Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
Mossy Head, FL, USA   USA
Does anyone know where to find a flywheel for a 1980-87 GM 2.8l engine? Would be flywheel with GM Part #14088277 which carries the casting number 14033082.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
flywheel2.jpg    50.1 KB
flywheel2.jpg

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Anthony, Any auto parts store can get it. Check Rockauto or Google online for 83-85 Chevy S10 flywheel.

MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
Tried Rockauto, Partsgeek, Summit, O'riellys, Advance, Autozone...........etc. What they are saying fits is actually for the internal balance engine made after 1987. All the GM parts sources say it is no longer available.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Anthony, Try car-part.com. Nationwide wrecking yard locater.

MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
I am trying them. Unfortunately too many people don't know the difference between a flywheel and a flexplate. Uggh!

MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
Still looking. I guess anyone that has one won't let go of it. All the earlier cars that had them probably have met the "Crusher" by now. I have checked out so many that either ended up being the internal balance or what the had was actually a flexplate. Never seemed to have this confusion about flexplates and flywheels back when I was a young "hot rodder". It's a changing world for sure.-haha

1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
BMC Avatar
BMC Gold Member Brian Mc Cullough
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
I have one but it was promised to someone else. I will see if it is still needed and if not...

Also, what is the ORIGINAL application for the engine? What are you using behind it now? This is very important.

-BMC.

Member Services:
Minnesota's only Fully Dedicated British Classic only shop providing Professional Restoration & Services & Specialty Products including- proper L.E.D. tail lights, Wiring looms and Engine and five speed Conversion Kits
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Summit Racing has an add on weight, but you would have to know the weight.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-560222

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-04 01:23 AM by 260mgb.

MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
Bill Guzman, that is the wrong one. If you look under specs, it does not have the external balance weight. This is what I have been running into. But, just a few minutes ago I found the correct one at a junkyard up north. It is now on the way to my house. Here is a picture showing the external balance weight.

Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg    47.9 KB
s-l1600.jpg

MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
This one was behind a 1985 2.8l engine. They changed from external to internal balance on the 2.8l engines in 1987. This sure was a tough one to track down. Thanks for all the input, guys.

Richardtherodder Richard Mounce
BC, Canada   CAN
Could one not just get an internal balanced flywheel, and get it rebalanced. I am just wondering if there is a reason, it would not work.

MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
In reply to # 3696287 by Richardtherodder Could one not just get an internal balanced flywheel, and get it rebalanced. I am just wondering if there is a reason, it would not work.

Yes, you sure could do that and it would work fine. It's always nice to find the correct part though. The one I found cost me $50. Getting one modified to fit would cost much more I am sure. But, I was thinking about going that route until I finally stumbled across this one on Ebay.

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3696287 by Richardtherodder Could one not just get an internal balanced flywheel, and get it rebalanced. I am just wondering if there is a reason, it would not work.

What's all the fuss about? That's exactly what to do and a simple machining operation. With the cast in weight removed and the flywheel neutral balanced it is functionally identical to the 88 and after internally balanced wheel. And Anthony, you'd wind up with a flywheel that was balanced to a finer tolerance than the factory ever did for those wheels, so it is actually a better, if possibly slightly more costly way to go..

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 12:24 PM by bills.

MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
In reply to # 3696534 by bills

What's all the fuss about? That's exactly what to do and a simple machining operation. With the cast in weight removed and the flywheel neutral balanced it is functionally identical to the 88 and after internally balanced wheel. And Anthony, you'd wind up with a flywheel that was balanced to a finer tolerance than the factory ever did for those wheels, so it is actually a better, if possibly slightly more costly way to go..

Well, this one with the weight on obviously worked just fine for many years. I think I will just leave the weight on it. Do you re-balance every flywheel you use?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster