Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mgbgts Avatar
mgbgts Rob Meier
Johnstown Ohio, USA   USA
Just thought I would start a build thread on my project that's FINALLY getting started after almost 20 yrs of wanting to do it and thinking about it.
The basic Idea is my vision of the MGC-GTS, influenced by the old IMSA GT cars with some RV-8 blended in

Back in 1998-99 when I first dreamt it up I was going to convert the Yellow car in my profile (I was re-building that car at the time) but I like that one how it is now, and want to keep driving it while building my dream, so 2 cars intended for the project later and about 7 yrs after getting the second car it is FINALLY in the shop and stripped down. For those who do not know me, I run a shop repairing and restoring these wonderful old LBC's. I could never afford to give up the space for my car as I've always had so many customer cars waiting to get in and space is at a premium because my shop is a bit on the small side for this kind of business, but I decided to just do it as that's the only way it will ever happen. Besides the car has been sitting outside in the gravel in Ohio weather which does bad things to an MG, mine being no exception confused smiley.

Here's what I'm starting with

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 09:29 PM by mgbgts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
V8pic1.jpg    80.2 KB
V8pic1.jpg

mgbgts Avatar
mgbgts Rob Meier
The moment when it went into the shop (after all those years I HAD to take a pic)
Its a little rough, but this car has some significance for me. It's the same year I was born (1971), and I got it from a customer/ very good friend that wanted to be a part of this project but passed away about 7 yrs ago. So the build, in part is being done in his memory

Attachments:
LS1mgbgtsintoshop.jpg    78.2 KB
LS1mgbgtsintoshop.jpg

mgbgts Avatar
mgbgts Rob Meier
The old engine out, and test fitting the LS-1 just to see what I was really in for. I have my ideas about what I want to cut and some mods to the car to do the swap a bit differently than those I've seen so far, and I wanted to see if my vision was going to work or not. BTW I chose the project name because of all the slicing and dicing that is planned for this thing devil smiley The engine I'm using Is from a 2002 Trans-Am with a 6-speed and 30 something thousand miles on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 09:52 PM by mgbgts.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
v8pic2.jpg    49.1 KB
v8pic2.jpg

v8pic3.jpg    47.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
mgbgts Avatar
mgbgts Rob Meier
Well, obviously a little cutting will be required for it to sit far enough down in the car to work

Attachments:
v8pic6.jpg    48.4 KB
v8pic6.jpg

MGST Avatar
MGST Andrew Metford
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Nice start. I'm always keen to see and LS swap, not many out there / documented. Keep up the great work and please keep posting progress here.

1973 MG BGT - Harvest Gold / Black interior

1974 MG BGT - Bracken / Autumn Leaf interior - http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,11702

rficalora Avatar
rficalora Rob rficalora
Cypress, TX, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB V8 Conversion "MG MUTT"
Very cool project. The BritishV8 meet is in Dayton OH - about an hour and a half from you. It's in July; you should plan to join (doesnt matter if your car is done or not).

slightly modified Avatar
slightly modified Silver Member Chuck Royer
Hayward, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB "SLIGHTLY MODIFIED"
Good luck with your project, once on the road I find my V8MGB to be very rewarding to drive. Mine a little different then most--custom frame, suspension, not much "B" left under the body. You can click my picture to go to my journal to see most of my build, pretty much ends about a year ago, just been driving it a lot since then. I think what I like about modified MGBs is the many different ways they get done, again Good Luck---------------Chuck

billymgb1000 Avatar
billymgb1000 Silver Member william gaulin
harrisville, harrisville RI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Sweet Thing"
Awesome Rob I will be watching this one. mine is a 4.8 with the GM hot cam and carbed. some day a 6.0 will be going in all the hard work is done already. I'm sure you know about www.britishv8.org my build is on the how it was done section and you should also put your build there. everyone will love it good luck Rob.
Bill G

Attachments:
100_2141.JPG    57.5 KB
100_2141.JPG

mgbgts Avatar
mgbgts Rob Meier
After trimming the firewall back to approximately where a RB firewall sits, putting it in and taking it out several times clearancing around the bell housing area, hacking part of the front cross member out (I don't plan on using it anyway) and pushing the steering rack forward and out of the way for the test fit, it fits!
where it's sitting in this pic, the shifter is a about centered in the stock shifter hole and the bonnet goes on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 08:17 AM by mgbgts.

Attachments:
v8pic10.jpg    46.4 KB
v8pic10.jpg

v8pic11.jpg    43.2 KB
slightly modified Avatar
Hayward, CA, USA   USA
PROGRESS !

mgbgts Avatar
mgbgts Rob Meier
In reply to # 3638259 by rficalora Very cool project. The BritishV8 meet is in Dayton OH - about an hour and a half from you. It's in July; you should plan to join (doesnt matter if your car is done or not).

I haven't looked yet to see when/where the V8 meet was going to be this year. There is no way this one will be done by then, but I will try to be there since its so close to me.

mgbgts Avatar
mgbgts Rob Meier
Of course with the engine sitting there, there is no room for headers. I anticipated that though, and have plans to massage the inner fender wells and front frame rails to do long tubes inside the rails rather than through the fender well headers. I also plan on moving the rails out some. Between widening the shell a little, and the flares I'm planning, I'm expecting the car will end up about 9" wider than stock.

Attachments:
IMG_0034.JPG    45.1 KB
IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG    47.8 KB
slightly modified Avatar
Hayward, CA, USA   USA
My "B" has custom 2X3 framerails and tubular A-arms--much stronger and more room---just sayin'--if doing all that work why keep the thin, cheap MGB stuff-was going to use "B" stuff till cut some and found out how thin and weak it was (made for 100hp)

mgbgts Avatar
mgbgts Rob Meier
I'm not to worried about strength as These shells are actually much stronger than most give them credit for being (as long as they are not rusty) especially as a GT, but I will address any shortcomings as I go, plus I'm planning a full cage grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 09:36 AM by mgbgts.

mgbgts Avatar
mgbgts Rob Meier
I picked up a parts car, it's a 95' 325i. It will be donating its rear suspension, front spindles, and brakes to the project

Attachments:
IMG_0159.JPG    64.3 KB
IMG_0159.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster