MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

What did you do with your T-Series today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Had a great Saturday drive with the SVMGCC in the Sierra gold country southeast of Placerville today. Georgeous weather and views. 1 TC, 3 TDs, 1 TF, 3 B roadsters and a GT in the mix. First time my TD has been out of the valley floor and I was a bit concerned how she would handle altitude. She ran quite well and her performance was good given her tuning. My only setback was I had to keep the revs up to work with the race roller cam I have. The poor people behind me had to deal with the racket of me being “on the pipe” to stay in the powerband 3500-6000 rpm pulling the 8-10% grades. I can say without a doubt my brake shoes are now bedded in on the downhill side. Lol. I’m confident at this point she’ll make the trip to GOFWest at Lake Tahoe in September should I decide to drive it.

I’m still debating on whether or not to load it, dad’s car TD/c-8151 (which will still be under restoration), TD/c-16920 for sale as a restoration project in the race trailer and haul them all up the hill via Reno down 395 and back over Carson Pass. Plenty time to rethink this through.

Bill Chasser
TD-4834

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
ragtc Avatar
ragtc Bob Grunau
Mississauga, ON, Canada   CAN
[/quote]
Bill, I have an engine turned fascia cover for a LHD TD, including glove box. I can take photos, but how to transport it?? Offers ??
Thanks, Bob Grunau , 905-274-4136 grunau.garage@sympatico.ca

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TD Tickford Avatar
TD Tickford Douglas Robinson
Scottsdale, AZ, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
Bob, I'm not interested in buying, but would like to see a photo! Was it ever installed? That would be a good photo to see.

Doug

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
Bob. I’ll be sending you a reply later
today offline

Bill Chasser
TD-4834

Tpss Tim Parrott
Stroud, gloucestershire, UK   GBR
Disaster has struck, there is a hairline crack in the block between the two lower core plugs under the exhaust manifold. This is where the block cross section goes from thin to thick and is a standard fatigue crack aided by thermal cycling, poor quality casting from the 1930's and corrosion. There are three stages of this, about to crack, cracked and fixed. My spare block is fixed, the one in the car was at the first and is now at the second stage!

Here is a stellar picture of a repair from frost damage. http://www.billdavis.org/MGTA/EngineRebuild.html. It shows what can be done to repair a block.

I intend to stop the leak for the with some magic elixir for the summer and then remove the engine and get a machined plate fitted over the winter. I amy also have the spare engine built by then. I may swap out the gearbox as the one in the car is noisy in first and second but that may be standard for straight cut gears. I also have oil weeping from the bell housing from the wet clutch that needs fixing as well, plus the speedo cable leeks.

K-Leak, Irontite, Bars, Blue Devil and many others makes claims for their wonderful leak stopping properties. The car has done just 60 miles since the block and head were dipped in a soda bath. The pipes, pump and radiator core are all brand new. There is no heater matrix as there is no heater. Just need to flush the anti freeze if I use Irontite other products are not bothered.

Anyone ,any recommendations for which product will deliver the best solution please

MRoadster Avatar
MRoadster Gold Member Jim Wulf
Doylestown, PA, USA   USA
1938 MG TA Tickford "The TA"
1963 Ford Thunderbird "The M Car"
1967 MG MGB MkI "The B"
In reply to # 3736447 by Tpss Disaster has struck, there is a hairline crack in the block between the two lower core plugs under the exhaust manifold. This is where the block cross section goes from thin to thick and is a standard fatigue crack aided by thermal cycling, poor quality casting from the 1930's and corrosion. There are three stages of this, about to crack, cracked and fixed. My spare block is fixed, the one in the car was at the first and is now at the second stage!

Here is a stellar picture of a repair from frost damage. http://www.billdavis.org/MGTA/EngineRebuild.html. It shows what can be done to repair a block.

I intend to stop the leak for the with some magic elixir for the summer and then remove the engine and get a machined plate fitted over the winter. I amy also have the spare engine built by then. I may swap out the gearbox as the one in the car is noisy in first and second but that may be standard for straight cut gears. I also have oil weeping from the bell housing from the wet clutch that needs fixing as well, plus the speedo cable leeks.

K-Leak, Irontite, Bars, Blue Devil and many others makes claims for their wonderful leak stopping properties. The car has done just 60 miles since the block and head were dipped in a soda bath. The pipes, pump and radiator core are all brand new. There is no heater matrix as there is no heater. Just need to flush the anti freeze if I use Irontite other products are not bothered.

Anyone ,any recommendations for which product will deliver the best solution please
Tim,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune with the MPJG; after reading your tale, I think I made the right decision (for once) to stay with the TPBG in my TA. FWIW, I can wholeheartedly recommend K-Seal (which you referred to as K-Leakwinking smiley). I like it because it is a non-clogging product. I have used it numerous time in personal cars with great success to seal leaking expansion plugs, the rear cover on a water pump, and minor radiator leaks. I was once affiliated with a company the dealt with new 4 cylinder Ford industrial engines which were plagued with leaking cylinder head gaskets. Nothing worked until they started simply adding K-Seal to every engine that went out the door. The head gasket leak complaints dropped to nearly zero with no other adverse effects reported. Good Luck!

Attachments:
K-Seal.jpg    33.2 KB
K-Seal.jpg

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
It was my Birthday, so we took "Baby" out for a drive and dinner!
I just licensed it and insured it on May 11th and have driven it every day since (about 400 miles this week)....loving it!
I need to replace the tires, and want something taller than are on it at present.
What size tires (and brand) are most TF owners running on their cars??
Thanks for an suggestions.
Good Roads
Brian

peter14222 Avatar
peter14222 Peter Gilvarry
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3737264 by Woodysrods It was my Birthday, so we took "Baby" out for a drive and dinner!
I just licensed it and insured it on May 11th and have driven it every day since (about 400 miles this week)....loving it!
I need to replace the tires, and want something taller than are on it at present.
What size tires (and brand) are most TF owners running on their cars??
Thanks for an suggestions.
Good Roads
Brian

165/80X15, brands vary, lots of folks were bringing them into US from UK, maybe Longstone Tyres in UK was the provider.

Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 11:02 AM by peter14222.

TCtrundle Avatar
TCtrundle David B
Commack, NY, USA   USA
vredestein Tires seem to be popular here in the colonies. I have them on a couple of my cars. They seem to hold up well. Grassroots Motorsport magazine did a comparison a while ago and they rated decently. Look at the vintage tire section since they also make tires for boring cars too.
https://www.vredestein.com/car-suv-van/tyre-finder/tires

groucho Avatar
groucho Marquis Claude
Chardonne, Vaud, Switzerland   CHE
I agree with David. I recently bought 4 Vredestein 165/80/15 for my TD after the explosion of the rear right tyre that was 18 years old (in fact I didm't check the age when I bought the car). Direction is much more precise and comfortable than before. Moreover, the price is reasonnable compared to other brands like Michelin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 12:38 PM by groucho.

Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Thanks guys!
Has anyone used Pirelli Centurato 185 70VR 15 CA67 tires on their TF's.
The are very pricy, but have a nice tread and a 26.5" tall.
Brian
PS
My car with Pirelli Centurato P6 195 60R 15's on it.

Attachments:
IMG_0377.jpeg    46 KB
IMG_0377.jpeg

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Very nice tyres - at a price. I used them years ago, but not on a TF. Longstone Tyres have them, but Michelin XZX are half the price and nearly as nice. Another option would be Blockley radials. Longstone are hard to beat and experienced at export.
Dave H

sonofmagni Avatar
sonofmagni Karl Thorkildsen
Mason, NH, USA   USA
Replacing throttle shafts and plates. Did not realize/remember that this required drilling for the throttle stop arms. But I think back around 1980 this is why I decided against replacing them on my old 240Z. Turns out not that difficult a job smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster