AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3679896 by Gulf MGB If you look at the Jan 2018 SVRA Tire regulations, The Nitto NT-01's are still legal to run, just with the same tread depth at race completion statement...

https://svra.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/SVRA_Tire_Regulations_1.18-1.pdf

Kenny, yeah I see that now, it was on the memo there last year without that date, but with the understanding the NT-01 would go away for this year, the 1/20/18 listed revision is new on that memo. Well that's good to know, so it appears all the fears were unwarranted.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
John Hamilton Avatar
Laurel Hill, FL, USA   USA
1963 Austin-Healey Sprite
1965 MG MGB "The Great Pumpkin"
1968 MG MGB GT "Buck"
1970 MG MGB "Dad's Car"
Kenny, your link is outdated by 1 month. This one dated February 2018 specifically removes the RA1 and NT01 from the approved tire list.

http://www.svra.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/SVRA_Tire_Regulations_2.17.pdf

If I can't be fast, I'll just be obnoxious!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Gulf MGB Avatar
Gulf MGB Kenny Williamson
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB "Flying Frigidaire"
1965 MG MGB "Gulf MGB"
John, I think the link you are referring to is dated Feb 2017, not Feb 2018...

In reply to # 3680667 by John Hamilton Kenny, your link is outdated by 1 month. This one dated February 2018 specifically removes the RA1 and NT01 from the approved tire list.

http://www.svra.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/SVRA_Tire_Regulations_2.17.pdf

Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3679896 by Gulf MGB If you look at the Jan 2018 SVRA Tire regulations, The Nitto NT-01's are still legal to run, just with the same tread depth at race completion statement...

https://svra.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/SVRA_Tire_Regulations_1.18-1.pdf

Yep, that's what I read too, the Nittos are now in again with SVRA, revised 1-20-18 in the link Kenny provided.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
bugeyebob Avatar
bugeyebob Bob B
northern catskills, NY, USA   USA
Yes, they are legal, IF you have deep pockets and can afford to buy a new set every weekend !! If you realize that just two circumferential grooves start life at 6/32" and all the others are at 3/32" then the tires are are considered illegal after 1/32" wear measured anywhere across "the complete racing surface of the tire". Read the new SVRA tire regulations and let me know if I'm interpreting this wrong. Tread depths obtained from Nitto website

Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3680983 by bugeyebob Yes, they are legal, IF you have deep pockets and can afford to buy a new set every weekend !! If you realize that just two circumferential grooves start life at 6/32" and all the others are at 3/32" then the tires are are considered illegal after 1/32" wear measured anywhere across "the complete racing surface of the tire". Read the new SVRA tire regulations and let me know if I'm interpreting this wrong. Tread depths obtained from Nitto website

Bob

Bob they are actually deeper than advertised, I did 8 weekends on a set before they would have been deemed illegal. The set on the car now, bought in 2012, 3 are still legal after 9 weekends of racing, only the L/F now is wiping out the most outer tread grooves,and now illegal.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
bugeyebob Avatar
bugeyebob Bob B
northern catskills, NY, USA   USA
Good to know, thanks Hap.

Bob

Gulf MGB Avatar
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB "Gulf MGB"
Bob, I am of the understanding that the main issue is racers shaving the tires to the min tread depth then racing on them, in essence they turn into slicks during the race and actually improve as they wear, giving an "unfair advantage". I don't think it has ever been a "tire wear" issue...

In reply to # 3680983 by bugeyebob Yes, they are legal, IF you have deep pockets and can afford to buy a new set every weekend !! If you realize that just two circumferential grooves start life at 6/32" and all the others are at 3/32" then the tires are are considered illegal after 1/32" wear measured anywhere across "the complete racing surface of the tire". Read the new SVRA tire regulations and let me know if I'm interpreting this wrong. Tread depths obtained from Nitto website

Bob

Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3681130 by Gulf MGB Bob, I am of the understanding that the main issue is racers shaving the tires to the min tread depth then racing on them, in essence they turn into slicks during the race and actually improve as they wear, giving an "unfair advantage". I don't think it has ever been a "tire wear" issue...

In the MGB vintage racing world it would be more like wore them down because one was either too tight budgeted, or too frugile to buy a new setsmiling smiley In last few events when I would worry about tread depth getting thinner, I would go to the race and see guys who NT-01s were way more worn than mine, and it wasn't intended for an advantage from any of those guys, more like trying get one more weekend out of them smiling smiley Oh and can never remember seeing a car with really worn radials kicking everyone arse, not to say it has not happen, it is just not the norm, but vintage tech crews have to deal with the ones outside the norm.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
John Hamilton Avatar
Laurel Hill, FL, USA   USA
1963 Austin-Healey Sprite
1965 MG MGB "The Great Pumpkin"
1968 MG MGB GT "Buck"
1970 MG MGB "Dad's Car"
You guys are right, that link does say 2017. Either way, I'm too cheap to worry about legality at the limit, so I went to the R888.

If I can't be fast, I'll just be obnoxious!

skippymga Avatar
skippymga Gold Member Scott Brown
Redwood City, Northern California, USA   USA
1957 MG MGA
1964 MG MGB "#9"
1966 MG MGB GT "Boo"
1973 MG MGB GT V8 "Tbd"    & more
According to my contact at Hoosier West...

205 60 14 are now... part number H44415. The new converted tire size will be 23.0x6.5-14 HOTD-R (Compound)
This tire will have same dimensions, but will have a new compound to improve grip.

We have a few of the Midget drivers on them late last year. General consensus is that they are more consistent through the session and don't need a lap to two to get to temp. Both guys claimed a slightly better lap time as well.

CSRG is now accepting the NT1 and R888 as well.

Member Services:
V31 Lightweight Aluminum Seats are built utilizing a state-of-the-art CAD/CAM system and production techniques that ensures the Vintage 31 seats are of the highest level of quality for your vintage racer or sports car. Proudly built in the USA.
Gulf MGB Avatar
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB "Gulf MGB"
I have had nothing but excellent results from the Nitto Nt01's

Speedracer Avatar
The NT-01 has been good to me. Many moons ago here, when I was still racing SCCA on cantilever bias slicks, I read the following about radial race tries here in vintage racing. Although while I was reading all this here, I notices the fastest MGB vintage racer in the country ran radial tires, even freakish smaller size, ad the local fast MGB vintage racer was also using radials, hmmmmm.

I was told they require more negative camber, and they are unpredictable.

For me nothing could have been further from the truth. First off the NT01 sidewall construction, while not as stiff as the cantilever slicks I raced on before, but way stiffer that the Hoosier TDs. Now sidewall construction will directly affect your needed amount of negative camber. The stiffer the sidewall, the less negative camber you will need, I run 1 degree of negative camber. Myth busted.

Now, lets talk about predictability, I drift the ass end of the vintage MGB, pretty much the same way I did the SCCA Spridget on slicks, so that alone would test that theory. Bottom line I have no complaints of unpredictability, just the opposite, the tire is very secure even when drifted. It does not push in the corners, no matter how much I ask of it. I also seem to be able to tuck into tighter alternate line in a corner, that my competitors on bias tires don't seem to be able to do. Myth busted.

OK now lets talk about the known advantages of radial vs bias.

Radial tires have less reaction to the number of heat cycles you put them thru, really none I've to seen. So they run as good the last weekend you run them, as they did the first weekend you ran them.

Scott Brown, you should like this one, they don't leak air down sitting in the shop, even if they sit there an entire year.

They seem less likely to lock up under hard braking, this has always been a issue with bias TDs, I have personally witnesses more than few MGB racers flat spot front Hoosier TDs under hard braking, ruining them.

When I came to vintage racing, the SCCA prod car were beginning to start converting over to radail slicks from bias slick, however radial in vintage was nothing new. After trying new set of TDs in my first vintage race, which I absolutely hated, I decided to try my rain tires Fred had with the car, a set of full tread Toyo RA1, while they pushed some in the corners in that first race, they were still way better than the TD,and I was able to win my class in first vintage race.

So after that fist weekend, I needed to find a tire I liked, I looked to radials, believing they were the future. Bill Ranker posted here saying he really liked the NItto NT01. So I began my research. First off I found out Toyo and Nitto are sister companies and the R888 and NT-01 are the same basic tire other than tread design, however the R888 comes with deeper tread and everyone that was really fast with them were having them shaved before using, while the NT01s came molded to what everyone was shaving the R888s to, so for me that was another thing that made me look harder at the NT01, one less expense to deal with. I was able to get a Nitto tire engineer on the phone we went over my application, he advised me to run 1 degree of negative camber due the lower weight of MGB compared to other cars, then told me 25 psi +/- 2 psi was a good air pressure to start with, that has proven to be good information. Now only thing I an tell you is they don't get real hot on after session temps, we saw about 160-170. However with said when comes down to seat of the pant grip, it was way better than the other two tires I tried. Over the next few years, we saw the NT01 become a vry popular choice of MGB racers and fast MGBs as well , Butch McKenzie comes to mind, as well as others. AS for how do they wear, well I don't race as much as many of you, but I got 7 weekends out them before the L/F starting to wipe away the outer most tread bar,and half of thee races were at Roebling Road, a track known for wearing tires, so it would surprise me to hear other got even more weekend out of them.

OK there's my experience FWIW, oh and I need to buy a new set of tires for this season, guess what I will be buying. smiling smiley

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Member Services:
MadMax133 Avatar
MadMax133 Max Fulton
Durham, NC, USA   USA
John/Hap,

We just finished off our last set of Nittos @ Roebling. We got 6 weekends out of them, and we often do the Enduros. LF would definitely NOT be legal now. :-)

Years ago when we ran Hoosiers, we would use them for four weekends, but the last weekend was never competitive (tires were near bricks by then). So we've loved the Nittos.

We have already taken some of the camber out for a "compromise" setting that would still work for both tires, IF they give us the option. We were under the impression we'd have to go back to Hoosiers to stay legal for Gold Cup.

$.02

M

Speedracer Avatar
In reply to # 3684887 by MadMax133 John/Hap,

We just finished off our last set of Nittos @ Roebling. We got 6 weekends out of them, and we often do the Enduros. LF would definitely NOT be legal now. :-)

Years ago when we ran Hoosiers, we would use them for four weekends, but the last weekend was never competitive (tires were near bricks by then). So we've loved the Nittos.

We have already taken some of the camber out for a "compromise" setting that would still work for both tires, IF they give us the option. We were under the impression we'd have to go back to Hoosiers to stay legal for Gold Cup.

$.02

M

Hey Max, hope you are doing fine. Yep looks like if you like the Nittos you can dedicate to them. I told Rick Parent, which is a great guy, when SVRA said they were outlawing the NT01, I thought it was knee jerk reaction running tire shaved or worn down needed to be handled on case by case basis, easy enough to do in tech. In the end they must have listened to us racers, and it proves by changing their minds SVRA was responsive to the desire of their racers, I commend them for that.

I guess you guys are racing in the VDCA Wild Hare coming up in April at VIR. The shop move has not afforded me much time for the race car, but I am getting settled in to my temporary digs, and making a effort to make this race is a possibility. I will start working on the car this weekend, if I can't make the Wild Hare happen, I may use the Jefferson 500 as my back up spring race, I know I sure would like to go to Summit Point again, and the car has history there, so that would be cool as well. Also if I can't make the Wild Hare , I could plan for the Gold Cup now with my NT01s to get in a VIR race, as you know my only time there in a vintage car was the great flood Gold Cup weekend, which was a wash out.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-20 01:23 PM by Speedracer.

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 MG MGC GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links