Ecotec Midget build

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
This is my 62 Midget project, with a 2.2 L61 Ecotec and T5 transmission. Just a few pics of the initial engine mock up. I'm getting ready to fabricate the motor mounts and the transmission mount , then I can fabricate the tunnel , firewall, and foot wells .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-29 09:26 AM by nonracer.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1987.JPG    55.5 KB
IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG    50.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2273.JPG    47.3 KB
IMG_2274.JPG    43.6 KB
AZ, USA   USA
Few more pics

Attachments:
IMG_1976.JPG    48.3 KB
IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG    45.4 KB
IMG_2268.JPG    43.1 KB
Mags MGB Avatar
Mags MGB Platinum Member Greg & Maggie
Troy, IL, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Monai"
That is super innovative.........LOVE it!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mjoeb Avatar
mjoeb joe doornenbal
scio, OR, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "Magdalene"
Really cool, keep the photos coming! Thanks! joe

AZ, USA   USA
I've got dozens of hours of planning and research into this build so it will get completed, more pics to come when I get more time to work on it .

AZ, USA   USA
I have to fabricate an intake because the stock plastic one is just to wide to fit without cutting out most of the footwell . I got this flange made for the head an will get some 2" tubing for the runners , I have a 4" pipe for the plenum . Once the motor mounts are done I'll build the intake

Attachments:
IMG_2154.JPG    45.3 KB
IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG    46.6 KB
AZ, USA   USA
Oil pan had a mounting pad for the AC compressor which was wider than the frame rail opening so I just cut it off.

I guess I don't have a pic of it cut off .
Took a picture of it just in case anybody wanted to see it, nothing extravagant smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-30 11:39 AM by nonracer.

Attachments:
IMG_1984.JPG    38.8 KB
IMG_1984.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG    35 KB
AZ, USA   USA
The Ecotec uses an octopus for heater hoses/thermostat housing , I'm not using a heater so I eliminated it and just made a block off plate drilled & tapped a 12mm hole for the temp sensor.

Attachments:
IMG_1991.JPG    43.9 KB
IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG    29.2 KB
IMG_2047.JPG    46.1 KB
Boze Avatar
Boze Silver Member Rick Bosak
Twin Cities, MN, USA   USA
1966 Austin-Healey Sprite "Time Machine"
Nice job Steve. The tunnel is a tough nut. Here is a shot of what we did on mine with a Corolla trans, left just barely enough room for the seats but I think it makes the car stiffer than the original.

66 Sprite, "though she be but little, she is fierce"

Attachments:
IMG_3989.JPG    57.2 KB
IMG_3989.JPG

a.graham52 Aaron Grahan
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
Couple questions,

FI or carb?

If you have deleted your thermostat housing, what is your plans for reintroducing one... and have you thought about any repercussions of coolant not ciculating as well back there? Example: story has it if you leave the heater valve shut all the time on the 1275, the heads can suffer from cracking due to less coolant flow.

Weber DGV
(idle/main/air) 55/160/165.
(secondary idle/main/air) 50/145/180.
1mm hole in primary throttle blade

Baclink Avatar
Baclink Abdou Balde
Indianapolis, IN, USA   USA
Great job. About a year ago I wanted to go that route but it seemed too complicated and pricy so I went with the GM 2.2l and a T-5 both out of an S10.
Let us know how it goes. Really excited to see someone doing it. Where did you get the bellhousing? Did you make an adaptor plate?

AZ, USA   USA
Thanks for the picture Rick , I'm not sure I need to brace it that much but I think I will brace it more than I originally planned .

AZ, USA   USA
Aaron
I will be using an inline thermostat with a bypass similar to how it was plumbed from the factory, heater line delete isn't an issue . Theses engines are run in sand cars all the time and none have heaters

a.graham52 Aaron Grahan
Bar Harbor, ME, USA   USA
I wasn't questioning the "heat" feature so much as the pipe that is now missing that you blocked off. That goes to the water pump doesn't it? I guess I would like to know if the saND rail guys block it off like your doing. Iv worked on these engines since they came out but never delt with a mod like that and more curious then anything.

In reply to # 3501490 by nonracer Aaron
I will be using an inline thermostat with a bypass similar to how it was plumbed from the factory, heater line delete isn't an issue . Theses engines are run in sand cars all the time and none have heaters

Weber DGV
(idle/main/air) 55/160/165.
(secondary idle/main/air) 50/145/180.
1mm hole in primary throttle blade

AZ, USA   USA
I have a Quads4Rods conversion bell housing , it's designed for a T5 with GMbolt pattern . I have a Camaro v6 T5 with the Ford pattern so I made a plate for the bottom and will weld and redrill the bell housing

Attachments:
IMG_2250.JPG    38 KB
IMG_2250.JPG

IMG_2255.JPG    31.2 KB
IMG_2258.JPG    35.2 KB
IMG_2260.JPG    36.5 KB
IMG_2247.JPG    39.1 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster