Door modification.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sisprite Geoff Hollands
Queensland, Australia   AUS
Just wondering if anyone has stretched their Midget doors. Bad knees are making it hard for a friend of mine to get in and out of his Midget.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
Stretching doors means cutting the car in half and also lengthening the car. Not a light duty task.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
Which way would you go? Structure would be compromised at the B pillar. The A pillar cowl is already teeny. Perhaps the only way to make the opening bigger is to cut down the doors ala TR3, TC, TD. I bet over the years someone has tried this. Also might try a straight cut up the front of the door and changing the windshield and seats (??)

Also might look into a pocket door like the Kaiser Darin or barn door like the sides of a minivan?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mark NC Gold Member Mark Woolf
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
Years ago I recall there was an article in one of the British periodicals (can't remember which) on a person modifying a Midget to an automatic transmission to accommodate his being a quadriplegic. The door opening was enlarged at that time to create easier access. Probably still have it in the attic with all the old books and magazines that I haven't brought myself to toss.

Maybe someone else out there can lay their hands on the article.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Bugeye Guy in Connecticut stretched a BE by 6 " for a tall Texas Client a while back a few years ago. Google Bugeye Guy and give David a call or drop him a note. I'm sure there were lots of challenges he ran into when doing this project. But in viewing the final product at his WebSite

CRH Charley H
Prospect, KY, USA   USA
Geoff,

It might be easier to hinge them at the back and latch them at the front if that would make enough difference getting in and out. It would be easy enough to test by just removing the door to try it.

Charley

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
The guy that modified the A-post to lengthen the door also posted about it online. I thought it was this forum, but it might have been the britishcarforum.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese...SCRAPPED"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
If you hinged at the back, you could cut into the A pillar a couple inches. If it wasn't for body flex, I could see making a Spridget with suicide doors. That is, if they would stay latched reliably.

refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, MI, USA   USA
I find it harder to get in and out of a car with suicide doors than regular doors. The suicide door is really in they way. confused smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster