AutoShrine Sponsor

Giant doorbell
  This topic is about my 1952 MG TD
pickupen Avatar
pickupen Thomas Bengtsson
Kalmar, Kalmar, Sweden   SWE
1952 MG TD
1964 Austin Mini
Anyone knows what this is. Found under the floorboard and there is nothing connected to it in any way. If I tap it with a skrewdriver it sounds like big firebell. Never seen anything like this on a car. Thomas

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2726 (2).JPG    20.3 KB
IMG_2726 (2).JPG

IMG_2727.JPG    24.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
No idea....take the dome off....maybe it's full of money grinning smiley

pickupen Avatar
1952 MG TD
1964 Austin Mini
Haha yeah maybe a good idea.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
I remember those, they weren't around for a long time. They were in the era of wolf whistles, Ooga horns etc, back in the 50s. There should be a rod coming up through the floor board with a mushroom top on it to step on, they were quite loud. grinning smiley

pickupen Avatar
1952 MG TD
1964 Austin Mini
Paul, you mean that this was some kind of option for the car? Wow that´s big. The thing is that I can not find anything on the top of the flooboard to manuever this. Do you know what it was used for since there at two horns in the front of the car.

Thomas

Paul J Avatar
In reply to # 3679952 by pickupen Paul, you mean that this was some kind of option for the car? Wow that´s big. The thing is that I can not find anything on the top of the flooboard to manuever this. Do you know what it was used for since there at two horns in the front of the car.

Thomas

No not an option, it was an aftermarket gadget sold by some auto parts stores. If my memory is correct, Pep Boys was one store who sold them back then. PJ

Paul J Avatar
Here's a photo of one, Bermuda Carrage bell. PJ

Attachments:
Bermuda Carrage Bell.jpg    17.8 KB
Bermuda Carrage Bell.jpg

pickupen Avatar
1952 MG TD
1964 Austin Mini
Ah thanks Paul
Now I know a lot more. Got to look more to see if the pin is broken.

I have been trying to figer out what it was for days but if you ask you get an answer.smiling smiley
Thank you a lot.

Thomas
Sweden

Paul J Avatar
I'll say this, they were quite an attention getter! On a dirt road they weren't very loud, but on pavement the sound would reverberate off the hard surface and be very loud. The girls liked them! grinning smiley PJ

ozarkboy Avatar
ozarkboy Gold Member James Auer
Batavia, IL, USA   USA
1952 MG TD "Maggie"
1979 MG MGB "Ozarkboy"
Thomas, regarding that other horn button, the bell could have been "modernized" with the addition of a solenoid...any wires running to it?

James

Mitchman2 Avatar
Mitchman2 Mitchell Andrus
Mills River, NC, USA   USA
A buddy had one on his Model A Ford back in the 70's. For parades mostly.

Buy a man a plane ticket and he flies for a day,
push a man out of an airplane and he'll fly for the rest of his life.

'30 Model A Ford
'48 MGTC
'58 MGA
'58 MGA

pickupen Avatar
1952 MG TD
1964 Austin Mini
No nothing is connected. Just sits there

rich40701 Richard Taylor
Corbin, KY, USA   USA
Do you know where your came from originally. There use to be an artist, I believe his name was Ugene and one topic on his website was about his TD and it had a Bermuda bell. He bought the car new. It was a great website but gone now.

pickupen Avatar
1952 MG TD
1964 Austin Mini
I got the car from California a few weeks ago and it has probably been standing still since 1990. But it is in good condition.

Lotus Avatar
Lotus Roy Hodgson
Villeneuve, VD, Switzerland   CHE
1974 MG MGB "Butterscotch"
If you put a largish hole in it facing the rear of the car then the mice will have a nice nesting place out of harms way. tongue sticking out smiley

The truth is mightier than the tweet

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster