Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

stone4140 Daniel Schuler
Caledonia, NY, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
I found a 91 Camaro parts car on Craigslist with a 3.1. Unfortunately it has an automatic transmission, so I’m only looking at buying the engine. The wire harness was already sold. What else should I make sure I get out of the car? My goal is to put it in my 78 B next winter. What wire harness should I be looking to buy? It is a 100k motor and I’m picking it up for a $100. Is the 3.1 a good fit? I’ve heard the 3.4 is more “plug and play”.

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
3.1 basic engine is identical except smaller bore. I built one and 3.4 crate the same. Both were carbed though.

eks3703 Silver Member E K Starzinger
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Chimera"
1974 MG MGB "The Mirage"
1974 MG MGB GT
The engine is all that's really useful for you in the car. Being old skool, i went carburetted on mine so lack of wiring harness didn't hurt me.

Erich

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Get a 3.4 would be my advice.
Many having 2.8 and 3.1s regret not doing otherwise and eventiually swap out.
What compression on the 3.1?

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
The 3.1 I built had a .040 overbore so was probably a 3.2. With 260 cam, headers, 1.6 rockers and sideways Holley 2 barrel in 85 Jeep Cherokee. Felt about the same as identical build of 3.4 in my s10. I agree I'd pass on a 2.8. About the same time they switched to internal balance they strengthened the crank and rods and improved the oiling.

stone4140 Daniel Schuler
Caledonia, NY, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
I have not even been looking for a 2.8. I have stuck with searching for a 3.1 or 3.4. I have not performed a compression check on the 3.1 yet. If the engine has been pulled from the car, how would I go about doing a compression check? I have the tools, just never done it on a engine out of a car. Going with a carb is definitely something I am considering. If the motor has good compression is the 3.1 a good option or should I hold out for a 3.4? What carb are people using on these GM V6's?

Thanks

BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
Although the 2.8 and 3.1L can be used, the MPFI manifolds are taller on those than the 3.4L SFI, the engine still uses a distributor but is now computer controlled (half way between DIS and HEI- reliable but neither hot nor cold- nothing great about it) and the pulley setup is a list more trouble to use. Finding a 3.4L on car-part.com under the search of a 1994 Camaro 3.4 V6 will render quite a few engines reasonably priced within a decent distance for most in the USA. The better torque of the 3.4L and other new technologies over the 3.1L make the 3.4L the engine of choice for me. We considered years ago taking on wiring for the 2.8/3.1L and could still do it but in the end, it would cost slightly more for those conversions over the 3.4L for less power. I feel that would be doing a disservice- even though we could have- we had everything and I had time and desire to do it. I have been criticised for this but my thought was to Save everyone else money and hassle by not encouraging this.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
Richardtherodder Richard Mounce
BC, Canada   CAN
My 91 3.1L came distributorless, but it was also FWD, I am curious if that makes a difference. Also if it does, why would the factory go that route.

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3696282 by Richardtherodder My 91 3.1L came distributorless, but it was also FWD, I am curious if that makes a difference. Also if it does, why would the factory go that route.

The DIS ignition gives the ECM the ability to control all the engine variables, essentially retuning advance many times a second, plus you have eliminated an assembly with a whole bunch of parts, any of which can go wrong and require fixing. And the computer can maximize advance to get you a bit more power, depending on the gas you are running.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

BC, Canada   CAN
What I meant was why make some engines with distributors, and some without. Personally I prefer the DIS version too, because the advance curve does not have a mechanical limitation. It also gets rid of the potential for shaft wobble, in the distributor.

Ichi Avatar
Ichi Scott Martin
Kenora, ON, Canada   CAN
Why some engines with a distributor and some without? Probably because they were phasing the distributor out but still hadn't gotten rid of them completely smiling smiley Just my opinion but dizzies and carbs are just not as good as DIS FI for any reason.
Scott

BC, Canada   CAN
Yeah but factories like to make everything the same to save money. Like wiring harnesses. They use the same harness with every car. When I did the wiring in my Baracuda, I threw away a shopping bag of wires, that were not doing anything. Actually some of them were, like seat belt buzzers, and stuff like that. But there was still alot that were not attached to anything.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster