Ecotec Midget build

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
I used the Allen head type but it would only go in 2/3rds of the way. I have plenty of time so I'll wait for the flange to get here and see how that works . I was even thinking if just a Remflex gasket would work .
UPDATE
Turns out you can drill pretty deep and tap it enough to get it flush .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-07 01:25 PM by nonracer.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2994.JPG    43.8 KB
IMG_2994.JPG

AZ, USA   USA
I'm about 99% sure I'm using the manifold as long as the plugs in the air ports work . I fabricating a flange for the exhaust with a 3/8" plate , drilled all the holes and cut a receiver groove for the gasket . Should work out just fine , I'm going with a 2" pipe .

Attachments:
IMG_2996.JPG    42.4 KB
IMG_2996.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG    37.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_3001.JPG    44.2 KB
IMG_3002.JPG    52.9 KB
IMG_3003.JPG    48.7 KB
AZ, USA   USA
With the manifold fitting the way it does it frees up the space where the header collector was going to be so I can make a side motor mount and get rid of the front one . I also can use the OE thermostat housing which makes things a lot easier with plumbing, I had no plans for a heater but since the heater hoses come out of the thermostat housing I might fit a heater under the dash .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AZ, USA   USA
Nothing new , no time for my projects . Transmission tunnel not any further along but this is inspiring!

Attachments:
IMG_3165.JPG    50.9 KB
IMG_3165.JPG

AZ, USA   USA
I finally got back to work on the car , I got the header Friday and modified the lower portion to fit . I originally bought a manifold from a Chevy Equinox which fit but I didn't like the look plus there were some issues with covering some small holes next to the exhaust port , thanks to Kyle who is doing essentially the same swap I was able to get the header and fit it . Still deciding on a few things but I should be able to start fabricating the new footwells , firewall and trans tunnel .

Attachments:
IMG_4705.JPG    51.1 KB
IMG_4705.JPG

IMG_4706.JPG    46.6 KB
IMG_4710.JPG    37.4 KB
IMG_4717.JPG    53 KB
Boze Avatar
Boze Silver Member Rick Bosak
Twin Cities, MN, USA   USA
1966 Austin-Healey Sprite "Time Machine"
In reply to # 3704140 by nonracer I finally got back to work on the car , I got the header Friday and modified the lower portion to fit . I originally bought a manifold from a Chevy Equinox which fit but I didn't like the look plus there were some issues with covering some small holes next to the exhaust port , thanks to Kyle who is doing essentially the same swap I was able to get the header and fit it . Still deciding on a few things but I should be able to start fabricating the new footwells , firewall and trans tunnel .

Steve that header is so much nicer than the Equinox cast iron header. Looks beautiful and like it was made for the Midget. What is this new header from?

66 Sprite, "though she be but little, she is fierce"

AZ, USA   USA
Steve that header is so much nicer than the Equinox cast iron header. Looks beautiful and like it was made for the Midget. What is this new header from?
[/quote]

Its made to fit a 2002-2004 Cavalier ( same car the engine is from ) I looked at them before I bought the manifold but couldn't get any dimensions . I thought from the pictures it was not going to work but Kyle ( a member here ) bought one and put it on his swap so I followed along . Im going to get it coated in satin black for more of the " stock " look .

AZ, USA   USA
New pedal assembly coming in today so I cut out the top of the foot well to make some room . I plan on moving the pedals to the left along with the seat ( as far as I can ) this should give me a little more room for the gas pedal . The starter and block protrudes into the foot well a little .

Attachments:
4F847F4E-BBB1-44F5-B41F-7C6E7E4BF0BB.jpeg    47.7 KB
4F847F4E-BBB1-44F5-B41F-7C6E7E4BF0BB.jpeg

8DCE99E1-E971-4B78-AB02-94CE318228E8.jpeg    49.5 KB
Boze Avatar
Boze Silver Member Rick Bosak
Twin Cities, MN, USA   USA
1966 Austin-Healey Sprite "Time Machine"
As long as you are building that footwell/tunnel structure you could consider building in a removable panel for future access to the starter. Unless you can access it from above or below, hard to tell from here.

66 Sprite, "though she be but little, she is fierce"

AZ, USA   USA
It’s relatively easy to get to but there’s no intake yet , I’m guessing I’d have to pull the intake to change it . Got my Tilton pedal assembly just trying to figure out how to mount it . Pics to follow

AZ, USA   USA
The Tilton pedal assembly I got just isn't going to work how I want it to so Im thinking I'll just relocate the stock pedals over to the left to gain more room for the gas pedal . I started on templates for the footwells , I'm trying to make them look "factory " its a good thing chipboard is cheap and easy to work with . Pics to follow

AZ, USA   USA
Just a couple of pics of templates, once these are done I’ll make the metal panels .

Attachments:
4CF5B06D-DF24-4B38-9A94-BAD300EAD65E.jpeg    37.3 KB
4CF5B06D-DF24-4B38-9A94-BAD300EAD65E.jpeg

BB5EE7B6-A61E-4E88-9003-0E4DFBBF7391.jpeg    30 KB
4D0AF745-409D-4F6F-9364-BF89E59AF4B9.jpeg    40.5 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster