Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GMATS Avatar
GMATS GERALD MATLIN
palm beach gardens, FL, USA   USA
I am posting in the swap forum because I want members who work on cars to respond because I think you guys & gals will best appreciate the “problem” I am facing.

I have come across a 1988 Acura Legend (5 speed & 6 cylinder engine) with ONLY 43,000 original miles. The car has not been on the road in 10 years. My buddy picked it up and has brought it back to like new. All fluids changed, all filters changed, new hoses, new plugs, injectors cleaned, new tires, and he even changed out the timing belt. Car has never been in an accident. The paint is almost like new. It was bought from the widow of the original owner who let it sit in the garage for ten years after his death.

He will sell me the car for what he has in it - about $4,000.

I think this is a perfect first car for my granddaughter who can pass it down to her brother when she goes off to college.

So what’s my problem? My granddaughter will not be 16 for another 4 years. Do I let this gem pass by or do I grab it and put it away? I’ve got the space and I think there will never again be an opportunity for me to acquire a great first car with such low miles at a very reasonable price. Plus I want my grandkids to learn to drive a standard shift. It will get driven some by me (although I have no real need for another car) but probably not more than a few thousand miles a year.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Simon Austin Avatar
You think it’s the perfect car but does she? I’d suggest you take her to see it and get her opinion. After all, her opinion is the only one that matters.

There will still be a lot of cars available in four years. If you don’t mind sitting on a $4K, 20 year old car for 4 years, go for it.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

GMATS Avatar
GMATS GERALD MATLIN
Actually it is her parents that need to approve the car. Her dad (my son) has said the car is aok so,it,is,up to me if I want to make the purchase and hold it for 4 years.

As far as the granddaughter goes if I needed her okay I would be buying her a Ferrari. If for some reason she thinks it is not okay there is a chauffeured yellow limousine that will pick her up every morning and then bring her home when school is over. Any car is better than no car when you,are 16. AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT I thought at that age as did my kids.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3754554 by Simon Austin You think it’s the perfect car but does she? I’d suggest you take her to see it and get her opinion. After all, her opinion is the only one that matters.

When my son earned Eagle Scout a few months before he turned 17, I helped him get a nice used 2004 Honda Accord coupe 5 speed. Seven years later, he his still driving it & still loves it. When his girl friend (at the time) found out there was no AUX port or Bluetooth for her phone, she told him that would have been a deal breaker.

My daughter is not happy that her 2014 Hyundai Sonata does not have a backup camera.

Point is, your granddaughter is going to be expecting newer technology.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
In four years give give her the $4000.00 and let her pick out her own car. smileys with beer

Member Services:
rficalora Avatar
rficalora ROB FICALORA
Willis, TX, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB V8 Conversion "MG MUTT"
If the choice is no car or that car, I'm sure your granddaughter will be thrilled to have it. Frankly I think we (myself included) spoil our kids/grandkids too much anyway.

That said, if you do decide its the right answer for you guys, make sure it really has been brought back. Belts/hoses/injectors etc are good but check things like fuel tank/lines, suspension bushings, brake lines, etc. Also, expect the plastic is brittle by now so things like dash, knobs, etc are likely to break/crack way faster than on a newer vehicle.

GMATS Avatar
GMATS GERALD MATLIN
Thanks guys. Food for thought. More opinions would be welcomed.

Simon Austin Avatar
I think Joe has the best idea so far. thumbs up

Kids today don’t seem to be as big a rush to get their license. Not like when we were 16. As a new driver in this fast paced world, perhaps something newer with far better safety features would be a good idea.

That being said; Gerald, if you want the car, buy it. Drive it until she’s 16, offer it to her and if she’d rather have something else, keep driving it or sell it.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Austin500GT Avatar
Mira Loma, CA, USA   USA
4k... invest it for her. No question about it. smoking smiley

scotabbott Avatar
scotabbott Scot Abbott
Pittsburgh, Pa 15216, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Bee"
Great deals on low mileage cars come along often enough so that you need not grab one so much before you might need it.
I also think it is worthwhile to engage youngsters in selecting and working on the car that becomes theirs. They are much more careful with it and consequently dont do as many stupid things while driving.

MG-Maxx Avatar
MG-Maxx Silver Member Charles Waugh
West Haven, CT, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Rumpelstiltskin"
2008 Chevrolet HHR
As mentioned cars and drivers license are not as big as they were when we were young. In principal I agree with take it or walk, but if you want to peak her interest in cars that may last a lifetime, her opinion matters.

If it is as nice as car as you say, you would want her to take care of it. She will not if its not her cup of tea.

My son just got his license at 18 but that had to do a lot with his mother. He like many kids now was not into cars. I was going to match his $1000 for a car, but there wasn't may cars in good shape or new enough to have safety devices I was comfortable with. I found a car that was owned by a mechanic's son and was in good shape. So I pitched in twice the 1k to get it.

It is a 2006 Cobalt SS with the 2.0l supercharged Ecotech. Not sure if I did the right thing with a new driver, but he loves the car and seems to take care of it. He has plans on what he wants to do to it and now is willing to help with the MG, so that I will help him work on his car.

The car is quick for the weight. I like the motor but hate the FWD. It is a 5 speed, which is good that he wanted to have a stick, but the clutch only lasted 3 weeks. Which I knew would need to be replaced soon when I bought the car, I could get it to slip when driving hard. After driving a car with this motor, I really think it will be a big swap engine once Bill Guzman gets his kit finished.

Chuck
Hamden, CT

79 MGB - Rumpelstiltskin
Just awakened after a 10 year slumber.
GM 60V6 Gen 3 - 3.5L EFI V6 T-5.

Attachments:
20180309_182725.jpg    33.8 KB
20180309_182725.jpg

BFC Avatar
BFC Ben Clark
Allegan, MI, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Kilr B"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
I wanted my kids to learn to drive a stick. The first one, I decided I liked her alive, so switched to automatic. 10 years later, she still only drives an automatic. Second child, tried a stick, decided he'd stick with an automatic while learning. 3 years later, he is driving my Mazda3 with a stick just fine. My third one is a natural. I think she'll be able and want to drive a stick from day one.

Moral: Not sure I would place a bet on a stick shift so far in advance. I feel your pain - it sounds like an amazing deal on the car, but I'd wait and see how your granddaughter is with a stick in 4 years. smiling smiley

I don't know. It's always smoked like that/made that sound/done that.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3754852 by MG-Maxx After driving a car with this motor, I really think it will be a big swap engine once Bill Guzman gets his kit finished.

Ecotec or Ecoboost? Bill was working a Ford Ecoboost kit, but has cancelled that.

GWHITE75 Avatar
GWHITE75 Gold Member Gary White
Sugar Land, TX, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "OldBlue#2"
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray "Old Red"
2006 Chevrolet Corvette "OldBlue"
I am on the “save the $4k for when she turns 16” side. Who knows, she may want to add to the amount, if she is allowed to work and when she turns 16, get a more modern car with better technology, both in safety and electronics. I also agree with not pushing a standard, due to the fact that most teenagers, us too, when we first started to drive, were more prone to accidents.

That car sounds nice, but it’s still a 1988 and things can still go wrong with it, with pieces harder to find, adding 4 more years to the equation. Nowadays, automatics perform better than standards and one can get paddle shifters for that race-type, standard feel. (a feeble attempt at a joke, more like sarcasm)

GWHITE75 Avatar
GWHITE75 Gold Member Gary White
Sugar Land, TX, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "OldBlue#2"
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray "Old Red"
2006 Chevrolet Corvette "OldBlue"
In reply to # 3754921 by V8MGBV8
In reply to # 3754852 by MG-Maxx After driving a car with this motor, I really think it will be a big swap engine once Bill Guzman gets his kit finished.

Ecotec or Ecoboost? Bill was working a Ford Ecoboost kit, but has cancelled that.

HAAAAAAA, Carl, he wants to buy her a car, not build her one! Obviously, a crossed up post and I’ve done that before.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links