AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

WTB My 1st MG [Portland, OR]
Car For Sale MGB Midget Wanted
Double0Eight Adam Aldrete
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
I'm looking for a running or a running project MG Midget, but would also love an MGB. My father in law ran an MG shop for 30 years and I'm looking for my 1st starter car, and am excited to join the community. My budget won't allow me too be too picky so bring on the rubber bumpers, but I'm not looking for a restoration either. I may be looking for a needle in the haystack, but I have cash for the right car.

I'm looking to stay around $2,500.

I've tried craigslist and kept an eye on a few of the local auctions, but haven't landed on anything yet. Are there any other resources I may be missing? Please send me a PM if you have something you're trying to sell.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Montgomery Park swap meet 4/29/18. You never know what will be there. Or, I have one for $7500.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
Thanks Chris,

I walked all over the PIR and Expo center swaps last weekend and didn't see anything. It's good to know that there's a British meet coming up, I'll get that on my calendar for sure.

LmBoise Avatar
LmBoise Gold Member Louis Miller
Boise, ID, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
1977 MG MGB "Trouble"
There was a rubber bumper at the raceway, but way over priced for a clear project car. I think the Montgomery Park meet is where you want to be.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
29desoto Avatar
29desoto Gold Member Wayne Sanders
Outside Otis, OR - in the woods!, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1965 MG MGB V6 Conversion "Carmine"
1968 MG MGB GT "New Yeller"
1977 MG MGB "Ole Yeller" ~ For Sale ! ~    & more
You just missed "Ole Yeller". The perfect car for ya!

Wayne Sanders
Rose Lodge, OR
(TD 4288)

"I don't care to belong to any club that accepts people like me"-joined Willamette Valley Club in 2011

77 MGB - Four tone paint -Pertronix - hood props - cheap tires - new springs all around - mixture of poly and rubber bushings- fuzzy seatcovers - stereo out of old F150 pickup -runs flawlessly and drives nice.

78 MGB - Done right by a good PO, and I only bought it. Tell Jim how nice it is. But I did put in a Datsun 5 speed.

53 TD Mark II - a work in progress.

79/65 MGB - Carmine- V-6 - T-5
This car is now very nearly completely done. Sure to find something else, but not now.........

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Don’t be in a hurry, one will find it’s way to you in the most unexpected way ! Believe me I know

Wirewheels Avatar
Wirewheels Gold Member Brian Induni
Oregon City, Oreogn, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
1963 MG MGB "Casper"
1966 Austin-Healey Sprite "~ Sold ~"
1973 Triumph Stag    & more
Jack's right - they're out there, just be ready to strike with cash in hand. There was a yellow 1970 B for sale at the Expo Swap Meet last weekend, decent shape for (I think) about $4k. It was obscurely sitting in all by itself. I should have taken a pic of the phone number...

Keep in mind that every MGB (or LBC for that matter) is a rolling work in progress. I drive the snot out of my '63 B and it has never let me down, but I do keep up with every little bump, clunk, and squeak. If you do find one for your budget, plan on putting some time & money into it to make it a reliable drier. I commonly see decent drivers (like Roop's) for $4-8k and sometimes see "projects" for $2-3k that wouldn't take more than a solid weekend to sort out and make drive-able.

You may have more luck in the fall when people are realizing they don't have the space to store a seasonal car. Good luck Adam! Feel free to PM me once in a while as I frequently come across cars like you describe that I just don't have room for.

Brian

Brian
CEO, Classic Automotive Innovations
http://www.classicautoinnovations.com

(too many classic come and go, so I've given up listing them...)

Member Services:
Inventors of Classic Speed™. At last, your mechanical speedometer will always read accurately!
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Ohlord just posted this on the main forum:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/d/1979-mgb-convertible/6559005575.html
Looks like a lot of car for the money. $2500 doesn't buy much so....

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
I found my 77 four years ago at the All British Field meet on Labor Day weekend. It had shiny original paint, ran and drove, with overdrive, and looked a lot like the white one in the pic. It needed a top, carpet, and seats recovered. He included the top and carpet. He was asking $3500 and didn’t want to store it through the winter. They are out there, but be prepared to look. Kyle.

Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
Thanks Chris, I saw this one pop up too. I haven't had the time to make the drive up this weekend, but hopefully it'll still be around come next week.

tim65mgb Avatar
tim65mgb Silver Member Tim Guntly
Cherry Valley, IL, USA   USA
1960 Daimler V8-250 "SP250"
1980 MG MGB
2007 Mazda MX-5 NC "The Mistress"
2013 Ford Edge
I bought my 1980 B with 9463 miles on it for 2700. It had been stored for 20 years. I could have had it running in a few weekends, but decided to refurb and do chrome bumper conversion. Good luck, but the best you can.
Rust can be very costly to repair correctly.

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717318 by tim65mgb I bought my 1980 B with 9463 miles on it for 2700. It had been stored for 20 years. I could have had it running in a few weekends, but decided to refurb and do chrome bumper conversion. Good luck, but the best you can.
Rust can be very costly to repair correctly.

It's even more expensive to repair it incorrectly. smiling smiley

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
ebooks76B Avatar
ebooks76B Gold Member Earl B
Queensbury, NY, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Almost"
1976 MG MGB "The Organ Donor"
I think that this car is at a used car dealer in Stevenson, WA. I was visiting family and spotted it driving by so, I stopped for a quick look, not a bad deal. It would be worth checking out.

A google search should help find this dealer; not too many in Stevenson.

In reply to # 3717187 by Wirewheels Jack's right - they're out there, just be ready to strike with cash in hand. There was a yellow 1970 B for sale at the Expo Swap Meet last weekend, decent shape for (I think) about $4k. It was obscurely sitting in all by itself. I should have taken a pic of the phone number...

Keep in mind that every MGB (or LBC for that matter) is a rolling work in progress. I drive the snot out of my '63 B and it has never let me down, but I do keep up with every little bump, clunk, and squeak. If you do find one for your budget, plan on putting some time & money into it to make it a reliable drier. I commonly see decent drivers (like Roop's) for $4-8k and sometimes see "projects" for $2-3k that wouldn't take more than a solid weekend to sort out and make drive-able.

You may have more luck in the fall when people are realizing they don't have the space to store a seasonal car. Good luck Adam! Feel free to PM me once in a while as I frequently come across cars like you describe that I just don't have room for.

Brian

Forum: (fo·rum)

1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 07:19 AM by ebooks76B.

Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
Earl, thanks for the heads up. I think it must be Sam's Used Cars, I did a quick google and found a Seattle Times article on the dealership:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/heaps-of-love-for-classic-cars/

If anything, its definitely worth a weekend drive to check it out.

ebooks76B Avatar
ebooks76B Gold Member Earl B
Queensbury, NY, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Almost"
1976 MG MGB "The Organ Donor"
Adam,

That's the guy.

He has a 1970 MGB with the correct recessed grille and split rear bumper (<--- 1970 only!). Definitely check this car out and let us know your thoughts.

Feel free to PM me of you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Earl

In reply to # 3717922 by Double0Eight Earl, thanks for the heads up. I think it must be Sam's Used Cars, I did a quick google and found a Seattle Times article on the dealership:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/heaps-of-love-for-classic-cars/

If anything, its definitely worth a weekend drive to check it out.

Forum: (fo·rum)

1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster