AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Gary,
Have you tried mounting the alternator on the engine yet?

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports - Specialty parts for select British Automobiles
Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
No Jack I haven't, my engine didn't come with an alternator. It really wouldn't matter because there is no possible way it would fit in the stock location.
My current plan is to make a bracket, (brackets) to mount a smaller alternator on the right side of the engine. The engine has a double serpentine pulley,
normally the forward one is used for the air conditioner, I'm thinking use it to run an alternator.
To keep the stock serpentine belt geometry intact I was going to somehow fit a grooved idler pulley in place of the stock alternator, there's enough room for something small that shouldn't interfere with the steering shaft or frame, time will tell.
Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Turbocharger update,
I fabricated a relocation bracket for the waste gate actuator using a piece of 1/8" x 1 1/4 angle iron, it came out really great, had to trim a couple bosses on the compressor case to make it all fit.
After notching the frame and a little massaging of the upper rail there is plenty of room for the housing.
I don't have a tig welder so I'll have to farm out welding the compressor inlet tube back on the housing, after that I'm calling the turbocharger fitment issue done.

There won't be much done this weekend with hurricane Irma coming my way but next step is motor mounts, for some reason Ford placed the motor mount bracket bosses in different locations on the block, their not symmetrical, left to right.
Should be interesting,
Gary

Attachments:
P1020806.JPG    16.7 KB
P1020806.JPG

P1020807.JPG    18.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1020809.JPG    51.3 KB
P1020810.JPG    41.7 KB
1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
You are doing great.

As I mention before the down pipe is an issue, but it can be overcome by cutting into the firewall and new sheet metal welded.

As for the turbo, the engine can be tilted to clear, does not affect anything.
The big issue, believe or not, is the throttle pedal, cutting is necessary.

I have my doubts for a kit,, this swap is not for everyone. There are other minor issues. One is the coolant lines for the turbo plus the oil lines. That issue can be overcome by making new lines, but it is labor to get them right.

Gary you are doing a great job. thumbs up

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Hey Bill,
Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate input from everyone, helps keep the project going forward. I tried tilting the engine for turbo clearance but the intake came in contact with the steering shaft and would have needed to be tilted even further to work.
You are right, this swap takes a lot of custom work and creative "backyard" engineering. Every step of the way I've thought, "how could this be incorporated into a kit?"
Short answer is it can't, lots of variables, but I like many others love the challenge.
The pedal assembly is going to be a tight fit sharing the same space with the intake firewall cutout and steering column, I'll figure something out, it's on backorder till mid October.
Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
Gary, I hope everything is ok with IRMA.

Did you purchase the kit to convert the engine to RWD? The intake that comes in the kit is a bit thinner and the intake is at front.

The new pan has to be drill and tap to fit the wintage tray from the original pan. The kit comes with a shorter water outlet in the rear and comes with the hoses. Not bad for $260 Other small mods.

You sure got a handle on the project. thumbs up

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Thanks Bill,
It's still the calm before the storm, looks to be headed directly our way, ugh!thumbs down

Yes, I got the North-South Orientation Kit from Capaldi Racing. If you look over my pics you can see how much firewall had to be trimmed above the steering column with the new intake installed, it's close.
I was surprised the new pan didn't come with a baffle as shown in Ford Performance catalog picture, I questioned them on their support chat line, engineers' response was "none needed, install without one"
I didn't agree, installed the original pan's baffle, 3 holes drilled and tapped, easy.

If you look at the new water outlet at the rear you can see how much firewall shelf had to be removed for the 5/8" hose connection, as it is I'll still have to use a molded 90 degree hose to clear.
Gary

2putt Avatar
2putt Darrell Levine
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada   CAN
1975 MG MGB "Red Rocket"
1978 MG MGB
Bill,....maybe a revisit to a series 2 or 3 GM 3800 kit?

Just finished 2 trips with my 02 Grand Prix,......35mpg imperial gallon,...at 70mph.

So many still around and turning up anytime in junkyards.

rsdgeorge rocky g
Olive Branch, MS, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
Probably one of the best, if not the best GM engine made. Had a 2002 Impala with the 3.8 and when evacuating for Katrina kept the speed down to 55 to conserve gas, trip computer said 46mpg.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
I've often wondered why more of the series III haven't been done. Even available with factory supercharger that fits under the hood.

Jim

Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Because it's not a Ford motorsmiling bouncing smiley

Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Long overdue update,
Hi all, Hurricane Irma slowed me down a bit for a couple weeks but I'm back on track.
Not a lot of visual progress, I've been working on the motor mount fabrication. I'll be using biscuit style mounts and rectangular tube to join the frame to the motor.
Pictures are the motor plates and I added 13 gauge reinforcement metal to the frame rails, I just wasn't comfortable welding the tube to the existing frame rails.
The little panhandle ears on the motor plates are for anticipating brackets needed for the alternator and idler pulley.
Gary

Attachments:
P1020853.JPG    46.7 KB
P1020853.JPG

P1020854.JPG    49.7 KB
P1020855.JPG    59 KB
P1020856.JPG    54.9 KB
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Now's the perfect time to move the steering shaft and install electric power steering from an envoy etc.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Big update,
Motor mounts and transmission mount are completed.
The engine mounts were pretty straight forward but the transmission mount required some imagination. Because the transmission mount boss is located so low and on an 8 degree angle I had to come up with a bracket that would fit the mount
and be straight & level with the crossmember. Using the original MGB crossmember I lowered the fixed angle mounts and fabricated a transmission plate with different angles on each side to match the crossmember rubber isolators, in addition, the crossmember had to be moved back about 1 1/2 inches and lowered 1 inch for clearance above the trans. I used rectangular box tubing for that, it all worked, a few pictures will explain it a bit more.
Gary

Attachments:
P1020912.JPG    45.2 KB
P1020912.JPG

P1020914.JPG    58.9 KB
P1020929.JPG    48.7 KB
P1020930.JPG    33 KB
Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Motor mount pictures, straight forward but lots of cutting, grinding and welding!

Attachments:
P1020918.JPG    51.8 KB
P1020918.JPG

P1020919.JPG    49 KB
P1020922.JPG    48.3 KB
P1020928.JPG    56.1 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster