When is Power Output...Enough?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jim Stabe Avatar
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Not quite where you are with power/weight but I agree that is tons of fun. It's a good thing that nobody had this kind of power when I was a teenager or a lot of us wouldn't be here talking about it.

Jim

"If you want me to agree with you then we would both be wrong"

'66 MGB widened 11" with supercharged LT1 Chevy and 6 speed, C4 Corvette suspension
Pictures here Part 1 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Continued in Part 2 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Continued in Part 3 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,33108
Continued in Part 4 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,40751
Continued in Part 5 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,48698,48698#msg-48698
Continued in Part 6 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,61672

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
slightly modified Avatar
slightly modified Silver Member Chuck Royer
Hayward, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "SLIGHTLY MODIFIED"
Jim S., I think you have much more useable power (torque) then I do, in the couple thousand miles I have on this engine I doubt if I have a minute of foot to the floor action, the rush of my my engine a part throttle is more then enough to raise my heart rate though, In high school had a low 12 second BBC Corvette, was lucky not to get in more trouble then I did, don't think it was near as crazy as my "B",the Corvette did not have the sensation of speed the "B" does.---------------------Chuck.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
Some day you may consider swapping in a milder cam for driveability, Chuck.

My Camaro hasn't been on the road in quite a while. When it was, I would be out cruising around, enjoying that big Chevy Heartbeat of America ( .560" solid lift cam) & after a couple of hours I was ready to park it & drive something else. It would wear you out. Lot to be said for street driveability.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
In reply to # 3737682 by scotabbott
Anything more than 1 hp/10# is overpowered.

You won't find many here that would agree with that statement, Scot.

The fun is just getting good around 12:1 - 10:1 IMO, overpowered "might" be 7:1 or lower. My Honda 919 was just over 6:1 with me on it. Not overpowered, but way fun!

Cool power to weight chart (okay, technically weight/power):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xbhcX85KbUWyWx1h9OJeMTBmPaOIw5U6suBhLxN5jRk/pub?single=true&gid=0&output=html

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
I can't disagree too much with Scott. That power to weight ratio would put the MGB a tad better than an XKE. Now I know an XKE was considered to be very fast for the day, but today it can be bettered by an econobox, so it depends on what ruler you are using...

A note on the guys that say that their MG shudders and shakes the faster they go. They are old cars and a significant part of that vibration (which leads to a feeling if driver unrest) is due simply to things being loose that originally were not - they vibrate and make noise at speed.

Second, most street cars are still using steel or wire wheels. Both of these, on MG at least, move far more than you would think. I started racing with stock steel wheels (quickly shifting to stronger and wider TR-6 steel wheels). At our local track even my stock MGA was doing just over 100 mph into the braking markers at the end of the straight, and indeed there was significant 'dancing' about, a sort of shuddering under very hard braking. After I tore the centre out of one of the TR rims at a race, I decided that I needed some stronger wheels and sourced some magnesium American Racing mags. The first time back at my home track, braking into the same hairpin turn, it was like someone had turned the soundtrack off. The car went in dead straight with no vibration, and in fact I tried going in with my hands loosely around the steering wheel - basically there if needed but exerting no force on the wheel, and the car braked from about 105 mph down to around 30 mph dead straight without deviating.

All you V8 types converted to mags long ago and are probably wondering what I am talking about, but on a stock car it is a big deal. The stock wheels are crap when it comes to high speeds and racing cornering forces and make the cars seem much more feeble than they are.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3737875 by bills ....... The stock wheels are crap when it comes to high speeds and racing cornering forces and make the cars seem much more feeble than they are......

Amen to that. Especially wire wheels.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports - Specialty parts for select British Automobiles
bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
Yeah - anything but 72 spoke wires are a waste of time and even they are just equivalent to a stock steel wheel.

North Vancouver BC

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
In reply to # 3737875 by bills After I tore the centre out of one of the TR rims at a race...

Watched that happen at a Bomber class race many years ago at the local round track. Stock wheels don't cut it for racing.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Right on Bill.

You guys who are on the fence or haven't tried it? You just heard the Word.

Jim

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
In reply to # 3738430 by V8MGBV8
In reply to # 3737875 by bills After I tore the centre out of one of the TR rims at a race...

Watched that happen at a Bomber class race many years ago at the local round track. Stock wheels don't cut it for racing.

The stock MGA rims, particularly the first design on the 16500 are notoriously easily bent, but the Triumph 5.5" from the TR6 are a common upgrade for street and are undeniably much stronger than the MG rims. Unfortunately, I got to be the one to confirm that they still weren't quite strong enough for racing. I swore I'd never use anything but alloy thereafter, but when I decided to go vintage only, I figured I'd try the stock Twin Cam rims and somewhat to my surprise they have stood up very well. I have to believe that they are structurally superior to the pushrod rims too, as they do not exhibit any twitchiness under very hard braking.

Oddly enough, in one sense the wire wheels re better as they flex a little bit by nature and do not work harden and fracture like a steel wheel, but they are also not a good solution to high power use - Cobras only used them through the 260/289 early cars and other than the big Astons, no one else used them much for racing once tires got stockier. My Lambo had identical rudge splines but used a magnesium solid wheel instead. although the Italian love of glitz did produce a few cars of my model that were delivered with Borrani wires.

North Vancouver BC

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster