Spridget Crossmember Modification

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GAMIdgetRacer Josh Nation
GA, USA   USA
I have scoured this website for details about modifying the front cross-member on a Spridget for better access to the crank pulley, and have not found a post detailing the process. I have found a picture online of such a modification and have included it in this post. Is the final product shown in the picture the commonly accepted way to modify the cross-member, or are there other approaches? Finally, prior to cutting the cross-member, should temporary supports be welded into place to guard against twisting? Thank you all for your guidance.

Josh

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Crossmember.jpg    54.2 KB
Crossmember.jpg

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Yep, that about all there is too it. I done this mode about 2-3 times before, I didn't support the cross member, it is really only there for a mount for the steering rack, not really that beefy when you cut into it , don't be shocked. you will think it is square tubing, it's just boxed over end sheet metal. With the said this a worthwhile mod, when you need to turn the engine over by hand and for things like valve adjustment, leak down test, etc..

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Just wondering - I don't have a Spridget - if one were going to do that modification, wouldn't one want to make the cut out large enough to be able to remove the crank pulley?

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

saysprite Avatar
saysprite Darryl Saylor
Mt. Juliet, TN, USA   USA
1953 Austin-Healey 100 "Ole Blue"
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Smokey"
1965 Austin-Healey Sprite "Porky"
1970 MG Midget "Jack"    & more
I only did mine after the steering rack bent it. Something about a wall hitting the left front. It took about 23 years for that to happen. I think I lined it back up with a new steering rack and fixed it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
More-is Garbage Thomas Van Auken
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
I did the mod on my car, wasn't difficult. To support what Hap said, when I cut into it, it wasn't as substantial as the rectangular tubing that I had earmarked for the job. I think it was 16 gauge or something.

Like Darryl, I used my steering rack as a "jig" to keep the alignment straight while I did the operation, but I suspect that this wasn't really that necessary.

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
I should think it only needs to be strong enough to hold the car together when there's no engine in. Otherwise the engine, with some solid mounts, makes a nice triangulatiion.... no?

Peter c

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
Looks like you could bolt a strap across the gap if you were worried about strength.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Spridget racers been doing this for 40+ years, it is cross member that R&P bolts to period , not structural part of the car, hell it's made out of sheet metal folded over to make it appear to be tubing, not real tubing . What people do this mostly for is to be able easily get a socket on the crank bolt to more easily adjust the valves and turn the engine over by hand. The is as old as the hills as for Spridget racers, just like slotting the motor mount brackets and opening up the upper mounting eye of the slave cylinder. This has literally been done to hundreds of racing Spridgets.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 06:48 PM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
BlueMax1 Avatar
BlueMax1 A G
?, ?, USA   USA
I also did it for the ease of installing the engine with the Datsun 5speed. For added strength I reinforced the frame rails and cross member.

Attachments:
P1030760.JPG    56.3 KB
P1030760.JPG

57 A Model Avatar
57 A Model Sam Seay
Titusville, Fla, USA   USA
A Monti carlo bar from shock to shock is what I fabricated as I don't have any roll bar structure quite that far up. Bolts on through Heim joints so it's removable for engine changes.

The older I get, the faster I was.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster