AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

billgknapp Avatar
billgknapp Silver Member Bill Knapp
Rochester, MI, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Nigel"
I just wanted to give an update on my cowl induction hood intake progress. (Michigan weather slowed that down till now.) I had bought a cowl induction RV8 hood from Preform Resources and got it painted last year. I've recently turned my attention to fitting a cold air induction set up to pull cowl-inducted air. First off, I bought an aluminum air pan on eBay. It was too wide for my little engine compartment, so I trimmed wedge-shaped pieces out of each side on the bottom. Then I made a mockup out of sheet steel I got at home Depot, and attached sides made of corrugated cardboard, with duck tape. In the cardboard I stuck toothpicks at regular intervals. When I mounted this little set-up, the hood pressed in the toothpicks to the correct height and showed me the proper height that the real sides needed to be trimmed to.

I trimmed the real air pan accordingly, taking a little off at a time. I then dropped it off at a local TIG welding shop for him to tighten up the width of the pan and weld it back together. I should get it back this week and am considering having it ceramic coated to keep out the engine compartment heat. Then I'll play around with air cleaners and find the best fit and flow. I can't use a drop base any more, due to the pan. But I have been able to fit a flat base air cleaner in. When the set up is all done I'll make test drives and see if this setup really improves performance...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 10:58 AM by billgknapp.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
panplan2.jpg    49.2 KB
panplan2.jpg

panplan1.jpg    45 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
pancut.jpg    51.6 KB
panfit1.jpg    55.1 KB
panfit4.jpg    49.1 KB
panbot.jpg    38.6 KB
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Bill, Use some rubber foam weatherstrip at the top.

billgknapp Avatar
Rochester, MI, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Nigel"
Hey Jim,

I just ordered some last night on-line. The guy at O'Reilly's had no idea what I was asking about. Could be my poor communication skills but at times like that I do realize they aren't a speed shop.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ex-tyke Avatar
ex-tyke Graham Creswick
Chatham, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 MG MGB
Quote: Use some rubber foam weatherstrip at the top
I just used the std MGB cowl seal....(Moss 282-815)

Attachments:
Cowl induction hood 3.jpg    48.3 KB
Cowl induction hood 3.jpg

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Graham, That looks like a perfect solution!

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
With that pan, why is it that you need the air cleaner base?

Jim

billgknapp Avatar
Rochester, MI, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Nigel"
Good question about the need for the air cleaner base Jim. I might not need it. I was wondering if the airflow might be better with it flowing downward because of the base. Your thoughts?

GWHITE75 Avatar
GWHITE75 Gold Member Gary White
Sugar Land, TX, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "OldBlue#2"
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray "Old Red"
2006 Chevrolet Corvette "OldBlue"
Very nice work on your induction and I’ll be faced with similar needs when I change my engine and hood.

You might find the link below interesting, regarding filters and air flow. That being said, even the worst they tested could still support a 300hp engine. The one thing that’s deemed important (for their testing on a 700hp engine) is the direction of the flow heading straight down into the carb, rather than from the side. Regardless, what you are doing by bringing in cooler air with your current system should improve performance a tad bit.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Thanks for posting that Gary.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
I have seen that. It also supports the value of the K&N Stubstack. Turning the air into the carb is important That us why I would suggest keeping the air cleaner base or add a Stubstack.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
But Carl, didn't they get better results with the flat base?

billgknapp Avatar
Rochester, MI, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Nigel"
They got better results with the non-drop (flat) base, but they didn’t test with no base.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
So in other words, kinda inconclusive.

billgknapp Avatar
Rochester, MI, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Nigel"
Seemed like they concluded that a setup that directed the air downward was best, but it’s hard to see how they drew that conclusion because they didn’t simulate airflow at speed. The test didn’t have any air stream, just sucking in air from the intake.

GWHITE75 Avatar
GWHITE75 Gold Member Gary White
Sugar Land, TX, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "OldBlue#2"
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray "Old Red"
2006 Chevrolet Corvette "OldBlue"
In reply to # 3722033 by billgknapp Seemed like they concluded that a setup that directed the air downward was best, but it’s hard to see how they drew that conclusion because they didn’t simulate airflow at speed. The test didn’t have any air stream, just sucking in air from the intake.

I agree with the statement above, but the main conclusion I took from it, is that all the filter configurations would support at least a 300 hp engine, with the better configurations supporting more. That being said, I’d probably still look for a top K&N filter plate for my base, shortest path for the air to travel, but most likely minimal improvement. They look good though.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster