Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Hah! Tricked you! Thought I had something new didn't you? (or hoped?)

But here's a shocker for you. I weighted the Buick 300 on my Fairbanks balance beam platform grain scale and it came in at 320 lbs on the nose! That was without:
Exhaust
Flywheel
Starter
Alternator
PS pump
Carb (2bbl)
Fuel pump
Pulleys
Hoses, wires or spark plugs

Just the basic engine, just as it appears in the photos below with aluminum heads and intake. But if you can't complete that engine under 400 lbs you just aren't trying.

For the sake of comparison, the Buick 215 only varies in the weight of the block which is 80 lbs lighter at 60 lbs. (The Rover is 30-50 lbs heavier than the 215 according to reports, so only 30-50 lbs lighter than the 300.)

Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0008.JPG    63.2 KB
IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG    64.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0010.JPG    58.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
dcraddock43 Gold Member Dave Craddock
Redford (Detroit), Mi., USA   USA
Jim, you are the resident ally buick/olds expert here. Question, does the olds based (heads) engine make more power,
as in the early McClaren can am cars that ran olds heads, just curious.....................
Dave

Member Services:
Preform Resources,Inc./Dave Craddock, MGB composite parts, body kits ,front and rear valances, stock and RV-8 bolt on hoods ,many spridget parts as well. composite parts that FIT! 313-533-2457 http://preformresources.com/ preres@sbcglobal.net
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Dave, the Olds heads have plus and minus features. They have an even bolt circle around each cylinder making them better at clamping the head gasket and I think this was the racing consideration. The intake ports must find their way around the extra row of bolts and so they have an extra bend in them and don't flow quite as well out of the box as the Buick heads. Before porting of course. There was also more variety of Olds heads made with the 2bb, 4bbl and turbo versions where Buick had the standard 215 and 300 heads. Of all these the 300 heads easily outflow the others but also have much larger chambers.

Just for comparison I weighed a SBC 350 I have on a stand. It had no intake or valve covers so I set SBB versions on the scale along with a few bolts for near parity and the same configuration. It is an iron head motor and the weight was 415 lbs. If you take the 320 lbs of the Buick 300 and add the 60 lbs difference with the Buick iron heads instead of aluminum you get 380 or a difference of: Ta-DAA!! 40 lbs. (What have those Chevy guys been trying to tell us?) Note this was also with an iron water pump which is a big chunk of metal. I do not have any aluminum SBC water pump, heads or intake so this is as close as I can estimate. It should be possible to cut that difference to 30 lbs, possibly less depending on how much the weight is reduced with aluminum heads.

I think this is information worth knowing. Using the old well established numbers for the 215 (318lbs) the difference, Buick 300 (+80) and the SBC (+80 +30) and then convert to the original 1800 as the baseline we have:

1800 (350 lb)
215 (-32 lb)
300 (+48 lb)
SBC (+78 lb)

And as we now know the car will easily accommodate an extra hundred pounds or so on the front end.

Jim

GWHITE75 Avatar
GWHITE75 Gold Member Gary White
Sugar Land, TX, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "OldBlue#2"
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray "Old Red"
2006 Chevrolet Corvette "OldBlue"
Hmmmmmm, so my little Buick 3.8l should nestle somewhere in there nicely, but I’m now wondering where the 4.3l Chevy would be? Roughly, taking the 415lbs, divide by 8, times 6, would put it in the neighborhood of 311?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RJP Randy Pajer
Loganville, GA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB MkIV "Little Blue B"
4.3L V6 weighs in the 375-400 lb range, just a bit more than a 3800 S2. That's from what I can find on google. Be nice if it was 311 lbs.

Interesting to see the weights of different engines in comparison to the B engine. That little 4-banger is heavier than it looks.

GWHITE75 Avatar
GWHITE75 Gold Member Gary White
Sugar Land, TX, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "OldBlue#2"
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray "Old Red"
2006 Chevrolet Corvette "OldBlue"
In reply to # 3735979 by RJP 4.3L V6 weighs in the 375-400 lb range, just a bit more than a 3800 S2. That's from what I can find on google. Be nice if it was 311 lbs.

Interesting to see the weights of different engines in comparison to the B engine. That little 4-banger is heavier than it looks.

From Dan Masters:

That's complete, as pulled from the car after draining all fluids - transmission, clutch, flywheel, starter, alternator, intake, exhaust manifold, etc.

The actual weight was 467.

Years ago, a gentleman named Dan Masters weighed a MGB engine/transmission (see response above) and it all weighed 467 lbs. In the same post, he estimated a non-OD tranny to weigh about 90lb. I find it surprising that manufactures don’t freely give engine weights in their specifications, but maybe I just don’t google right. I know there are old compiled lists of weights, but it would be nice to have lists of the newer engines. Thanks Jim for weighing the Buick 300 and SBC.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3736042 by GWHITE75
Years ago, a gentleman named Dan Masters weighed a MGB engine/transmission

Yep. Saw Dan & his beautiful GT this past Saturday at the Springtime in the Smokies British & Euro car show in Townsend, TN.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/DanMasters.htm

slightly modified Avatar
slightly modified Silver Member Chuck Royer
Hayward, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "SLIGHTLY MODIFIED"
As Chevy Guy, Thanks Jim, good info.------------------------------------------Chuck

Denis Avatar
Denis Denis Hill
Bearii, Nth Victoria, Australia   AUS
Jim the Rover may be a bit heavier than the 215 but I feel not that much. When I took my 3.9 into the re conditioners to have new cam bearings and the liners tested I carried the block in and I'm old and not very big. The cam was in the block but not the crank. I am pulling a spare down at the moment so I can check. What needs to be in the block to be accurate, main caps, timing case ?? Denis

68 B roadster, Daffodil yellow, supercharger, Burgess SC head, SC cam, Mikuni HSR 48 carburetor and engine built for supercharging.

73 BGT V8 conversion starting with a bare shell. Built the engine "3.9L Rover" early in 2016 with high comp pistons and a few other nice bits, plus a T5 ford trans. Started on the body late 2016 and complete early 2018 Did the work myself, mechanical, body. paint etc.
Finished and going well, great to drive and quick. Now has a nice 3.07 LSD.

ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
I've had this photo posted before - Olds/T5 and trim weighed in at 426lb

Attachments:
Olds weigh-in at 426lb.jpg    51.5 KB
Olds weigh-in at 426lb.jpg

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3737089 by Denis Jim the Rover may be a bit heavier than the 215 but I feel not that much. When I took my 3.9 into the re conditioners to have new cam bearings and the liners tested I carried the block in and I'm old and not very big. The cam was in the block but not the crank. I am pulling a spare down at the moment so I can check. What needs to be in the block to be accurate, main caps, timing case ?? Denis

I agree, Denis. Maybe 10 lbs or so. Just the weight of the bare block with main caps would be good.

Of course, the Buick 215 was lighter than the Olds 215 that had 8 more head bolts & steel rocker arms. winking smiley

Jim Blackwood Avatar
I'll be glad to get that question answered finally. Currently we know the following block weights:

Buick
215 60 lbs
300 140 lbs
340 142 lbs

Since I now have a 300 and a 340 bare block I should be able to verify those weights but I no longer have any 215s.

Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster