Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
In reply to # 3677733 by Rdmg So, now you’re converting three?

No. My original white 77 shell was stalled because there is no money in the kitty to do paint and body work. I was going to fit early front fenders and do a chrome bumper conversion, delete the side lamps and use early tail lamps.

This 77 roller just dropped into my lap. The paint and body are all done, which is a huge hurdle overcome. I have all the parts to complete the build, so it is just a question of budgeting labor around home projects.

The rubber bumpers and side markers aren't my preference, but I'll live with them a while. Once the car is completed and on the road, it's not that much work to change them and do a basic re-spray. It will be interesting to see how the painted bumpers hold up.

The white 77 shell is now surplus, so if anyone is interested in a solid, mostly rust free California shell let me know.
The blue 73 will go on a back burner for a full restoration at some point. It may end up with a Miata drivetrain, as I have a spare.

At some point, I'll follow Lloyd Faust's procedures for rubber bumper lightening and lowering the suspension on both this car and my LE.

Kelvin.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Richardtherodder Richard Mounce
BC, Canada   CAN
As an aside, have you ever travelled around your respective neighborhoods and seen all the cars sitting in peoples yards rotting away. I often wonder how many of them are wasting away, because the owners are waiting for the funds to make it a show car, right out of the box. I am sure that is not the only reason, but it is the reason that people give. It costs me about 40 dollars and an afternoon, to paint my car. I do all the work myself, and if it is not perfect, it does not matte, because I did not pay anyone.

ahdriver Mark Smith
Walled Lake, MI, USA   USA
Gentlemen,

Great comments and thoughts! I've had a '67 GT shell sitting in storage for too long and want to do a V8 swap. Since the GT is a shell, I'll raise the question...should/could I replace the firewall? Realizing that would be of great benefit for a V8 swap.
I'm not familiar with the steering rack upgrade, but I'm certainly going to look into it! Thanks for the tip!
Any and all of your thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
In reply to # 3679867 by ahdriver Gentlemen,

Great comments and thoughts! I've had a '67 GT shell sitting in storage for too long and want to do a V8 swap. Since the GT is a shell, I'll raise the question...should/could I replace the firewall?
Mark

Mark.
The firewall is not replaced, just modified to give clearance to the V8 heads. There are a number of ways to do this, the surgery is not that involved. If you take a look at a 75 onward engine compartment you can see how the factory did it.
There is a lot of information in print and on the internet. With 1968 - 74 cars, it is easiest to mimic the later cars and use the late, short steering column. Your early car should be a bit easier to work with as the column mountings are a lot simpler.

Kelvin.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
People go about it different ways. Some copy the RB cars and that's totally valid. I prefer to set the selected engine in place and mark the areas that need modified. There are only two major concerns: Head clearance on the passenger's side (usually 1/2" or so) and steering clearance on the other and there are at least a half dozen different ways to deal with that. At the front and at the header exits it is just a matter of judicious trimming. None of this rises anywhere even remotely close to requiring firewall replacement. The most work is in the steering clearance and that depends entirely on the engine used and the engine position. There really is no easy answer here but there are right and wrong ways to do it. The challenge is to get adequate clearance around the steering shaft and universal while still putting the engine in the optimal location and avoiding additional universals in the steering.

Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster