Chevy Cruze small Ecotec 4 swap

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
Dave, Looks like a good combo to me too. Richard, I would get rid of, or modify a lot of the stock stuff to make the engine look cleaner.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PLT-1 Avatar
PLT-1 Paul G
Weeki Wachee, Brooksville, USA   USA
This looks like a cool swap...

58 MGA coupe 3.4

chevysprite Aaron B
Northfield, MN, USA   USA
Hi jim, if not you then who did this i wanted to be first. Thanks for posting the pics i will have every thing in them by tues. and post pics of my own. I plan on using a narrowed gm 8.5" 10 bolt out of an s10, also reinforcing the tub, and upgrading front brakes and suspension.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
260mgb Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA, USA   USA
If I recall you can do Spitfire rotors and MGB calipers for larger front brakes on a spridget. I'm too busy at work and too far from my projects and enjoy helping others on theirs.

jcd1026 Jason D
Erath, LA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "?"
1978 MG Midget MkIV "None, Yet"
I realize this is a dead thread from way back, but have there been any updates on this combo?
I'm having trouble finding a 1500 crank and have been toying with the idea of something different.

Thanks

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
Haven't seen one. Here is a really neat rotary conversion with lots of room around the engine, though.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/BrianKraus.htm

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
We have 2 Ecotec Midget swaps ( and 1 in a B ) in the works on the forum right now . Mine is in hibernation but Kyle has been making a lot of progress on his . Its more of a custom build than a swap since it requires a lot of modification to firewall , footwells , trans tunnel etc etc . Great engine though .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 05:16 PM by nonracer.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Thought about going Electric ?

Or a turbo L4

In reply to # 3696691 by jcd1026 I realize this is a dead thread from way back, but have there been any updates on this combo?
I'm having trouble finding a 1500 crank and have been toying with the idea of something different.

Thanks

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
I always thought the 1800 out of an MGB would be an interesting swap.

Jim

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
I think most Midget owners looking at a swap would find 95hp and over 400 pounds a bit off putting.winking smiley

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

mjoeb Avatar
mjoeb joe doornenbal
scio, OR, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "Magdalene"
Jim, 1800 b series engine into a midget? I've always thought so but many say no, why? joe

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
I haven't a clue. I do wish Rob would knock it off with the hyperbole though, it's been so well documented that the 1800 weighs in at 350 lbs that I can't imagine what he is thinking. That is heavier than the stock Midget engine but it's the same as a V6-60 and maybe less than a rotary, both of which have been used successfully. Could the engine height be an issue? That I don't know, it might be rather close to the bonnet. I have no doubt it's been done though so a search should turn up something.

Jim

mjoeb Avatar
mjoeb joe doornenbal
scio, OR, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "Magdalene"
The 1800 is longer and heavier but the midget has some extra space under the hood so if the heater shelf is modified to allow for proper placement of said 1800, you could achieve proper weight distribution and so on......

bills Avatar
bills Bill Spohn
W. Vancouver, , BC, Canada   CAN
No one would take an MGB transplant seriously, but a newby might nt understand the irony, so best not to joke when the joke might not be obvious to some.

Old style would have been a pushrod Japanese engine.

Newer style would have been a DOHC 4 cylinder Japanese engine, often Toyota, possibly Fiat or a rotary Mazda.

Modern style would definitely be a small American engine, possibly with turbo, or perhaps a small Japanese or British Ford engine also with turbo. Going that modern means a lot more packaging creativity is required to fit everything in there.

Been asked before here - see https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,2103599 for more ideas.

Bill Spohn www.rhodo.citymax.com/carstuff.html
Current: 1958 MGA Twincam (race car (170 bhp)),1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe (98 bhp)
1957 Jamaican MGA (200 bhp)1965 1971 Jensen Interceptor (350 bhp)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (350 bhp)
2007 BMW Z4M coupe (340 bhp)
Recent: 1969 MGC roadster (175 bhp),Jensen CV8 (375 bhp),
1969 Lamborghini Islero S (350 bhp), 1988 Fiero GT turbo (300 bhp)
North Vancouver BC

mjoeb Avatar
mjoeb joe doornenbal
scio, OR, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "Magdalene"
Bill, I cant speak for Jim on this but if done correctly you would have both brand and period correctness and upon first observation it would be a head scratcher and I am motivated by that. Sorry to be hijacking the thread! sad smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster