AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tim66 Avatar
Tim66 Silver Member Tim Burchfield
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
I have updated My T Numbers Database. This was originally Gordon Lawson's body numbers DB. I have added several categories and I'd appreciate any additional information that you could provide. Error correction would also be appreciated. I don't want to compete with Merson's list or any other list. This is just my attempt to bring together as much T Series information as possible that may be useful to current and especially future owners. All of the information on the list has come from the owners or publicly posted information. If you would like to provide information about your car or advise of errors please send them to me at Tohio@aol.com The list can be seen at the following Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3955ecsfcwd7zz7/T%20Numbers%20database.xls?dl=0

Tim
TD12524
TD26711

Edit: New link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 05:10 PM by Tim66.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Just a question - are you recording the driving side and colour as is or as was when new? A lot of cars, including mine, have gone from LHD to RHD and the paint and interior colours changed.
Dave H

Tim66 Avatar
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Dave any changes that I'm made aware of I put in the last column, "Modifications". If you look up your car in the DB you'll see that the LHD to RHD info is included in the modifications section.

Tim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Ok, thanks. I’ve gone from Black with red interior to Red with tan interior. TF2250.
Dave H

mk21965 Avatar
mk21965 Stuart Brainerd
Stony Creek, CT, USA   USA
TD29063, engine 29596 owned by my dad Peter Brainerd since about 1962. LHD black/green int. in Branford, CT USA

Tim66 Avatar
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
Thanks very much Stuart, information added.

Regards

Tim

Mr Toad Larry Carlson
Michigan City, IN, USA   USA
1950 MG TD "MR TOAD"
Dear Tim:
My car is listed as TD 0518.
Please note the following corrections. (1) the original engine died and has been replaced with XPAG engine #26,716.
(2) The color is British Racing Green. Your chart has a ? next to the letters BRG.
(3) I now live in Michigan City, Indiana.
The build date of the car was 20 January 1950.

By the way, I noticed so many early TDs (meaning, earlier than mine) are now in Australia. Any historical reason for this?

Safety Fast!
Larry

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
I am tempted to say that Australia was used for new product testing before they were sent to the largest market, but I don't really know. We were both car-hungry and British-loyal in those days.

Matthew.

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Wasn’t the original engine for TD 0518 found?

Tim66 Avatar
Toledo, OH, USA   USA
1951 MG TD
1953 MG TD
In reply to # 3660040 by Mr Toad Dear Tim:
My car is listed as TD 0518.
Please note the following corrections. (1) the original engine died and has been replaced with XPAG engine #26,716.
(2) The color is British Racing Green. Your chart has a ? next to the letters BRG.
(3) I now live in Michigan City, Indiana.
The build date of the car was 20 January 1950.

By the way, I noticed so many early TDs (meaning, earlier than mine) are now in Australia. Any historical reason for this?

Safety Fast!
Larry

Larry, thank you for the corrections. Changes made. I don't know why there so many TDs in Australia. But I'll bet someone at this Australian site can can tell you. http://www.mgtregister.com/

Regards

Tim
TD12524
TD26711

Mr Toad Larry Carlson
1950 MG TD "MR TOAD"
Dear Bill:
Yes, the original engine for TD 0518 was recently put up for sale.
Here is the story.
In 2014 the engine died. I really wanted to keep the car "original." The cost to re-build it by a reputable MG guy started at $6,000. When I added the shipping and other intangibles it was simply cost prohibitive. I then purchased a late TD engine that had recently been re-built to a high standard, i.e., it had all the upgrades I would have ordered. Dealing with that vendor was something of a nightmare but that is another story.
The original engine sat in my garage for a couple of years. I intended to tear it down and maybe have it rebuilt on the cheap just to have a spare engine. Of course, that never happened. Rather than try and sell it on E-Bay or Craigslist, and after contacting my T-Series friends, none of whom expressed any interest whatsoever, I simply put it on the curb next to the garbage can. It was gone in two days.
About eight months later I heard it was for sale. I called the Seller, who lived in Michigan. He explained to me that he bought it from guy in Indiana, presumably the same guy who retrieved from in front of my house. The Seller told me that it "turned by hand" and that he would advertise as such. I told him the engine was junk and if he sold it with any hint that it ran that the Buyer would return to his house with fire in his eyes, a gun in his hand, and murder on his mind. And that he would deserve any retribution the Buyer exacted from him. The Seller seemed un-moved. He told me he could $3,500 for a POS engine. I told him "good with that" because I had stripped it of everything I thought I could possibly use at the future or just to have a spare. It really was a POS by then. That was the last time I spoke with the Seller.
I do not know if he ever sold the engine.
Larry Carlson

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Thanks for the information Larry. I didn’t mean to hit a nerve. I did not no the gentleman that was seeking you out but the very low production number had caught my attention when inquiries had been made on a Facebook MG related site. I had made the comment that wouldn’t be nice if the engine could find its way back to its original car. I did some sleuthing and came up with the chassis number and he went from there. It was a honest effort on his part in wanting to see it returned to its rightful chassis. It’s a shame you didn’t keep it with the car before deciding to toss it to the curb, even if it went under the work bench. A Numbers matching car does add some value in my opinion. Even if the piece was junk it would have provenance to the car. At any rate you both ended up with what you wanted out of it, a well running TD for you and the engine sold to someone else for him. That’s what counts in the end. Sorry it wasn’t a more pleasant exchange between the two of you.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834

Mr Toad Larry Carlson
1950 MG TD "MR TOAD"
Dear Bill:
No apology necessary; you did not hit a nerve. In fact, I owe you a huge "thank you." It was quite generous of you to attempt to re-unite the engine with the original chassis and I (and MR TOAD) would have been the recipients of your largesse. It demonstrates once again that MG really is the marque of friendship.
I wanted to keep the engine for all reasons you point out but the lack of space in the Morris Garage dictated otherwise. Besides, I knew I would never get around to re-building it and therefore it would never go back into the car. Such is life. The kicker to the story is this. Two months after I put it on the curb a T-Series guy called and asked if I still had it. He wanted to put it in a Morris Minor and knew it did not run and knew I would give it away. This is why car guys never get rid of anything!
The guy from Michigan was nice enough to offer it to me and was relieved to learn I did not want it back. It was after I explained to him that it did not run that he took a cavalier attitude about advertising it that it "turned by hand."
It was at that point it was clear he had no intention of giving a potential buyer the truth about the engine. But, hey, there was nothing I could do about that. If he got $3,500 then someone got ripped off.
By the way, I see your comments quite a bit in this forum and have always found them helpful and informative. I have always thought you would be the kind of guy I would like to watch work on the TD so I could learn about the car and then have a cold beverage, or two, afterwards. The summer House beverage here is a frozen daiquiri. I live in Michigan City, Indiana. The welcome is always out and the bar never closes.
Safety fast!
Larry

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Larry Thank you for the kind comments. My door is always open here as well should you ever make it out to CA. Always to meet and put a face to a name. Be careful though I’d likely put you to work. Lol.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834

MGTF1500 Ardeche France Thierry SUCHIER
TOURNON SUR RHONE, Rhône-Alpes Auvergne, France   FRA
Tim,
Here are the coordinates of my TF
Chassis 9724 manufactured in November or December 1954
LHD
4 = North American market
B Birch gray originally Repainted in burgundy red metallic.
XPEG 3384 Originally Replaced by an XPAG / TD2 15124
Fully restored in California in 2015
I live in France in Ardèche (the most beautiful department of France ...)

Sincerely, Thierry de l'Ardèche

Attachments:
IMG_9316.JPG    64.7 KB
IMG_9316.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster