Vintage racing - MG TD with Ford V8 60 flathead

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

53flatheadTD Scott Murphy
Huntington, NY, USA   USA
This is how she looks; 1” custom headers look tight but clears the steering shaft, plates were welded on to accept glass pack mufflers that exit out the rear. Hp is approx 85.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
A74DAB64-BEAC-4B52-8023-2513282D080F.jpeg    63.9 KB
A74DAB64-BEAC-4B52-8023-2513282D080F.jpeg

2371CC88-4464-4296-92EA-5B631A3506E4.jpeg    40.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
HealeyRick Avatar
HealeyRick Rick N
MA, Northshore, USA   USA
Nice car. More pics here: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1952-mg-td-18/

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Austin-Healey 3000 w/5.0L and T5Z: http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264

That’s her Rick, still have to ship it down from Niagara Falls, NY area. The gent that redid the car did a beautiful job. Can’t wait to find a nice corner in the garage for it. Gearing is super low (numerically high); in the 4:88 area. Once sorted, I may opt for some more relaxed gearing.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Old racer Avatar
Old racer Ralph Bush
Arroyo Grande, CA, USA   USA
Having raced a Singer back in the '50's we had no trouble blowing the doors off the production TC's, TD's and TF 1250's, the MGV8's were put into the Modified classes of over 2000cc's, however, I don't remember any of them finishing on a podium what was very fast was Harold Erb's blown TC and a Siata with a modified Ford V860 in it. Ken Miles ruled the raceways with his Flying Shingle and really made a name for himself at the Pebble Beach Road Races, his strong competition coming from Dick VanLannen's Singer Special that never really got sorted out but it did get Ken Miles attention. Alas, then came the Porsche 550's and everything else was obsolete. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Dick Van Lannen's Singer Special?
Ralph Bush

Old racer Avatar
Old racer Ralph Bush
Scott,

Your TDV8 looks very nice and clean, a first-class installation. Back in the day while I was racing with the old Cal Club if I remember right the Achilles' heel of the TCV8's in Southern California heat was overheating so keep an eye on your temperature gauge, some ran with the louvered part of the bonnet removed with a leather strap holding down the top part in fact I still have a brand new leather hood strap if it were needed.

Ralph Bush

Hi Ralph; the fellow that reassembled the car Did a nice job; sounds like you were there during THE time many of us can only wish we were. The seller was asked about the heat issue, I am pasting his response: “Good time to comment on the cooling system. It consists of two rebuilt pumps, pulley driven by the alternator belt. Each pump provides water to half of the block via specially designed finned aluminum heads and their unique water logs ($1000). Water temp. is measured by sensors mounted in each log. The radiator is modified to accept two inlets and two outlets. The radiator is cooled by Five high CFM, low amp electric fans . Fans are manually controlled by a switch with light indicator. A fuse protected reply supplies the 12 volts. Since the heads and water logs provide much radiational cooling as well as increased coolant capacity, the original hood bubble has been modified with a front facing screened opening to force air into the engine compartment when the car is in motion. Top radiator connections are copper to aid in radiational cooling. When the car is running at operational temperature each temperature gauge reads approximately 185 degrees, they have never run higher and this has been when the car is stationary without natural airflow”. Thanks again Ralph. Scott

Old racer Avatar
Old racer Ralph Bush
Hey Scott,

It looks like you have the bases well covered plus nowadays we are running with coolant which should also benefit. I was lucky to have run back in the '50's and clear up until a year and a half ago when I hit the wall going into Turn 1 at Sears Point in my Thunder Roadster. In the '50's I raced a Singer SM1500 then a Jag XK120 and then another Singer that was just set up for the track. It was quite a time, my insurance man, George Folmer was auto crossing a VW prior to his getting a Porsche.

Jay Laifman Avatar
Oak Park, USA   USA
That's some insurance agent!!!!

Maybe you've seen my posts before. My dad raced his TD, then XK120 when the cars were new, in the So Cal club scene. I've been looking for his TD (with a Studebaker 6 when he parted with it) - no success so far. His last car was a Tiger. So he ultimately did the V8 thing anyway.

Old racer Avatar
Old racer Ralph Bush
Yes, Jay,

Ol' George could really hustle that V-Dub, one time we all ran on Duffy Livingstone's 1-mile long go-cart track out in Duarte and I think that was when George really got the racin' bug (no pun intended). A Studebaker 6 in an MG, now that is interesting but there was a Studebaker engined car that raced at Indy before all of these cookie cutter cars I hope that you can find your dad's car.

Ralph Bush

P.W. Lester Paul Lester
Dallas, Texas, USA   USA
A Studebaker Six in an MG TD is something I would really like to see. I hope you can find it.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Great picture. I see this and I wonder once again why I've never seen a FHF V8-60 in an MGC.

Jim

There were probably better options by then. I bet the MgC has twice the stock hp as the V8-60 whereas the TD engine was around 50hp stock. In the 1950’s and early 60’s there were also lots of flatheads around and it was considered a reasonable swap.

Jim Blackwood Avatar
Jim Blackwood * BlownMGB-V8
Gunpowder Rd, Florence, KY, USA   USA
Well sure there were better options. But nothing that would look as good. Stock the C produced 145hp 175 tq. OK, Maybe the standard FHF was the better choice.

Jim

Agree with you Jim; looks super cool - a little (fhf) secret is always fun.

Inspect1 Paul C
Hadley, MA, USA   USA
I do not think I have the original Phil Hill car but I have one that I am building that sure looks close. it's a 47 MG TC . it has a v8 60 a quick change out back and no doors just panels welded shut. I will be making it in to a clone if you will. As much as I can.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster