This topic is about my 1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion
stolizino Avatar
stolizino Silver Member Gary Kinslow
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB MkII "HRH Camille Of Marmite"
1969 MG MGC GT "Percival Snickersnacker"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Grover"
2006 BMW M Roadster "Manfred"    & more
Discovering some issues after Grover's release from his 2-year confinement, but this one has me puzzled. I get a generalized front end clunky vibration that I can feel in the steering column and the seat of my pants when backing up, actually more of a shuddering sensation. Vibration and rattling sound when making slow speed turns and when applying the brakes, with the sensation from the driver's set that the pads are rattling in the calipers. They're not, and all of the caliper bolts are present and secure. At normal city or highway driving speed it's still there but far less noticeable and virtually nonexistent at highway speed. Suggested issues are brakes or steering column issues. But after a phone description of these issues to my mechanic he suggested the steering column might be making contact with the headers. He recommended sliding a 4x6 card between the steering column and the headers, and if they're making contact, blocking the card, the mystery is solved, as the engine is transmitting vibrations to the steering column and probably needs new engine mounts.

Well, the card slides the entire length of the column, but there's definitely contact with both the steering column and the headers, so Grover is visiting the shop net week to confirm this is the issue.

Any other plausible causes? Steering column bushes are fine. This is more pronounced in the first drive of the morning.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GWHITE75 Avatar
GWHITE75 Gold Member Gary White
Sugar Land, TX, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "OldBlue#2"
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray "Old Red"
2006 Chevrolet Corvette "OldBlue"
Not being familiar with a MGC rear end, is it a posi-trac/limited slip unit? If so, it could be the fluid in it. I had a similar issue with another vehicle years ago and similar symptoms. I had to put in some posi-trac additive that reduced the clutch chattering in the rear end. Now this was a GM rear end and they sold a 4 oz. bottle that I added to the rear end. It stopped the problem almost immediately, but the symptoms came more from the seat pants and rear of the car, but they only happened in reverse and around corners, as you described.

stolizino Avatar
Gary, the MGC rear end is plain vanilla, no leaks. I wish it was a Quaife. That might've prevented the incident that put Grover in the shop for 2 years. If I were to keep it, it would be getting a Quaife but I can't justify the expense now. I just want to have it running perfectly for whoever buys it.

You bring up an interesting point, clutch chattering. Can you elaborate?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hamondale Silver Member John Hammond
NY, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey Sprite "Third Rail"
I also suggest checking the universal joints on the driveshaft. And do you have a rearend setup where the planes of the transmission output shaft and the pinion are offset a lot so the U-joints are angled quite a bit? I had that situation with my initial rearend setup, and it definitely caused shuddering when starting from a dead stop. I don't remember what the angle numbers were that I measured but there is plenty of info online on what is optimum and what the outer limits are.
H

GWHITE75 Avatar
GWHITE75 Gold Member Gary White
Sugar Land, TX, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "OldBlue#2"
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray "Old Red"
2006 Chevrolet Corvette "OldBlue"
In reply to # 3754916 by stolizino Gary, the MGC rear end is plain vanilla, no leaks. I wish it was a Quaife. That might've prevented the incident that put Grover in the shop for 2 years. If I were to keep it, it would be getting a Quaife but I can't justify the expense now. I just want to have it running perfectly for whoever buys it.

You bring up an interesting point, clutch chattering. Can you elaborate?

Sorry, was out in my garage. Ok, assuming the MGC rear end isn’t a posi-trac, my recommendation would not apply. Also, it wouldn’t have to be leaking, the stuff I mentioned would be an additive to what’s in it. This chattering I speak of would be from the mechanism inside the rear end that allows it to be limited slip, sending power to both rear tires, instead of just one like the OEM MGB rear end does. In a GM rear end, that mechanism can chatter on turns or even backing up. The additive allows a little more slippage to stop said chatter. Lastly, I’m considering a Quaife and yes, it is more than I care to pay as well, but easier for me, than narrowing a Ford or Chevy rear end.

After reading your initial post again, I see your last sentence about the steering column hitting the headers, which could really be the contributing factor, so my troubleshooting recommendations regarding the rear end is probably without merit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 03:09 PM by GWHITE75.

stolizino Avatar
Gary, the only comments without merit are the ones never posted! thumbs up

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster