Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BritishV8 Avatar
BritishV8 Curtis Jacobson
Portland, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 2012718 by F1Tom Bill, Would you or your friend Marv send and overview of the installation including gearbox, rear end,
chassis changes, etc...

That sounds like what we call a "How It Was Done" article. If it's sent to BritishV8, I'll catalog it with 284 other How It Was Done articles. Then, it'll be easy for everyone to find going forward. Ref: http://www.britishv8.org/British-V8-How-It-Was-Done.htm

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
2manycars r n
dc, CA, USA   USA
Those photos are Marv's car.

kenjnews Ken Johnson
Santa Ynez, CA, USA   USA
The R-2 PLUS the R-1 are supposed to be, per Autoweek a couple of years ago, in an
Oregon car museum.... if you don't find it I can TRY to find the location..

Ken Johnson

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kenjnews Ken Johnson
About 1952 there was a V-60 TC racing in Colorado.... Kenz and Leslie owned and did the work. I can't recall
the driver's name (he was a polio victim and had little use of his legs). I saw the car race at the Georgetown Hillclimb.

Ken Johnson

P.W. Lester Paul Lester
Dallas, Texas, USA   USA
I think the car you are looking for was called "2 Jr." (two junior).

F1Tom Tom L
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Ken,

Thanks for the info regarding the R-1 and R-2. I'll be traveling in Oregon this July so if you can
get the museum location I would appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Tom Laird

kenjnews Ken Johnson
Hi Tom.

I couldn't find the address, so a callto someone like Ron Tonkin auto dealership might be the answer.. the article
on the R2 was in Automobile , October 2003, staring on Page 74... story is about Robert Cumberford and good details and GREAT photos on the R-2.. I'll keep looking for the OTHER reference on R1 and R2 both being in the same place...

In that article the report is that the car ended p with Pat Hart, Hart Properties in Redmond, Washington... Hart has died but according to the article his sons still have the car. IF NOT, they will for sure know where it went.

ken johnson

let me know what you find, please?

kenjnews Ken Johnson
Hey Tom L how about sharing the V8-60 conversion details if you get them?

I too want to move forward on a project like yours.

I also posted a name for the location in 2003 of both the Ken Miles R1 and R2--flying shingle.

Ken Johnson
pubasoc@aol.com

Jay Laifman Avatar
Oak Park, USA   USA
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I just came across this posting in searching for racing MGs with the Cal Club. My dad had an MG TD that he raced in the 50's in the Southern California area. I have a number of dash plaques and trophies from his wins. For much of it, it was a stock green TD. But, later on, he squeezed a Studebaker straight 6 in it.

I have a picture of it. But otherwise, no additional information. Should anyone know of one, let me know. I'd love to find it!

He sold the TD, got an XK120 and raced that, sold that and bought a 356 and then a 911, not racing either Porsche. I've tracked down the 356, which is happily owned and maintained. I've yet to find the 911, but I'm trying! I have the VINs for those two cars. But, nothing on the MG or Jag.

I have loved TC's since the day my dad must have pointed out the first one. I read The Red Car so many times as a kid, and then probably at least 5 times to my sons. Unless I somehow someday stumble on his TD, I do plan on owning a TC.

HealeyRick Avatar
HealeyRick Rick N
MA, Northshore, USA   USA
In reply to # 2129807 by Jay Laifman
I have loved TC's since the day my dad must have pointed out the first one. I read The Red Car so many times as a kid, and then probably at least 5 times to my sons. Unless I somehow someday stumble on his TD, I do plan on owning a TC.

If you know the races in which he ran, you can go to this site and see if there are any pictures: http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo.html Good luck with your search from another member of the "Order of the Red Car'. I wonder how many guys Don Stanford got hooked on LBCs? Damn that Scholastic Book Club thumbs up smiley

Jay Laifman Avatar
Oak Park, USA   USA
Thanks! Those are great pictures. But, he raced mostly with the MG Car Club of America and the Cal Club, all amateur. I think those clubs may have been the precursor to some other club that is still around. But, I'm not sure. I'll have to research it.

Here's to Hap, Frenchy and the evil Arata! With your best French accent: "Alors, your friend Lennie can go perhaps ninety miles an hour, but he must slow to perhaps sixty on curves or his car will turn over, eh? The little M.G., with this so small engine, will go only eighty miles an hour, and so Lennie can pass it on the straight with his big, fat, lazy, soft engine. But the M.G. does not slow for curves when Lennie does -- it is a flyweight car, this one, but a thoroughbred, and a champion - it will beat Lennie's mongrel heavyweight in a road race."

(I just had to grab the book and find a quick quote)

P.W. Lester Paul Lester
Dallas, Texas, USA   USA
What I want is a set of Frenchie's Bugatti Spanners. :-)

HealeyRick Avatar
HealeyRick Rick N
MA, Northshore, USA   USA
In reply to # 2129837 by Jay Laifman
Here's to Hap, Frenchy and the evil Arata! With your best French accent: "Alors, your friend Lennie can go perhaps ninety miles an hour, but he must slow to perhaps sixty on curves or his car will turn over, eh? The little M.G., with this so small engine, will go only eighty miles an hour, and so Lennie can pass it on the straight with his big, fat, lazy, soft engine. But the M.G. does not slow for curves when Lennie does -- it is a flyweight car, this one, but a thoroughbred, and a champion - it will beat Lennie's mongrel heavyweight in a road race."

(I just had to grab the book and find a quick quote)

Thanks, that brought a smile to my evening. Like reading a piece by Henry Manney III, Rob Walker, Warren Weith, Peter Egan or Burt Levy.

53flatheadTD Scott Murphy
Huntington, NY, USA   USA
Hi Tom, I know this post is old but in if it’s still relevant, I just purchase a ‘53 MG TD with a V8-60 done decades ago. It uses a Ford 9” clutch with stock MG trans, and a restored, stock MG rear, brakes and suspension.

MGST Avatar
MGST Andrew Metford
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Pics? Sounds interesting.

1973 MG BGT - Harvest Gold / Black interior

1974 MG BGT - Bracken / Autumn Leaf interior - http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,11702

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster