Vintage racing - MG TD with Ford V8 60 flathead

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

F1Tom Tom L
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
Does anyone remember or have any information on MG TD's racing in the SCCA/Cal Club modified class in the '50's and '60's. These were powered by a 1937/38 Ford V8 60 flathead. Are there any today vintage road racing?

Remember Ken Miles and his "Flying Shingle"?

Thanks for any Information,

Tom

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bill Young Avatar
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
1952 MG TD
1959 MG MGA 1500
1973 Lotus Europa
1973 MG Midget "Half Asp Or Frank"    & more
Tom, try contacting the Vintage MG Racers http://mgvr.org/ if anyone would know I'd think it would be them as the owner of such a car would most certainly be a member of their organization. When I was at their even in Hallett several years ago there were a lot of TDs, TCs and some pre war types that were racing, but none powered by a V860 as I remember.

Bill Young
'73 Midget
'59 MGA

There is a fine line between a 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.

Paul J Avatar
Locust Grove, OK, USA   USA
I have a modified Ford 60 with Offy heads, duel carbs etc out of a midget open wheel car that ran Yellow Jacket Speedway in Philadelphia, Pa back in the 50s. I don't have the car anymore. I've had it for years. PJ

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
F1Tom Tom L
Paul,

Are you planning on installing the V8 60 in an MG TD or something else for vintage racing? Or maybe something for show or rallying. If so do you have everything from the engine to the rear end? I'd be interested in what kind of build.

Tom

BritishV8 Avatar
BritishV8 Curtis Jacobson
Portland, OR, USA   USA
You might want to visit this link and contact the car's owner via the link at page bottom:
http://www.martineinnmotorsports.com/1952_MG_TD.html

BritishV8 Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
In researching a certain famous Lester MG racecar this afternoon, I've come across three more MG specials with Ford 60 V8 engines.

Paul Bedigo entered an MG-V8 at SCCA's March AFB race in California on November 7, 1954.

Herb Mai entered an MG-V8 at the Buffalo Bill Hillclimb (near Golden Colorado) in 1955.

Burt Levy described an MG-V8 racecar in his first book, "The Last Open Road". He mentioned that the car was built in Detroit MI. I suspect Burt may have been inspired by or referring to the MG V8 owned and raced by Burton D. Jones of Detroit. I know it raced at Watkins Glen in September 1955.

The three respective race reports didn't specify TD versus TC. My impression is that TC V8s were more common. I found these three cars without really looking. I expect if you probe very deeply you'll have no trouble finding a dozen MG V8 specials or more from that era.

BritishV8 Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Someone named "R. Leibensperger" of Allentown PA drove an "MG TC V-8-60 2214cc" at the Giant's Despair hillclimb in July 1953. He took home a trophy for his second place finish in Class D.

BritishV8 Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I'm still trying to write about a Lester MG, and still stumbling over stacks of V8 TCs. Here are the latest:

Two MG V8s raced each other at the Stout Field races in Indianapolis on September 27, 1953:
1) Bob Salzgaber of Columbus Ohio
2) Don Whitz of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Both were listed in the program with description "MG V-8 60"

Three MG V8s raced each other at the Reeves Field races in Long Beach California on October 3-4, 1953:
1) Van Conway of Portuguese Bend entered an "MG-TC (V8-60) 2500cc"
2) Paul Pedigo of Beverly Hills entered an "MG-TC (V8-60) 2300cc"
3) Troy McHenry of Los Angeles entered an "MG-TC (V8-60) 2400cc"
Incidentally, Marion Lowe of Santa Cruz entered a "Willys MG 2654cc" and finished ahead of all three.

2manycars r n
dc, CA, USA   USA
My buddy Marv has a 60 hp flathead in his TD. It runs nice, and sounds great. We took a road trip yesterday in it, and it is more fun than my MBGV8.

britcars Avatar
britcars Phil Ossinger
Fredericton, NB, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 2002417 by F1Tom Does anyone remember or have any information on MG TD's racing in the SCCA/Cal Club modified class in the '50's and '60's. These were powered by a 1937/38 Ford V8 60 flathead. Are there any today vintage road racing?

Remember Ken Miles and his "Flying Shingle"?

Thanks for any Information, Tom

Here's a pic of the Flying Shingle.

Adventure before Dementia.
The older you get, the more important it is not to act your age.

Attachments:
Flying Shingle.Ken Miles.2.jpg    63.5 KB
Flying Shingle.Ken Miles.2.jpg

wombat G. W. Hardy
TX, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Geraldine"
1972 MG MGB "None"
Now there was this guy named Phil Hill out on the west coast in the '50s who raced a lowered and lightened MG TC with a Ford V-8 60 in it with some success. Wonder where that car is now??

Wombat

F1Tom Tom L
Phil, That's it! The Flying Shingle, looks nicely restored. where is it now?

Tom

F1Tom Tom L
Bill, Would you or your friend Marv send and overview of the installation including gearbox, rear end,
chassis changes, etc. I have a '53 TD MK II that needs too much to restore in stock config. I remember a couple
of V8 60 powered TD's racing in Calif. in the '50/'60's. and thinking of recreating one.

Thanks for any info,
Tom

britcars Avatar
britcars Phil Ossinger
Fredericton, NB, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 2012692 by F1Tom Phil, That's it! The Flying Shingle, looks nicely restored. where is it now? Tom

Tom, I don't know where it is or who owns it but it was at Pebble Beach in 2006 or 2007.

Adventure before Dementia.
The older you get, the more important it is not to act your age.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-15 11:09 PM by britcars.

HealeyRick Avatar
HealeyRick Rick N
MA, Northshore, USA   USA
In reply to # 2012718 by F1Tom Bill, Would you or your friend Marv send and overview of the installation including gearbox, rear end,
chassis changes, etc. I have a '53 TD MK II that needs too much to restore in stock config. I remember a couple
of V8 60 powered TD's racing in Calif. in the '50/'60's. and thinking of recreating one.

Thanks for any info,
Tom

Here's a beauty from the HAMB:

Here's the original thread. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675051&highlight=mg&page=3 Join up and PM the owner

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links