AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
You are way ahead. I have not worked on mine.

Great JOBthumbs up

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
1744 Avatar
1744 Gold Member Bill Guzman
CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT "Renegade I GT"
1974 MG MGB "Renegade"
I had some extra time last night. Went to my shop and sat the Ecoboost next to the car and look, stare etc. after a few ice teas I observed the location of the turbo and came to the conclusion that the turbo can be rotated so that it sets high, thus clearing the fender well on the B.

New lines would have to be fabricated and the turbo it self may have to be rotated for the lines.
Installing the turbo higher will locate the exhaust at front and the turbo intake in the rear.

I am sure this will work and save lots of time and no cutting.

Once I figure out the alt, then I will put the engine in the bay for the first time.

Then I just need to figure out the exhaust. I think.

It is our attitude that will determine the outcome

Member Services:
MG Classic Conversions V6. Wilwood brake dealer.
Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Bill,
Not sure what you mean by "rotating the turbo". If you mean rotate the compressor housing, that's what I did along with reposition the waste gate actuator.
The way I've approached it still required quite a bit of cutting and gallons of ice teasmiling smiley
Do you mean something different than what I'm doing?
Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
On my 215 I put the turbo on top the intake manifold ala Jetfire configuration and the carb off to the driver's side. That stuck up quite a bit. Had a 3" tall hood scoop from the earlier 4bbl engine and still had to cut a hole in it for the 2" SU carb dashpot. Hope you guys can get it under the hood.

Jim

RGrisham Ryan Grisham
Easley, SC, USA   USA
Update:

I was working last weekend to finalize the wiring and hopefully start up this bad boy. Hit one large snag. My donor is a used fusion engine with the engine harness. Talking with Ford performance the fusion engine harness will not work with the controls pack. The controls pack is designed only for the focus engine harness. (CU5Z-12A581-MA). So now I am waiting for the new harness to arrive. It sounds like it may also need a different crank sensor too. I hope to hear back from Ford tomorrow about it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Ryan,
I was afraid of that, while researching this swap I found Ford had some issues with early Focus ST engine harnesses, the replacement harness part number was ST specific.
What did you do for a fuel pump and tank?
Thanks for the heads up,
Gary

RGrisham Ryan Grisham
Easley, SC, USA   USA
Well I have installed the new harness and had to increase the length for the Charge air pressure and temp sensor in the intercooler, throttle body, and intake temp sensor. Right now I have all the wires just hanging over the car so its not pretty but the motor runs and sounds great. Found out the clutch switches can be plugged in but do not need to be mounted. If you want the safety of the clutch starter interlock then you will only need to use the clutch pedal top switch and place it were it will be depressed when the clutch pedal is in the up position. The bottom switch is not needed and the connector can be hidden away with the wiring harness. Now to start routing the harness and wait for the drive shaft to be made before taking her out on the road.

I will try to upload a video shortly of the motor running.

Jeepstang Avatar
Jeepstang Gary Alvino
Congratulations Ryan!smileys with beer

That's awesome, I know how hard you've worked on this swap, post some pics too, I'd like to see the intercooler location and pipe routing.
Gary

RGrisham Ryan Grisham
Easley, SC, USA   USA

RGrisham Ryan Grisham
Easley, SC, USA   USA
Some pictures of the intercooler location

Attachments:
IMG_4311.JPG    32.5 KB
IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4321.JPG    39.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_4331.JPG    44.3 KB
IMG_4330.JPG    44.9 KB
RGrisham Ryan Grisham
Easley, SC, USA   USA
Intercooler tubing and exhaust.

Attachments:
IMG_4335.JPG    39.9 KB
IMG_4335.JPG

IMG_4336.JPG    42.9 KB
IMG_4461.JPG    36 KB
IMG_4465.JPG    50.2 KB
scott68B Avatar
scott68B Scott Costanzo
Central, OH, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB "GM 5.3 LS4 V8"
Excellent work Ryan! Congratulations on the first start!

What did you do with your steering to get the motor in there? Two u-joints? What about at the front crossmember?

It also looks like you had to cut the firewall back a good bit. Did you add back any support to the unit body in that area or are you satisfied it will be strong enough as is?

Can't wait to see the finished product. Hope you will be able to make the V8 Meet this year.

TVR Scott Scott Noble
Denver, CO, USA   USA
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing all the details.

I just bought a 1973 TVR 2500M and intend to do the same swap on it.

Best,
Scott

Austin500GT Avatar
Mira Loma, CA, USA   USA
Pretty badarse From both of you doing the ecoboost swap.

There happens to be a 72 mazda capella/rx-2 coupe sitting in my yard. I am in the research stage of deciding either 2.3 cylinder or 3.5 version of the ecoboost. I admire the hard work you guys are putting into your cars!!! Ford doesn't make it easy but pair the right stuff together and it works. Ive done a few ford swaps including a v10 but it was all a lot of work compared to others, but its all worth it at the end.

Keep up the great work.drinking smiley

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Do the 2.0 ecoboost.
They make a complete crate engine and stand alone managment system or you can get a junk yard 2.0l and buy the managment kit
252hp/ 360ft lb torque
Bellhousing adapter to T5 5speed is also avaiable rear wheel drive

In reply to # 3754338 by Austin500GT Pretty badarse From both of you doing the ecoboost swap.

There happens to be a 72 mazda capella/rx-2 coupe sitting in my yard. I am in the research stage of deciding either 2.3 cylinder or 3.5 version of the ecoboost. I admire the hard work you guys are putting into your cars!!! Ford doesn't make it easy but pair the right stuff together and it works. Ive done a few ford swaps including a v10 but it was all a lot of work compared to others, but its all worth it at the end.

Keep up the great work.drinking smiley

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster