MGExp

Buy, Sell & Trade Forum

1980 MGB "Limited Edition" one owner, restored, 54,xxx original miles, Orlando FL [FL, USA]

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TonysMGB B D
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Hi there.
Thanks for looking.

My bosses asked me to sell her car for them, as they aren't quite so good at the internet.
If you have any questions, or want to see the car, I can provide you their direct contact information.

Here's what I know:
They bought this car brand new off the showroom floor. It was my boss' wife's dream to have a little imported convertible.
It was her regular daily transportation until they had a baby in 1993. After that, it was driven less and less frequently, but always kept in the garage, and driven here and there.

At some point in the late 90's early 2000s, it basically just sat, but again, still under a car cover in the garage the whole time.

In 2007, they did an aesthetic and mechanical restoration. I don't believe it was a full nut and bolt, but a good quality disassembled paint job, along with a new top, new seat covers, and a fair bit of mechanical work. Body rubbers were replaced as needed, and most mechanical consumables were replaced as well. He may or may not be able to find the receipts / invoices, but he spent just over $10k on the resto, at a well regarded local import shop. Unfortunately (or fortunately) since then, it probably hasn't gone more than a thousand miles, but still kept in a garage, under a car cover.

In the interest of getting it ready for sale, he had the car detailed, and changed the gas, and the car starts and runs fine. The only known issues at the moment are the clock doesn't seem to keep good time, and the radio is not fully functional, but it runs and drives, shifts and stops generally as it should. Also, there is a small oil puddle (after sitting there for 10 years), So there may be a slight weep from a seal, but based on how long it's been sitting, none of those seals have gotten up to temp in a while. He's going to try to drive it more so as to shake it out and hopefully some of these issues may go away.

This is a really really good car. I feel like it's almost what you would buy at a used MG dealer in 1984 or 1985 or so. It has very low miles, and one owner since new that (other than the periods where it sat), fixed things when they broke. As many of you know, many of these cars have a had a rough road getting to 2018, this is not that kind of car.

Details:
1980 MGB Limited edition
-One owner since new
-54,xxx original miles.
-2007 light restoration
-Garage kept virtually since new
-4 speed trans

$7500.

Photos:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-09 05:06 PM by TonysMGB.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2024.JPG    92.9 KB
IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2025.JPG    67.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2027.JPG    90 KB
IMG_2028.JPG    78.2 KB
TonysMGB B D
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
More photos:

Attachments:
IMG_2019.JPG    46.9 KB
IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2021.JPG    51.5 KB
IMG_2022.JPG    46.8 KB
IMG_2023.JPG    42.5 KB
roadster65 Avatar
roadster65 gavin vincent
Sydney, Australia   AUS
If it weren't for distance I'd seriously consider buying this car thumbs up

In reply to # 3713800 by TonysMGB Hi there.
Thanks for looking.

My bosses asked me to sell her car for them, as they aren't quite so good at the internet.
If you have any questions, or want to see the car, I can provide you their direct contact information.

Here's what I know:
They bought this car brand new off the showroom floor. It was my boss' wife's dream to have a little imported convertible.
It was her regular daily transportation until they had a baby in 1993. After that, it was driven less and less frequently, but always kept in the garage, and driven here and there.

At some point in the late 90's early 2000s, it basically just sat, but again, still under a car cover in the garage the whole time.

In 2007, they did an aesthetic and mechanical restoration. I don't believe it was a full nut and bolt, but a good quality disassembled paint job, along with a new top, new seat covers, and a fair bit of mechanical work. Body rubbers were replaced as needed, and most mechanical consumables were replaced as well. He may or may not be able to find the receipts / invoices, but he spent just over $10k on the resto, at a well regarded local import shop. Unfortunately (or fortunately) since then, it probably hasn't gone more than a thousand miles, but still kept in a garage, under a car cover.

In the interest of getting it ready for sale, he had the car detailed, and changed the gas, and the car starts and runs fine. The only known issues at the moment are the clock doesn't seem to keep good time, and the radio is not fully functional, but it runs and drives, shifts and stops generally as it should. Also, there is a small oil puddle (after sitting there for 10 years), So there may be a slight weep from a seal, but based on how long it's been sitting, none of those seals have gotten up to temp in a while. He's going to try to drive it more so as to shake it out and hopefully some of these issues may go away.

This is a really really good car. I feel like it's almost what you would buy at a used MG dealer in 1984 or 1985 or so. It has very low miles, and one owner since new that (other than the periods where it sat), fixed things when they broke. As many of you know, many of these cars have a had a rough road getting to 2018, this is not that kind of car.

Details:
1980 MGB Limited edition
-One owner since new
-54,xxx original miles.
-2007 light restoration
-Garage kept virtually since new
-4 speed trans

$7500.

Photos:

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TonysMGB B D
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
I totally understand, and thanks for the free bump!
(When I saw your reply in my email, I was going to try to convince you it's worth the trip. Then I realized you're in AUS. Yeah, I totally understand)

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Where else are you marketing this car ? Local paper, Hemming’s, Craig’s List ? Don’t just depend on this site alone. The car should sell if it gets proper exposure.

TonysMGB B D
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Hey, Tampaguy!

Well, you're not wrong. But I had been watching this site for a little while (6 months) in anticipation of this, and I was impressed with the traffic for such a niche website.

Also, My boss mentioned that once, she had an offer of $12k, but the person mentioned that they wanted to put big wheels and a stereo in it (?), and she declined to sell it based on that alone.

This really is her baby, and the most important thing is that it goes to someone who will love it and care for it (like the survivor that it is). That's one of the reasons that we are only listing it here (at least at this time), and have it priced at (what I think) is a very strong price for the car. I didn't know that she bought it brand new, but even though the rubber bumper models are less desirable, it's a true original car. Incidentally, do you think we have it priced fairly? You guys know these cars better than I.

If we get nothing after a month or two, I may consider CL, but I have sold cars on CL, and it's .... well, ..... a different market for sure!

TBH, I think this would be a great car for BaT, but I wasn't able to talk them into a no reserve auction. I feel like on Bring a Trailer, at a no reserve auction, this car could do really well.

Thanks again!

trymes Avatar
trymes Gold Member Tom Rymes
Concord, NH, USA   USA
I'd suggest that you put some photos of the underbody and the sills here, because everyone looking for an MGB will want to see them.

TonysMGB B D
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
As requested, more photos:
If there's anything in particular you want to see, just let me know!

Thank you!

Attachments:
IMG_2272.JPG    65.4 KB
IMG_2272.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG    55.7 KB
IMG_2275.JPG    34.9 KB
IMG_2276.JPG    39.8 KB
TonysMGB B D
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
More:

Attachments:
IMG_2277.JPG    33.4 KB
IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG    25.8 KB
IMG_2279.JPG    43.9 KB
IMG_2280.JPG    49.7 KB
TonysMGB B D
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Additional photos:

Attachments:
IMG_2281.JPG    55.2 KB
IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG    28 KB
IMG_2283.JPG    33.4 KB
IMG_2284.JPG    37.4 KB
TonysMGB B D
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
More additional photos:

Attachments:
IMG_2285.JPG    29.7 KB
IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG    37.8 KB
princetn1 Avatar
princetn1 Gold Member Mike Ruckman
Tampa, FL, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Lil' Car"
1979 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
In Tampa (100 miles away) and seriously interested.

Member Services:
I've restored Nardi, Personal, Mountney, MotoLita, Les Leston, and even bakelite banjo wheels.
tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Go Mike go !

roadster65 Avatar
roadster65 gavin vincent
Sydney, Australia   AUS
Tony

I would vacuum the interior and perhaps pressure wash the underside; clean the car up a bit and focus on the presentation.

USD $7,500 = AUD $15,000 so I think you're right on the money for price being fair.

Cheers - GV

PS: if you can, put the original steering back on too.

In reply to # 3716056 by TonysMGB Hey, Tampaguy!

Well, you're not wrong. But I had been watching this site for a little while (6 months) in anticipation of this, and I was impressed with the traffic for such a niche website.

Also, My boss mentioned that once, she had an offer of $12k, but the person mentioned that they wanted to put big wheels and a stereo in it (?), and she declined to sell it based on that alone.

This really is her baby, and the most important thing is that it goes to someone who will love it and care for it (like the survivor that it is). That's one of the reasons that we are only listing it here (at least at this time), and have it priced at (what I think) is a very strong price for the car. I didn't know that she bought it brand new, but even though the rubber bumper models are less desirable, it's a true original car. Incidentally, do you think we have it priced fairly? You guys know these cars better than I.

If we get nothing after a month or two, I may consider CL, but I have sold cars on CL, and it's .... well, ..... a different market for sure!

TBH, I think this would be a great car for BaT, but I wasn't able to talk them into a no reserve auction. I feel like on Bring a Trailer, at a no reserve auction, this car could do really well.

Thanks again!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster