MGExp

T-Series & Prewar Forum

What did you do with your T-Series today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGAdavid Avatar
MGAdavid David Werblow
Portland, CT, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1959 MG MGA
LaVerne,

Thanks for posting the video, the only thing I feel I could handle is getting a cat !

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGACharlie Avatar
MGACharlie Silver Member Charlie Adams
Fairfax Station, VA, USA   USA
1951 MG TD MkII
1955 MG TF
1962 MG MGA MkII "Red"
LaVerne, Bill and others,

There is a lot of work shown through your recent photos and discussion which will be very helpful as I get started in on my TF next year. I've got rust in the tub sheet metal in the areas where the rockers bolt up. The wood looks pretty good overall, but the the rear section of the tub is a bit loose so those dogleg corners will need to be addressed.

I'm thinking of putting the tub on a buck to start the process, and then moving it to the chassis when the doors fits must be completed. I know that at some point, the tub must be moved to the chassis if the door fit is to be close, but I'm really not sure what timing will be best.

Yesterday, I started learning how to weld with an acetylene torch and really enjoyed it. I'll have that as an option for now on.

Charlie

Attachments:
IMG_0925.jpg    43 KB
IMG_0925.jpg

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
In reply to # 3714179 by MGAdavid LaVerne,

Thanks for posting the video, the only thing I feel I could handle is getting a cat !

I was waiting for somebody to comment on my cat and that rodent she was eating....ugh!!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, AL, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior" ~ For Sale ! ~
1954 MG TF
Anyone considering a project TF should consider mine. It’s disassembled and complete, has a motor that was blueprinted in the 70’s and driven little since. The original wood is solid as a rock. It is driveable even with all wings, doors, and chrome off. Most is presently in primer. Original color was cream. Most chrome needs polishing plating or replacing. Top frame is good. Top is shot. Seats need testifying but apparently original leather is decent, o rips. Original wire wheels are tight and true. It’s a perfect t TF project and I will let it go for $13,500 as is. ThT’s wht I pId for it before I started working on it. I hVe to take care of my wife now, so car projects and motorhome ha e to go.

shoalsgary Avatar
shoalsgary Gary Simpson
Killen, AL, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Junior" ~ For Sale ! ~
1954 MG TF
Thanks. I have come to that conclusion in spite of the fact that I wish I had bought all of my MG’s disassembled so I would have surprises when I tore them down!

In reply to # 3714335 by shoalsgary Anyone considering a project TF should consider mine. It’s disassembled and complete, has a motor that was blueprinted in the 70’s and driven little since. The original wood is solid as a rock. It is driveable even with all wings, doors, and chrome off. Most is presently in primer. Original color was cream. Most chrome needs polishing plating or replacing. Top frame is good. Top is shot. Seats need testifying but apparently original leather is decent, o rips. Original wire wheels are tight and true. It’s a perfect t TF project and I will let it go for $13,500 as is. ThT’s wht I pId for it before I started working on it. I hVe to take care of my wife now, so car projects and motorhome ha e to go.

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
Got the BSF nuts in today. Welded them back to the areas on the frame where they were missing. Put new nuts on the master cylinder backing plate and welded the plate back in.

No more ugly weld

Bruce E. Cunha

Attachments:
20180411_154606.jpg    23.8 KB
20180411_154606.jpg

TD4834 Avatar
TD4834 Bill Chasser
Sacramento, CA, USA   USA
SVMGCC Sacramento Delta run today. 4 TDs and 3 Bs. No breakdowns in the group today. Great weather. My car TD-4834 (far right) ran super strong as well. Hoping it stays that. Need to find the remaining electrical gremlins

Horns don’t work when mounted on the car

Driving lights only work when headlights are in the park position.

No Brake lights. Juice to both sides of the switch but nothing at the rear apron junction. I have taillights.

No turn signals

Attachments:
BDEB2909-ED9A-49F0-9EA0-5967201BF8DC.jpeg    53.1 KB
BDEB2909-ED9A-49F0-9EA0-5967201BF8DC.jpeg

crankjournal Len Fanelli
Yonkers, NY, USA   USA
Bill Glad to hear that it " Ran super strong!
Len

MGAdavid Avatar
MGAdavid David Werblow
Portland, CT, USA   USA
1954 MG TF
1959 MG MGA
Bill,

Gee now you have a few hours of real fun ahead, there is nothing more satisfying than successful hunting electrical gremlins .

Frank C MGTF Avatar
Frank C MGTF Frank C
Chelmsford, MA, USA   USA
1953 MG TF "Ashleigh"
In reply to # 3713912 by Bruce Cunha Take pictures of the crimping Bill. I would be interested in seeing how that is done.

Frank Cronin
TF 1414

Attachments:
20140716_164733.jpg    23.5 KB
20140716_164733.jpg

20140716_164755.jpg    26.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20140716_165122.jpg    26.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
I tidied up the shed floor by lifting this great red lump off the stand and putting back where it belongs. I believe it hasn’t been there since1974. Question is, will I get chance to fire it up before we go away next week? I still need to find some M8 bolts 3 5/16 long for the rocker towers as it looks like a P.O. had tightened both sizes of bolts to 30lbs/ft as the thin ones were well and truly stretched.
Feels like real progress at last and I am only 18 months in.
Chris

Attachments:
A70220DA-AC8C-4017-AF22-17CC9BD8A46F.jpeg    58.9 KB
A70220DA-AC8C-4017-AF22-17CC9BD8A46F.jpeg

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Chris. Looking good. Whilst you are in the UK it would be worthwhile obtaining a kit to convert the oil filter to filter cartridges - better filtering and easier to change.
Dave H

Ctwidle Chris Twidle
Reesville, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1954 MG TF
Dave, I asked my local supplier about a spin on filter adapter and he said he couldn’t supply them at a reasonable price. He says that the cartridges he stocks are so cheap they can be changed often. I hadn’t considered the quality of filtration! I also suspect that the first time I change that filter I will probably be getting an oil bath and rushing out to convert. I think I had better add it to the list of things to look for on our trip.
I did have a bad experience when I fitted an adapter to my Stag. I eventually tracked the leak down to a pin hole in the casting - replaced by supplier and no problems since.
Cheers,
Chris.

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
In reply to # 3717423 by Ctwidle I tidied up the shed floor by lifting this great red lump off the stand and putting back where it belongs. I believe it hasn’t been there since1974. Question is, will I get chance to fire it up before we go away next week? I still need to find some M8 bolts 3 5/16 long for the rocker towers as it looks like a P.O. had tightened both sizes of bolts to 30lbs/ft as the thin ones were well and truly stretched.
Feels like real progress at last and I am only 18 months in.
Chris

Do you have a banana hole block or head? as I see that is what the head gasket is.

Buckdendave David Hill
St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK   GBR
1954 MG TF
Chris. The spin on oil adapters tend to cost around £70 from the mainstream suppliers, but there is a guy that sells them on ebay uk from time to time at about £50. I think its Roger Furneaux but not 100% sure (it might be worth looking at his price list or giving him a call if interested). I bought one and its perfect, and no different from the more expensive ones. Uses a common spin on cartridge (mini I think).
Dave

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 MG MGB GT V6 Conversion

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links