australia   AUS
1953 MG TD
Are those dome nuts 1/4 inch BSF ??

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Also note:

I found that the side plate bolts supplied by Moss and possibly others are a bit too long. You’ll need a lock washer and a flat washer to space the bolt to prevent it from bottoming out on the bulkhead. Or you can thread a nut on, cut off the remaining threads, back the nut off to clear the threads and use a file to dress up the leading thread on the bolt .

Using a flat washer will also assist in saving the paint on the side panel from flaking off

Yes 1/4 BSF

Bill Chasser
TD-4834

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-03 01:08 PM by TD4834.

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
In reply to # 3687984 by TD4834 Also note:

I found that the side plate bolts supplied by Moss and possibly others are a bit too long. You’ll need a lock washer and a flat washer to space the bolt to prevent it from bottoming out on the bulkhead. Or you can thread a nut on and cut off the remaining threads and back the nut off to clear the threads and use a file to dress up the leading thread on the bolt .

Using a flat washer will also assist in saving the paint on the side panel from flaking off

Yes 1/4 BSF

Bill Chasser
TD-4834

I agree with Bill, I use neoprene/plastic washers on those bolts, actually I use them where most bolts/screws touch the paint.

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
PJ. Thank you for further clarifying my post. Yes I use similar washers as well

Bill Chasser
TD-4834

Hawkmonster Avatar
Hawkmonster Joe Policastro
Flagstaff, AZ, USA   USA
If you look at the Moss catalogue they spec the washers. So if the bolts are long it is because you did not use the washers.

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
Not sure how to stop the leak in a simple manor, other than, using a sealant on the threads as we do on the fuel sending unit screws might possibly work. Worth a try. PJ

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster