AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Today's autocross run..
  This topic is about my 1977 MG MGB MkIV
Thurlowb Avatar
Thurlowb Silver Member Brad Thurlow
Coquitlam, BC, Canada   CAN
So today was the first race on the RE-71Rs in dry conditions. WOW! These tires are STICKY!! More than a few times I got off line and turned quicker than I knew I should...and got away with it.

More grip obviously translates into more braking power as well. Brake later, turn harder, carry more speed through turns...it just improves everything. Enjoy!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Thurlowb Avatar
While it turned out that I did very well yesterday (finished third in my group of 25), today was not so good. I think I finished in 19th of 26. There was one corner on this layout that I just could not find my way quickly through. Oh well..that's racin!

Steve64B Avatar
Steve64B Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
3rd in a group of 25... Outstanding!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steve64B Avatar
Steve64B Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Brad... is the corner you were having problems with, the long left hander at roughly the 20 second mark?

Thurlowb Avatar
In reply to # 3738406 by Steve64B Brad... is the corner you were having problems with, the long left hander at roughly the 20 second mark?

No...the problem corner is right at :47 sec. it is a very tight right turn... since it is such a tight corner, I was downshifting into 2nd... later I tried staying in third but I had no rpm at the exit of the corner and lost time trying to accelerate toward the finish. The downshift to 2nd was a distraction that upset the car balance into and thru the corner...and the more I pushed the more the car pushed (under steer)

I only had 6 shots at it, or I think I would have figured it out. Since the car accelerates so slowly, it really hurts to give up that much speed in a corner. I think staying in 3rd would have worked if I had widened the corner to the max and trail braked deeply thru it to move the grip to the front..... but I ran out of chances before I tried that specifically.

Oh well.. I am getting better.
Brad

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
Maybe stab the clutch with the throttle down to give it a bit more punch in 3rd coming out of the corner.

If the car is pushing, are you allowed to sway bar tune or add poly busing in the back to give more rear bar? Not sure about the car class.

Thurlowb Avatar
That’s an interesting tip...stabbing the clutch... I’ll try that out sometime.

I’m really happy with the current setup of the car. I can create over or understeer depending on throttle or braking. It was just this particular corner that I was getting on the throttle too soon or too much and losing front end grip.

Every week is a different course and I just have to be quicker at learning what technique is needed to maximize each corner.

Brad

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster